Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Main Cabin Extra ("MCE") Enhanced Legroom in Coach
Eligibility, costs, refunds, what happens if bumped from MCE, etc.

Link to MCE page on aa.com

aa.com: ... With Main Cabin Extra you get a seat towards the front of the Main Cabin with up to six inches of additional legroom to stretch out and relax. You also receive Group 5 boarding which gives you plenty of time to get on the plane, stow your luggage and get settled with prices starting at $20.

Beer, wine and spirits are on us; plus free Biscoff cookies or mini pretzels and soft drinks. Additional food or drinks may be available for free or to buy, depending on your route.**
AA announced enhancements to MCE:

“Enhanced bin access” (bins over MCE seats placarded for MCE use only; Flight Attendants will not be required to enforce this placarding as police).
*Overhead bin space availability varies by aircraft

“Complimentary beer, wine and spirits.”
**Free alcohol is available on flights with full drink service

On aa.com, FAQ on MCE: Link

Who gets complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats?

• AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members
    • oneworld® SapphireSM and oneworld® EmeraldSM members
      • Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket*

All listed members are allowed complimentary access for up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation.

AAdvantage Gold and oneworld® RubySM members

• Enjoy complimentary access within 24 hours of departure when seats are available

Other restrictions

Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats.

*For travel ticketed in booking code Y on or after August 30, 2017, you'll no longer get complimentary Main Cabin Extra or Preferred seats. This includes AAnytime awards booked in Main Cabin.
On a related note, and with a dedicated thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html and

Link to AA Preferred Seats FlyerTalk thread

Q: Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?

A: Yes, Main Cabin Extra is available for purchase when traveling on a Business Extra Plan AAhead ticket. Main Cabin Extra can be purchased by travelers on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award and by travelers on an AAdvantage AAnytime Award. This is for travelers without status. Ability to purchase on the SAAver award and requirement to pay on an AAnytime award are recent changes.
Older posts have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Main Cabin Extra / MCE in service; questions, eligibility (consolidated)

Now that individual threads exist for each aircraft type, specific questions and comments regarding each aircraft should be posted in the relevant threads.

Examples:
Print Wikipost

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2020, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by roadtriper
I haven't flown in an MCE seat since they included free Adult Beverages, can I assume that Beverage service is Standard Coach service and drinks avail when cart comes through?
or do FA's check back at any time for refills in MCE? What's your experience? what's the Etiquette if I'd like a second Woodfords? order a double? Thanks RT
It's standard coach service. They usually offer 2 to MCE people. If they offer one, and you want 2, just ask. If you want a refill between service intervals, you can go to either galley and ask for a refill. (they have plastic cups in the F galley for this reason). Or you can push the call button (that button with the image of a person offering a beverage) and the FA will come to you.
roadtriper likes this.
Old May 2, 2020, 10:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Well for now no alcohol beverages are served in Y, even, including I believe on flights over 2.2K miles. Whether free alcohol to MCE will come back is questionable.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
I saw this: https://thepointsguy.com/news/aa-seat-fee-voucher/

Is this correct? Booking a MCE and then if you have to cancel the flight to get Travel Credit for future flight you can also get MCE credit? I thought previously you only got MCE refund if AA cancelled/changed or you upgraded on the replacement flight.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 4:32 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Refund entitlement question:

Three of us, on separate reservations, had bulkhead seats A, B, C to sit together. We each payed ~$30 bucks for the 1.5 hr flight.
Last minute swap resulted in 1 person bulkhead center seat, 1 person emergency exit row with no extra legroom, and 1 person in emergency exit row with extra legroom, but in between fixed armrests. One of the more uncomfortable flights I've taken in my life, but at least it was short.

I know one of us is entitled to a refund, but would I have any grounds to request a refund for either of the other two? Didn't get window seat like we paid for, didn't get to sit together like we paid for. Got an immovable armrest (I know there can be minor cost differences between seats with limited recline/other flaws and typical MCE seats)
???

