Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Main Cabin Extra ("MCE") Enhanced Legroom in Coach
Eligibility, costs, refunds, what happens if bumped from MCE, etc.

Link to MCE page on aa.com

aa.com: ... With Main Cabin Extra you get a seat towards the front of the Main Cabin with up to six inches of additional legroom to stretch out and relax. You also receive Group 5 boarding which gives you plenty of time to get on the plane, stow your luggage and get settled with prices starting at $20.

Beer, wine and spirits are on us; plus free Biscoff cookies or mini pretzels and soft drinks. Additional food or drinks may be available for free or to buy, depending on your route.**
AA announced enhancements to MCE:

“Enhanced bin access” (bins over MCE seats placarded for MCE use only; Flight Attendants will not be required to enforce this placarding as police).
*Overhead bin space availability varies by aircraft

“Complimentary beer, wine and spirits.”
**Free alcohol is available on flights with full drink service

On aa.com, FAQ on MCE: Link

Who gets complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats?

• AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members
    • oneworld® SapphireSM and oneworld® EmeraldSM members
      • Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket*

All listed members are allowed complimentary access for up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation.

AAdvantage Gold and oneworld® RubySM members

• Enjoy complimentary access within 24 hours of departure when seats are available

Other restrictions

Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats.

*For travel ticketed in booking code Y on or after August 30, 2017, you'll no longer get complimentary Main Cabin Extra or Preferred seats. This includes AAnytime awards booked in Main Cabin.
On a related note, and with a dedicated thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html and

Link to AA Preferred Seats FlyerTalk thread

Q: Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?

A: Yes, Main Cabin Extra is available for purchase when traveling on a Business Extra Plan AAhead ticket. Main Cabin Extra can be purchased by travelers on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award and by travelers on an AAdvantage AAnytime Award. This is for travelers without status. Ability to purchase on the SAAver award and requirement to pay on an AAnytime award are recent changes.
Older posts have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Main Cabin Extra / MCE in service; questions, eligibility (consolidated)

Now that individual threads exist for each aircraft type, specific questions and comments regarding each aircraft should be posted in the relevant threads.

Examples:
Print Wikipost

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
500 mile upgrades can be used by elites (Gold and higher) on any fare, and otherwise just as a companion to an elite. Note I'm not sure if they can also be used on full-fare Y?
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. That'll teach me not to save them. Now I'm going to have a bunch I can't use once I'm status-less!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by bswiz
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. That'll teach me not to save them. Now I'm going to have a bunch I can't use once I'm status-less!
You'll retain them so once you're elite again you can use them. You may be able to convert them to RDMs as well.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:09 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
You may be able to convert them to RDMs as well.
That option is no longer available for US and non-US AAdvantage members.

(http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html)
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Does AA refund MCE for Golds who upgrade using 500 mile certs?

I see some references in the forum to that last year, but AA's site says "non-refundable", etc. I havn't flown in a while and was downgraded in status, but have an upcoming transcon that I don't think I could stomach in a standard Y seat.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:36 am
Suspended

Received a free main cabin extra seat upgrade on a pretty empty MD80 flight, even got my own row. Was on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 11:12 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by doctor15
Does AA refund MCE for Golds who upgrade using 500 mile certs?

I see some references in the forum to that last year, but AA's site says "non-refundable", etc. I havn't flown in a while and was downgraded in status, but have an upcoming transcon that I don't think I could stomach in a standard Y seat.
Suggested reading + next handful of posts: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post25361612

Seems like the answer is yes - you'll get refunded for MCE fee if your upgrade clears (though you may have to be proactive and request if the AA refund don't kick in automatically).
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:52 am

I am currently Platinum, which will not renew at the end of February. I will revert to lifetime Gold. I have about eight flights booked in March through May, for which I've reserved MCE seating. What will happen when my Platinum status expires? Will I lose my MCE seats or be required to pay for them?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Sticker upgrade cleared, flight cancelled, now can't even get MCE

So I'm flying to NYC tomorrow from LAX. I had a FC ticket but the flight got cancelled, they reissued me a new ticket for AA2 straight through to JFK, and I'm in a middle seat in row 22. Only seat left at the time.

So I'm thankful I got the seat, but I had a FC ticket, and was flying to LGA now it's to JFK and arriving 3 hours later, not exactly continent for me. BTW the ticket was a confirmed upgrade not a paid F ticket.

Since this was a weather related cancellation and not a mechanical one, can I expect any compensation from AA. Mostly upset about the 3 hour delay and the change in airport, but the way back horrible seat kinda sucks too lol.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Have you read your detailed fare rules? There should be a clue there. Also: When you say "FC ticket", was it an "instant upgrade" type ticket, or paid full F?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JDiver
Have you read your detailed fare rules? There should be a clue there. Also: When you say "FC ticket", was it an "instant upgrade" type ticket, or paid full F?
Originally Posted by aabrad
. . .BTW the ticket was a confirmed upgrade not a paid F ticket.
. . .
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
It was upgraded with my 500 mile upgrades. And honestly I have no idea how to check the fare rules.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
It was upgraded with my 500 mile upgrades. And honestly I have no idea how to check the fare rules.
Probably no need, since essentially AA has rescinded your upgrade because of the flight cancellation and placed you in a coach seat (what you're entitled to).

--Make sure you have your upgrades redeposited in your account.
--Make sure you're on the upgrade list for the new flight.
--Keep checking the seat map on aa.com or the mobile app and snag an MCE seat or a regular coach window or aisle seat if one appears.
--You might be able to ask AA for compensation for travel from JFK to LGA if you have a car parked at LGA or some such.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:04 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Probably no need, since essentially AA has rescinded your upgrade because of the flight cancellation and placed you in a coach seat (what you're entitled to).

--Make sure you have your upgrades redeposited in your account.
--Make sure you're on the upgrade list for the new flight.
--Keep checking the seat map on aa.com or the mobile app and snag an MCE seat or a regular coach window or aisle seat if one appears.
--You might be able to ask AA for compensation for travel from JFK to LGA if you have a car parked at LGA or some such.
I thought 500mile upgrades dont get take. From accounts until the flight is leaving? Not 100% sure As I have only used them one time as I only fly international. But thats my recollection so op would not need to worry about those...
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: AA PLAT; SPG PLAT100; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Avis Pres. Circle
Originally Posted by kauppias
I thought 500mile upgrades dont get take. From accounts until the flight is leaving? Not 100% sure As I have only used them one time as I only fly international. But thats my recollection so op would not need to worry about those...
They don't take them out until after your flight (typically takes about 2-3 days).

Also, I'm assuming the OP was not originally due to fly direct as there are no direct LAX-LGA flights.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since this was a weather related cancellation and not a mechanical one, can I expect any compensation from AA. Mostly upset about the 3 hour delay and the change in airport, but the way back horrible seat kinda sucks too lol.
If AA is blaming "weather" for the cancellation, then you'll get nothing and like it.

However, if you don't like the auto-re-accommodation and you have some flexibility, you could have asked AA to re-schedule you on a different (probably later) flight(s) where you might have had an exit row or MCE.

Originally Posted by NYCbased
Also, I'm assuming the OP was not originally due to fly direct as there are no direct LAX-LGA flights.
Yes, I think that's a given (assuming you meant "nonstop"). Probably via DFW or ORD.

There may be "direct" flights between LAX and LGA, as "direct" means a single flight number that makes a stop somewhere along the way, with or without a plane change. Perhaps the OP was on such a "direct" flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.