Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Update: BOS-CTS booking issue

I tried the AU call center again at 0600L and was routed to POS once again. However, the agent in POS was able to issue the requested award (BOS-TYO-CTS and v.v.). As expected, she didn’t see any award space on TYO-CTS and started checking alternate dates.

After some typing, she told me she’d been able to confirm the space in both directions on my original dates. So I had her issue the tickets. I asked her if she’d had to search manually and she said she’d done something like that (presumably a long sell). The tickets are pending now, but I’ve got PNRs and the miles have been deducted. So it looks good.

All told, it took around 10 phone calls to get this issued: 3 to EXP Desk, 5 to AU/NZ (redirected to POS) and 1 each to JP and HK. What an enormous pain in the neck, especially when AAgents won’t even consider the idea that maybe their systems aren’t infallible.

I’ll also add that of the 3 EXP agents I spoke to, one was excellent, one was average and one (the supervisor) was both unhelpful and unprofessional. After refusing to long sell, the EXP supervisor left me hanging for a few minutes on an open line while he complained to a coworker about management and dealing with customers.

Kudos to AA for making something simple so difficult and unpleasant.

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
See JohnNYC's link above for award class information. AA only recently added JAL availability and obviously they did not get it perfect the first time. JAL International Economy awards book into T class but domestic Economy books into S class. JAL domestic economy awards have historically only been available 60 days out when not married to an international award. It looks like the website is not marrying JAL domestic awards to the international segments more than 60 days out. I would think this should be possible through the call center but agents vary in their training so YMMV. You need to make sure the agent is searching for married segment (complete journey) availability and that the domestic segment award class is specified as S class. Since it's a mixed class itinerary (even in coach) with a non-standard economy booking class for the domestic segment I would not be at all surprised if their automated system does not handle it beyond 60 days out and this may only available as a long sell.
Saw that and mentioned it to several AAgents, even the excellent EXP desk agent. None could see anything in T/S. Not sure if it's a training issue or a system issue. I did specifically ask one EXP agent to attempt to long sell it and she was unable to get it to confirm. Ultimately, it was an agent at POS who was able to successfully long sell it.

Last edited by swingaling; Aug 5, 2019 at 4:57 pm
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:48 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Close-in Award Ticket

I’ve searched the forum to no avail - how close to departure is one able to book a JAL award?

Currently booked in F on JL5 JFK-HND. If my wife and I can get our act together in the morning I may want to switch to the earlier JL3 JFK-NRT, which has only one other person in the cabin as of now.

Could i change on the drive to JFK assuming there’s still availability? Thank you in advance!
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:15 pm

I don't know of any limits, but for most places you're going in Tokyo, HND is going to be a way quicker trip to your hotel.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by RW123
I’ve searched the forum to no avail - how close to departure is one able to book a JAL award?

Currently booked in F on JL5 JFK-HND. If my wife and I can get our act together in the morning I may want to switch to the earlier JL3 JFK-NRT, which has only one other person in the cabin as of now.

Could i change on the drive to JFK assuming there’s still availability? Thank you in advance!
I know with CX the cut-off is 4 hours before departure. I'm not sure if there is a similar cut-off for JL. Generally speaking, AA awards on partner airlines are not ticketed automatically but rather go through some sort of liaison; hence, the need for some lead time. Once, I changed a CX ticket on the day of departure (a Saturday) but with more than 4 hours before departure, yet I arrived at the ticket counter and the new reservation had not yet been ticketed. A call to AA fixed the problem relatively easily, but arriving at the airport to find I had no ticket was a bit stressful.
Zacnlinc and hp12c like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Question for folks - I think I may have slightly missed an opportunity.

I am taking my daughter to Japan in April. Osaka and Tokyo - however I was under impression I had to add the intra-Japan flight at the 60 day window. Now thinking I have to do it at booking (or just pay for it - and that's fine but think i missed an opportunity so want to verify).

So the plan was PHL--> ORD --> NRT then at 60 days add NRT - KIX (Knowing it's Y). Spend two days in Osaka, train back to Tokyo - spend 5 days there and fly home.

Did I miss my option to get NRT --> KIX added for free as part of my trip or am I understanding correctly must be done at 60 day window?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
Question for folks - I think I may have slightly missed an opportunity.

I am taking my daughter to Japan in April. Osaka and Tokyo - however I was under impression I had to add the intra-Japan flight at the 60 day window. Now thinking I have to do it at booking (or just pay for it - and that's fine but think i missed an opportunity so want to verify).

So the plan was PHL--> ORD --> NRT then at 60 days add NRT - KIX (Knowing it's Y). Spend two days in Osaka, train back to Tokyo - spend 5 days there and fly home.