TIA.

Last edited by joecool1885; Jul 21, 2021 at 2:37 pm
Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:17 pm

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
How Many Drinks in Main Cabin Extra

Wife and I have have a number of trips in the up coming weeks on a multi destination trip. All in Main Cabin Extra. No status

When it says free drinks. It is just one drink? Is it the same as if sitting in First in terms of beverage service?
Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
It will likely be FA dependent. Be advised that on flights of less than 2 hours the time the FAs get the beverage carts out, do the service to a packed plane and then collect trash it's landing time so you may not have an opportunity to ask for another round. Also, even on longer flights FA no longer do a second beverage service. If you want another drink you're going to need to proactively ask for one.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:49 pm

When the come through in coach for beverage service, you can order what you want. I have been successful in getting doubles all but once (on a regional). They rarely offer a second round of beverage service in coach, so if you want a second you need to flag a stewardess down or press for service. I’ve been able to get a second on the limited occasions I’ve tried.
What has been amazing to me is that I’ve never seen another person taking advantage of the free alcohol in MCE since service resumed. I suspect it is because most are last minute standby passengers who are unaware of the benefit. The crew definitely does not promote it.
dc10forlife likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 3:39 pm

I have had a few good FAs over the years that will stop and ask if we need a second round, but that is the exception rather than the rule (and only on longer flights).

Using the call button is apparently controversial for some FAs. "That's for emergency use only," they will say. If that is the case, why is it called a "call button" rather than an "emergency button"?

So rather than risk raising the ire of the FA, I will usually try to flag them down before my drink runs out. If it runs out, then I'll resort to the call button or will stretch my legs and go back to the galley.
robertablake likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 4:09 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
4 MCE flights this past weekend, and in each instance, I was given a drink when they passed by with the cart, and a second drink upon my request when they collected the trash 30-40 minutes later. If I had wanted more, I would have walked back to the galley to ask.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 7:53 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Flew DFW-PHL a few weeks ago in MCE and asked if MCE pax were entitled to a free drink to which the FA responded, "just one."
Old Jun 2, 2022, 8:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
We're on an upcoming flight in MCE....in the Exit Row. On that flight there are about 4-5 rows of MCE, then some (green) preferred, then the lone Exit Row in the midst of the green.

Would we get better service if we moved up to the main part of MCE?
Old Jun 2, 2022, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
We're on an upcoming flight in MCE....in the Exit Row. On that flight there are about 4-5 rows of MCE, then some (green) preferred, then the lone Exit Row in the midst of the green.

Would we get better service if we moved up to the main part of MCE?
No. Your entitlement to free drinks will be plain on the FAs handheld device. Just order the drink. Your odds of getting a snarly FA who doesn't want to pour you a double do not depend on your row.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 8:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Thanks.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 9:08 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by COEWR2587
Wife and I have have a number of trips in the up coming weeks on a multi destination trip. All in Main Cabin Extra. No status

When it says free drinks. It is just one drink? Is it the same as if sitting in First in terms of beverage service?
When the first cart service comes around, get your drink(s). Ask for a double if you wish. If it's a long-ish flight and they do a 2nd service, you can ask for more. In any event, you can go back to the galley and ask, but you may get a crew that pushes back with their own one or two drink limit made up rule. The AA web site is nebulous in that it says "On flights with full drink service. The number of drinks served may be limited." They purposely don't specify a limit, which means the FAs can make their own judgement based on what they feel is appropriate. If you use your best judgemen(and manners)t and don't come off as a pain in the a*** to the F/A's, they'll usually oblige another request. If they don't, it's a losing battle to argue with them.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...abin-extra.jsp
donotblink and Kawliga like this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Only one data point, I was flying in January 2020 and was in an MCE row with 3 seats; a couple was next to me. The man tried to order two beers and the FA said she could serve him only one because his girlfriend was sleeping, so it seems like it was one per person. (I ordered one and handed it to him, since I didn't want anything for myself.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.