Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Awards: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015)

This thread is about our members' successful award bookings on Etihad / EY using AAdvantage miles. Please do not post to this thread if you want tips and assistance on booking Etihad awards with AA miles but see this thread: How to use AA miles on Etihad / EY (Consolidated / Master Thread). The wikipost of that thread also contains instructions on how to search for EY availability.

Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) may be found at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles
Print Wikipost

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
How far in advance?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
What routing?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:11 am

My first post here.

Just manage to book HKG-AUH-LHR without stopover at AUH.
AA charged 85K for F, wasn't it 70K?

Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MasterJ
My first post here.

Thanks!
No. It requires 2 awards

Asia 2 - Middle East 45K
Middle East - Europe 40K

Total 85K.

Whether you choose to have a stopover or not makes no difference

To do it as a 70K award, you need to make a booking for flight which goes directly to Europe from Asia 2 . E.g. CX or BA to Europe

It may cost 15k extra, but some of that may be offset by the value of Chauffeur Drive provided
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:26 am

My first post here.

Thanks!
85k is accurate (45k + 40k).
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:29 am

My first post here.

Thanks!
Isnt' HKG-AUH on a 2-class aircraft?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stargold
Isnt' HKG-AUH on a 2-class aircraft?
Looking in January, it does seem to be 2 class : if in business class to AUH, then should be 30K + 40K = 70K
Old Dec 14, 2015, 1:31 am

To my knowledge it has always been served with a 2-class A332 since the launch, hence my question. Unless the OP forgot to mention a transit point where 3-class aircraft is used, such as SIN.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by stargold
To my knowledge it has always been served with a 2-class A332 since the launch, hence my question. Unless the OP forgot to mention a transit point where 3-class aircraft is used, such as SIN.
My first redemption, just told her would like to book a F ticket from HKG to LHR with EY. She managed to find a seat, just check the ticket, it was really HKG-SIN-AUH-LHR. Could I change it to HKG-AUH-LHR and get 15K miles back? Don't really want to do HKG-SIN.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 2:53 am

Yes, but you will have to pay a USD150 fee, so I would personally just keep the ticket as it currently is.

Leaving aside the convenience factor, SIN-AUH on the 789 F would be worth the 15k miles extra compared to HKG-AUH in J.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Got three biz seats without any issues. Ticketed within 12hrs.
LHR-AUH a few days before the flight.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Aegean Miles+Bonus, IHG Rewards Club, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by SDAA
Follow-up to my post above:

I looked on the Etihad website, and there was inventory put back in for the A380 flight I was booted out of. So I called AA Australia, and they were able to put me back in the original A380 flight in just a few seconds.

So if anyone experiences the same problem, call Australia. US AA will not be able to help.
It looks like this is the case with AA awards. Seeing availability in Etihad's site for LHR-AUH on Feb 1st 2016 I called the US number and they kept saying there's no award availability, they even checked from mid-Jan to end-Feb. Then I called the AA Australia and within 5 mins I had the reservation done. Now it's "on request" status, I do hope it will be ticketed in the end.

Hat's off SDAA for this tip!
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:05 pm

Has anyone ever booked an award on the Jetihad JFK-AUH or AUH-JFK then switch to the 338 flight if an award seat opens up?

Thanks.

Last edited by tranceformer978; Dec 14, 2015 at 8:17 pm
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: American Executive Platinum, Delta, Alaska, Hyatt, SPG
Anyone else having difficulty seeing the Etihad flights on the BA site?

They don't seem to be showing.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by ErickG
Anyone else having difficulty seeing the Etihad flights on the BA site?

They don't seem to be showing.
As Etihad is not a member of One World (but an AA partner) BA will not display these flights. Use Etihad's own web site to search for awards (there are many tips on this on this forum) - it's easy to use and you don't even need to join Etihad's FF program to search for award seats - only "Guest Seats" are available with AA points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.