Did I miss my option to get NRT --> KIX added for free as part of my trip or am I understanding correctly must be done at 60 day window?
Yes, unfortunately you missed your window to add NRT-KIX for free. Although JL domestic tickets cannot be purchased by themselves more than 60 days before departure (this is changing soon), they can be added as part of an international reservation at booking. Changing your destination now will likely incur a $150 fee.

If you decide to purchase NRT-KIX (although I would recommend ITM over KIX, if possible), take a look at the Japan Explorer Pass (or whatever it's called now), which might save you some money. There are also a number of LCCs that fly this route.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Yes, unfortunately you missed your window to add NRT-KIX for free. Although JL domestic tickets cannot be purchased by themselves more than 60 days before departure (this is changing soon), they can be added as part of an international reservation at booking. Changing your destination now will likely incur a $150 fee.

If you decide to purchase NRT-KIX (although I would recommend ITM over KIX, if possible), take a look at the Japan Explorer Pass (or whatever it's called now), which might save you some money. There are also a number of LCCs that fly this route.
Thank you. That's mildly unfortunate user error. Do you happen to know if this would work as an EXP (I am; and have already qualified for next year too) without the $150 change fee?

I am trying to balance a complete unwillingness to risk our F awards already booked and wanting to have the NRT --> KIX/ITM on the same ticket so protected in IRROPS. I would sooner pay the walkup fare for intra Japan flight rather than risk my F awards If i can't add it and keep everything else intact.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
Thank you. That's mildly unfortunate user error. Do you happen to know if this would work as an EXP (I am; and have already qualified for next year too) without the $150 change fee?

I am trying to balance a complete unwillingness to risk our F awards already booked and wanting to have the NRT --> KIX/ITM on the same ticket so protected in IRROPS. I would sooner pay the walkup fare for intra Japan flight rather than risk my F awards If i can't add it and keep everything else intact.
If you are EXP, then you would not have to pay the change fee. Adding the NRT-ITM shouldn't mess up your F award, but you might have to HUCA to get an agent who knows how to search JL domestic award space and add it to the booking.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
If you are EXP, then you would not have to pay the change fee. Adding the NRT-ITM shouldn't mess up your F award, but you might have to HUCA to get an agent who knows how to search JL domestic award space and add it to the booking.
Thanks - I will try (and report back).
flyingeph12 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:10 pm

I've been trying to add a leg from ITM/KIX to HND/NRT to a NRT-USA award that is on hold. I called 4 times and none of the agents could see availability. When I asked one agent said she was searching S class but none is available. Any recommendation to get the domestic leg added? Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by pointsifu
I've been trying to add a leg from ITM/KIX to HND/NRT to a NRT-USA award that is on hold. I called 4 times and none of the agents could see availability. When I asked one agent said she was searching S class but none is available. Any recommendation to get the domestic leg added? Thanks in advance.
Is this for an award within the next 60 days where you can find availability yourself on the AA.com website? Should be no problem.

Outside 60 days currently availability is married to an international segment so if you already have the international segment held I do not know if they will be able to do a married segment availability check on the complete journey unless there is current availability for the international segment outside your hold. Maybe agents have a workaround? This may all change later in September when JAL expands the domestic award availability window.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Is this for an award within the next 60 days where you can find availability yourself on the AA.com website? Should be no problem.

Outside 60 days currently availability is married to an international segment so if you already have the international segment held I do not know if they will be able to do a married segment availability check on the complete journey unless there is current availability for the international segment outside your hold. Maybe agents have a workaround? This may all change later in September when JAL expands the domestic award availability window.
Thanks. This is for an award in April 2020. I used to be able to add/drop domestic segments as part of an international award that was on hold. But seems like things have changed and can't find an agent who knows how to do it.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Apologies if this has been asked before and my search skills need some work...

I am planning a trip to Japan with my wife and upcoming infant. It'll be our first time traveling with an infant. If I were to book via Avios on the way out in F (to take advantage of their mileage-based infant surcharge) and AAdvantage on the way back in economy, do you know what fare would be used to calculate the 10% infant surcharge? Would it be the one-way Japan->USA fare available the day I book the ticket? If so, that would probably add up to quite a bit, even in Y.

Thank you in advance to all the parents (and policy enthusiasts) on the forum!
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by pointsifu
Thanks. This is for an award in April 2020. I used to be able to add/drop domestic segments as part of an international award that was on hold. But seems like things have changed and can't find an agent who knows how to do it.
I would try HUCA. If that does not work I think you might have a better chance to add a domestic segment once the award actually tickets.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 5:12 am

I am currently holding an award ticket from DFW-NRT-NGO in economy. If DFW-NRT in Business award availability becomes available for just DFW-NRT before my flight, can I upgrade just that segment? Or does availability need to be available as a married segment DFW-NRT-NGO at the time? My concern is that the specific flight I want to take for NRT-NGO would not be available at that time (it is just before the Japanese F1 Grand Prix near Nagoya). Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.