Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Awards: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015)

This thread is about our members' successful award bookings on Etihad / EY using AAdvantage miles. Please do not post to this thread if you want tips and assistance on booking Etihad awards with AA miles but see this thread: How to use AA miles on Etihad / EY (Consolidated / Master Thread). The wikipost of that thread also contains instructions on how to search for EY availability.

Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) may be found at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles
Print Wikipost

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Help please

I want to book an award from BKK to AUH, stopover, then on to JFK using AA miles. I know AA doesn't allow stopovers, so that is out of the picture.

My question then is, can you book BKK-AUH-JFK? I don't see any miles listed on Asia 2 to Middle East on AA partner award chart.

Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Help please

I want to book an award from BKK to AUH, stopover, then on to JFK using AA miles. I know AA doesn't allow stopovers, so that is out of the picture.

My question then is, can you book BKK-AUH-JFK? I don't see any miles listed on Asia 2 to Middle East on AA partner award chart.

Thanks!
Sure. It's 22.5k/30k/45k in Y/J/F between Asia 2 and the ME. They just don't fill out the full grid symmetrically.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Sure. It's 22.5k/30k/45k in Y/J/F between Asia 2 and the ME. They just don't fill out the full grid symmetrically.
Can you build an award from BKK to JFK with a connection in AUH? Or does AA not allow transiting the Middle East
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Help please

I want to book an award from BKK to AUH, stopover, then on to JFK using AA miles. I know AA doesn't allow stopovers, so that is out of the picture
Since you have to use TWO awards, these are separate trips and you can stop at AUH as long as you like. Stopovers are not allowed in the middle of a single-award-multiple-flight trip, but no single award is applicable to this trip. To do BKK-JFK on a single award you have to go transpacific.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by jms_uk
Any suggestions where/how to look for the availability on a combined EY and QF itinerary?
I'd suggest checking each leg independently, and match up dates yourself. I'd use the EY site for EY award space, and the QF site for QF awards.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
I'd suggest checking each leg independently, and match up dates yourself. I'd use the EY site for EY award space, and the QF site for QF awards.
BA.com works fine for QF also.

Presuming you're looking for the long way down under? So that will be EY into AUH, then their car service over to DXB to pick up QF I take it?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by anabolism
Originally Posted by arlflyer
BA.com works fine for QF also.

Presuming you're looking for the long way down under? So that will be EY into AUH, then their car service over to DXB to pick up QF I take it?
Thank you both for the suggestions.

I am looking at AUH-SYD on EY [I've checked this on etihad.com] and then onto AKL [via MEL or BNE] on QF.

Strange case of availability and/or lack of it:

Checking SYD-AKL on AA, I am only offered Y. Checking DXB-SYD-AKL on AA, it offers SYD-AKL in C. Checking SYD-AKL on BA - it has no availability at all. Checking on EF, I can see some seats in C. About to check on QF and then will try extrapolate some flights that should/will have SYD-AKL in C.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: A few
Seeing F7 and F8 on JFK-AUH in the coming days... is Etihad now in the biz of opening up the cabins if flights are empty? That would be very nice!
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:34 pm

Just booked AUH-LHR for May in the new Apartments!

Doing DEL-AUH-LHR-TXL for 40K with EY F on the first two segments is quite the deal!
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1MM - SPG Gold - HH Gold - MR Silver
Just booked PSP-SFO-JFK-AUH-MLE starting on 19JAN16. 90K AA. Pretty good deal I think..

19JAN-PSP-SFO-AS F/C
20JAN-SFO-JFK-AA F/C
21JAN-JFK-AUH-EY F/C (A380)
23JAN-AUH-MLE-EY B/C

Last edited by AerophilePS; Mar 8, 2015 at 6:36 pm
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AerophilePS
Just booked PSP-SFO-JFK-AUH-MLE starting on 19JAN16. 90K AA. Pretty good deal I think..

19JAN-PSP-SFO-AS F/C
20JAN-SFO-JFK-AA F/C
21JAN-JFK-AUH-EY F/C
23JAN-AUH-MLE-EY B/C
Very nice routing as well. ^
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1MM - SPG Gold - HH Gold - MR Silver
Originally Posted by SFO777
Very nice routing as well. ^
Thanks! Been keeping an eagle eye on the F/C availability since they announced the 380. Good timing as I'll be able to spend my birthday in the Maldives next year. ^
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:57 pm

Just booked the following for 40K in Dec:

CPH-LHR BA J
LHR-AUH EY F

Nice to have the daytime flight to enjoy the cabin/service instead of the red-eye from AUH. Going to use the EY Chauffeur to get myself to DXB to catch 8 hours later:

DXB-SYD QF F
SYD-CHC QF J

Worked out nicely - paid a 20K premium over flying the direct QF LHR-MEL flight a day, but I get to try the new Apartments, spend another day in NZ, land in CHC over AKL (wasn't available a day later) and I get to use the SYD QF F lounge.

Fingers crossed that mid-December AUH-SYD award inventory will open up (been watching it for weeks and nothing.)
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:32 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Booked 2 seats in May for 60,000 AA miles per person RT

EY AMS-AUH-MLE in J
EY MLE-AUH-DUS(789) in J

Is there any likelihood that F seats will open up in the 789 leg, and will AA allow me to change the ticket and pay extra miles to get the F seats?
thanks

(sorry this is actually my first AA award booking so please go easy in me )
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP - MR Plat - HH Gold
Originally Posted by hcampana
Booked 2 seats in May for 60,000 AA miles per person RT

EY AMS-AUH-MLE in J
EY MLE-AUH-DUS(789) in J

Is there any likelihood that F seats will open up in the 789 leg, and will AA allow me to change the ticket and pay extra miles to get the F seats?
thanks

(sorry this is actually my first AA award booking so please go easy in me )
Keep checking, is all you can do. But yes, there is a possibility.

AA will let you change your ticket but you will be charged to get your miles reinstated and then charged taxes and fees for the new F ticket, if you are able to change it. The only way you can avoid this is if you are executive platinum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.