Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE / OBSOLETE: Four (4) Minimum AA segments required to earn / keep status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ARCHIVE: Four (4) Minimum AA segments required to earn / keep status

SUMMARY: American Airlines had stated a rule for many years that AAdvantage members must fly a minimum of four (paid) AA marketed flights (including those operated by other carriers) or segments during the calendar year to earn status benefits, but this rule was not enforced until c/y 2014. As bhomburg shared and Djokison reports, May 2014 account summaries included the following:

The required minimum AA segments rule will not apply starting Jan 1, 2017.

The following information is now archival, as AA no longer imposes this requirement on AAdvantage members now that it has introduced the concept and requirement of earning Elite Qualifying Dollar minima.

Elite-Status Qualification Requirements

It has been reported here that status is not posting when members have earned the required miles or points but have not flown (paid) AA marketed flights; AA CSRs are telling them status is not reflected because of the absence of (paid) AA segments. (N.B. Award segments will not qualify.)

*Must fly at least four (paid) segments on American during the qualifying year to receive elite status.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/main.jsp.
Note: You must fly at least four segments on American Airlines or American Eagle to qualify for Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold status within the qualifying year. Qualifying miles do not include class-of-service bonus miles, other participant miles or any other AAdvantage bonus mileage. Miles purchased through buyAAmiles and giftAAmiles do not qualify for elite status.
bhomburg and flatlander both have had verified with AA CSRs one must fly four AA marketed segments to qualify for AAdvantage status in a given year. Codeshare flights (AA flight number, operated by another carrier) count as AA segments:

"American Airlines marketed codeshare flights would count towards the four segments on American Airlines, American Eagle, the American Connection carrier... required to qualify for Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold status within the qualifying year".
Others have pointed out AA operated flights, even marketed as BA or CX, have also counted. These if true are generally considered as extra-ordinary and should not be counted on.

Award flights do not count toward the four segment requirement.

Lifetime or challenge-gained status are exceptions not requiring four AA marketed segments.

Previous and obsolete posts have been archived to: OBSOLETE / ARCHIVE: Questions about the '4 AA segments' needed to earn status

Revised 30 May 2016 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE / OBSOLETE: Four (4) Minimum AA segments required to earn / keep status

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2015, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
I am wondering if a pax flew a multicity XXX-DFW-HKG-DFW on AA metal and ticket stock in full fare premium cabin, and nothing else for the year, would AA dare to deny Gold status for coming up one segment short?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 7:37 am
formerly gohima

Just confirming, AA-marketed US Airways and Us Airways Express count towards the four segment minimum. I'm hitting 50k EQP for the year this week but only one segment on AA and want to lock in my PLT before it expires at the end of this month..
Old Feb 17, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: Free agent
In response to JonNYC, post #210:

It seems to me that ckx2's experience suggests that 4 AA metal flights (despite being codeshare flight numbers, e.g. BA6700 or whatever) is also fulfilling the 4-flight requirement. This would support serfty's more generous reading of the website text too.

If this is correct, then the four flights can be any combination of the following:
  1. AA/US flight number and AA/US metal;
  2. AA/US flight number and any EQM-eligible metal (OW, AS, etc); and
  3. OneWorld flight number and AA/US metal
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by klymen
In response to JonNYC, post #210:

It seems to me that ckx2's experience suggests that 4 AA metal flights (despite being codeshare flight numbers, e.g. BA6700 or whatever) is also fulfilling the 4-flight requirement. This would support serfty's more generous reading of the website text too.

If this is correct, then the four flights can be any combination of the following:
  1. AA/US flight number and AA/US metal;
  2. AA/US flight number and any EQM-eligible metal (OW, AS, etc); and
  3. OneWorld flight number and AA/US metal
This makes perfect sense, since all the scenarios you list result in AA actually getting some money from you for a flight - either directly or from a codeshare partner.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by JonNYC
They didn't enforce this for 2014 qualification. 2015 qualification (flight activity in 2014) was the first year they enforced it.
I believe ckx2 is indeed referring to travel in 2014 earning platinum status for 2015 and further with the 'same story' part for 2015 - based on 'agent on hotline' if, for example, they travel no more this year they have still qualified AAdvantage Gold for 2016.
Originally Posted by ckx2
That was my initial question. How come I have received platinum for 2014 while not matching this criteria? I had zero US/AA marketed flight - only BA flight numbers operated by AA that qualified for the four-segment requirement. (BA booking, BA flight number, last segment operated by AA).

