Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2022, 4:17 pm

Sorry for the double post...
Old Nov 30, 2022, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by calculus1918
Checked today, our flight for October 24, 2023 still shows the same on AA.com as Status: On request

Should I be concerned, we made the original booking with an AA agent on Sunday morning. Since then, we have already booked our flight via Jetblue to JFK to prepare for this trip. When I called AA today, the customer rep said that Japan Airlines needs to review the booking, it's been close to 4 days. Just hope it goes through...
again, please call the AA number for australia and select the IVR option for aadvantage. They should ticket it on the spot.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 3:13 am

I tried AA Australia just now, was on hold for about 10 minutes and eventually hung up (will try again later). Can you explain why AA Australia would be able to ticket this booking but AA American can't? I tried to find flyertalk on this but didn't see any. Again, appreciate the help and all of the valuable information, hope this works out.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 6:19 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
I tried AA Australia just now, was on hold for about 10 minutes and eventually hung up (will try again later). Can you explain why AA Australia would be able to ticket this booking but AA American can't? I tried to find flyertalk on this but didn't see any. Again, appreciate the help and all of the valuable information, hope this works out.
Have you tried calling the US number and asking for a supervisor?
Old Dec 1, 2022, 8:21 am

Different training, different capabilities, and often times different things they can see in their system.

US AA will tell you it has to go to the partner for review and it's completely out of their hands. AU AA will tell you hold on, I'll send it to ticketing now and voila, it'll be ticketed while you're on the phone.

US AA can't see certain EY F awards. AU AA can.

When in doubt, I call Australia or Singapore and it gets done.
skimthetrees and DiamondMile like this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 1:53 pm

Thanks for the awesome info!!! I called AA Australia and they had more updates, said since the booking is not till October of 2023. They need to review more recent flights first, and my case hopefully/may be completed by early next week. Never knew this "trick," you guys are awesome, thanks!!!
Old Dec 2, 2022, 9:02 am

Hopefully this is the best place to post this, has anyone been able to search for award flight via AA.com to Australasia from Europe or the US? It’s been about 6 months now and it throws up an error when searching, it’s not an availability issue I’m sure as it’s a consistent error for an AUS/NZ/Pacific Is. search, however there are no issues when searching outwith.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 6:15 am

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Checked today, our flight for October 24, 2023 still shows the same on AA.com as Status: On request

Should I be concerned, we made the original booking with an AA agent on Sunday morning. Since then, we have already booked our flight via Jetblue to JFK to prepare for this trip. When I called AA today, the customer rep said that Japan Airlines needs to review the booking, it's been close to 4 days. Just hope it goes through...
Thanks for the awesome info!!! I called AA Australia and they had more updates, said since the booking is not till October of 2023. They need to review more recent flights first, and my case hopefully/may be completed by early next week. Never knew this "trick," you guys are awesome, thanks!!!
I had a similar experience in the spring when booking AA awards with JL flights approximately 10 - 11 months in advance. I don't know if this makes a difference, but I used a phone representative to build the itineraries, because AA.com wouldn't let me combine the desired US connecting flights and the partner flights. For the outbound flight, I called AA (US) when it hadn't ticketed in ~3 days, and was told to wait about three more days, and it ticketed within a week of booking. For the return, I got busy and was traveling and didn't follow-up with AA by phone, so I think it was about two weeks by the time I called. At that point, the agent intervened to get it ticketed. It was an instance where it got stuck somehow but JL had reserved my seat. It happens sometimes.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 1:54 pm

Question on Business to First Upgrades

Hello,

Total newb here (both to AAdvantage in general & booking JAL award tickets through it) with a quick question I’m hoping one of you can help me out with. Let me lay out this scenario:

Let’s say I’m able to find award availability on a one way flight in business class when they initially become available (I believe I read it’s 331 days out?), but not first class, and I book the business class ticket for 60k miles. Then I check back when last minute first class availability opens for my dates during the last 2 weeks before the trip, and I find a first class seat. Can I simply upgrade my ticket, I assume by calling AA, for the difference of 20k miles? Or is that not possible and I’m locked into the business class booking?

I know I’m very unlikely to find first class especially since I’m traveling with a companion (so I’d technically be looking for two seats), but figured it can’t hurt to check right up until the end if it’s possible to do this. Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:44 pm

Yes you can do that. AA no longer charges a fee to cancel anyway, but even in the past you could do this (with some exceptions if had had also changed carriers).
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:46 pm

Yes you can do that and only pay the difference in tax and miles
Old Dec 7, 2022, 12:21 am

What’s the latest on 2 week in JAL F opening? I see a flight I have in about 4 weeks with F7 and EF shows 4 seats open and 2 blocked. I did some poking around for flights that are currently 2 weeks out and don’t see any thing on Qantas search open even though EF shows F7 and open seats as well.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by traveler202
What’s the latest on 2 week in JAL F opening? I see a flight I have in about 4 weeks with F7 and EF shows 4 seats open and 2 blocked. I did some poking around for flights that are currently 2 weeks out and don’t see any thing on Qantas search open even though EF shows F7 and open seats as well.
So your flight is on Jan 4 (which today is in the pattern)? If your flight is F8 and it is on the alternating 2 week pattern it probably will show 1F award. You say your flight is F7? That means one seat is booked already and they may not release another until closer in.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
So your flight is on Jan 4 (which today is in the pattern)? If your flight is F8 and it is on the alternating 2 week pattern it probably will show 1F award. You say your flight is F7? That means one seat is booked already and they may not release another until closer in.
Thanks for the info. Can you point me to where I can read more about the pattern? I've searched on here but can't seem to find the specific post about the close-in pattern. I just thought it was 14 days.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 2:58 pm

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Is AA still having phantom issue ? it‘s showing available between HEL to TYO (via LHR) in F but can‘t book … thought this was fixed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.