Same story in 2015 - CX operated by AA and hit gold threshold and agent on hotline confirmed I'd receive indeed gold as I have flown flights ON (operated by) AA/US. (CX booking, CX flight number, last segment operated by AA).

This is confusing.

Last edited by serfty; Feb 17, 2015 at 1:31 pm
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: LH HON
I was indeed referring to travel in 2014 earning me status for 2015. Sorry if it was confusing.

I just don't get the whole thing to be honest. According to moderators and more experienced users in this forum I shouldn't have received platinum status at all, while the agents on phone stated the flight must take place on US/AA metal so it can be CX flight no operated by AA in the end and still counts towards status.

I've had zero AA/US flight no in 2014.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:28 am

Unhappy Dropped to Gold despite 62K points 72K miles

I am cornered back into Gold and need community help to see if there is a way back into Platinum.

Situation:
- CY2014 activity of 62K points and 72K miles
- Dropped to Gold as of March 1, 2015

I inquired with AAdvantage Customer Service, they too are puzzled quite a bit. After minutes of holding, came back with this reason:
- You flew only 3 segments on American.

!?!?.. Thinking back, indeed I did only Alaska and British Airways in 2014.

I requested exception, got denied by the supervisor.

From there, they gave me option to "buy" Platinum for $1200. I countered with Platinum challenge, $200 only if they count my 17K points worth of travels on British Airways in the last 2 weeks. Denied again, why? Because I *was* already Platinum during those trips and thus they cannot take those for the challenge.

I think I may be the only one here dropping out of Platinum despite investing in 62K points worth of travels to AA.

Can anyone think of a way out of this? If I knew of the 3 segment requirement, or even notified of that on the web site, I would have made arrangements to deal with that.

Thanks.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Magician
Can anyone think of a way out of this? If I knew of the 3 segment requirement, or even notified of that on the web site, I would have made arrangements to deal with that.
Ouch! That's a harsh result. Sorry to hear.

That said, the "must fly four AA metal segments for elite status" has been on the AA website since AA put up a website. I think there may have been years when it was ignored or waived, but it's never been a "secret" rule. These days, it's featured prominently:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/main.jsp

*Must fly at least four segments on American or US Airways during the qualifying year to receive elite status.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
Unfortunately it does state on elite levels
*Must fly at least four segments on American or US Airways during the qualifying year to receive elite status
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/main.jsp

so assume they re now enforcing this.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
...If I knew of the 3 segment requirement, or even notified of that on the web site, I would have made arrangements to deal with that.

Thanks.
The devil is in the details...

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/main.jsp

*Must fly at least four segments on American or US Airways during the qualifying year to receive elite status.
Granted there is nothing that specifically counts down the 4 segments on AA requirement, but it is in the terms you agreed to. Now that's not to say if you called back in another agent might be more lenient and give an exception (provided your account has not been noted that you've tried already).

Last edited by RogerD408; Mar 3, 2015 at 11:42 am Reason: Gotta learn to type faster... :)
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Unfortunately, it's AA policy not to grant a Challenge to regain status, so you're out of luck (nice try, however).

It's also unfortunate that AA requires one to fly four segments on AA, US flights (codeshares count) within one year, and you didn't do that. The policy has been U enforced, but it's enforcement was announced mid-2013. We have several members who report status was not granted due to insufficient AA / US flight (including codeshares) segments.

As is stated in the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ed-2014-a.html

American Airlines now (c/y 2014) is finally enforcing the previously stated but unenforced rule that AAdvantage members must fly a minimum of four (paid) AA (includes US now) operated (including those marketed by other carriers) or marketed (including those operated by other carriers) segments during the calendar year to earn status benefits. As bhomburg shared and Djokison reports, May account summaries included the following:

2014 Elite-Status Qualification Requirements
IMO, your possible chance at status recovery at this point might be a snail mail to:

Primary Contact
Sean Bentel
Vice President Customer and Relations
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155

Otherwise, to pay for your Platinum status to be restored as offered.

BTW, we'll soon merge this into the thread linked to above.

/Moderator
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:00 pm

...despite investing in 62K points worth of travels to AA.
You 'invested' most of your travel budget on airlines other than AA. AA didn't profit (much) from your travels.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I think it's reasonable for AA to require customers to actually fly some flights on AA/US. Makes sense to me. Otherwise, it's not much of a LOYALTY program.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Wow- that is a tough stance on AA's part.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Wow- that is a tough stance on AA's part.
Well, it at least looks like he was gifted Gold status somehow. I thought soft-landings were also gone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.