Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stifle
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Link to LHR page on aa.com

Link to London-Heathrow web pages

Link to Wikipedia page on LHR

Link to FT - AA thread London Heathrow (LHR) <-> Gatwick (LGW) Transport / Transfer (master thread)

The vast majority of arriving passengers with a passport from the European Union, Switzerland or, effective 20 May 2019, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea or USA can now use arrival immigration eGates without any fee or pre-registration requirement. But for those transiting LHR with a non-UK/non-Ireland destination and no luggage to claim during transit at LHR, the eGates are generally irrelevant since most such passengers don’t enter the UK-Ireland Common Travel Area.

NOTE: Connecting flights between Terminal 5 and Terminal 3 - please allow a minimum 1 hour 30 minutes between flights.

If you are unsure which terminal your connecting flight departs from, see "Which terminal does my flight depart from / arrive?"

For gate to gate connection assistance in T-3, AA Five Star Service can be used (fee, must be in AA Business or First on incoming or outbound flight). For interterminal assistance, see https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...cierge-service for Heathrow Meet and Assist.

LHR is composed of four terminals (Terminal 1 is now permanently closed). American Airlines and many oneworld airlines (e.g. AY, BA, CX, IB, JL, QF, RJ, UL) use Terminal 3. MH and QR use terminal 4. BA uses Terminals 3 and 5. These terminals are not connected - you can not walk from one to the other. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.

Transferring/ Connections at LHR interterminal can be done three ways:

Link to interactive custom Heathrow Flight Connections Guide

1) Landside: exit your terminal and process HM immigration and customs as if you were arriving in the UK, then take the free train or busses connecting to other terminals. With most hotels, if you are staying overnight you will most likely utilise the "Heathrow Hoppa" busses costing £6 for one person or £11 for a family one way, £11 for one person and £21 for a family return; family is up to 2 adults and 3 children. A small discount is available for buying your ticket at a ticket machine in select hotels or via the HH website. You must proceed landside if planning to use the AA (or BA) Arrivals Lounge, which close at 1400 hrs / 2 PM as these are landside. (See post no. 627, here, for local land & hotel transport options.)

Inter-terminal landside connections can be via rail (free) or walking, depending on the terminals. See the diagram for Heathrow Express terminal connections, free when you are traveling within the airport's confines. See here You can also travel between the terminals, or Hatton Cross station, free of charge via the Piccadilly line, but you must touch a contactless payment card/Apple/Google Pay or Oyster card on the faregates at the start and end of your journey. When changing terminals via Heathrow Express or Elizabeth line you can either do the same or get a free paper ticket.

2) Airside:

Follow the signage to Flight Connections, where you will proceed a bus waiting area at airport ground level and take a bus to your next terminal, where you will proceed through boarding pass, carryon check a standard airport security check. Now you are ready to catch your next flight. Flight connections Minimum Connect Times are ordinarily 75 - 90 minutes (the latter for connections between T3 and T5).

NOTE: You must be at your connecting gate 20 minutes prior to departure. If you must recover bags and re-check (e.g. oneworld to non-oneworld or LCC) you must check your baggage in at least 45 minutes prior to departure.

Use this tool available from this page on LHR's website that include a step by step guide through Flight Connections. The page also offers videos. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.[/quote]

Typical Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 Flight Connections path:

T3–>T5 see posts 674, 675.1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

3. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here.

4. Ready to fly: Staff will check that you're in the right place, your hand baggage meets airline regulations, and you have time to catch your onward flight.

5. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

6. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

7. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.

NOTE: Flight departure gates are listed in only sufficient time to get to the gate, not hours (or often an hour) prior to departure.

Typical Terminal 5 to Terminal 3 Flight Connections path:1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

NOTE: As there is a new AA desk at the bus boarding point, you can get your AA boarding pass and pass the AA oral security questioning while you await the bus.

3. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

4. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

5. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here. But see 2A if flying AA.

6. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.

Lounges:
Airside lounges at LHR are designated departure lounges. You use the lounge in the terminal you're departing from – arriving and departing passengers are separated, so it's not possible (for example) to use a terminal 5 lounge if you are arriving in terminal 5 and departing from terminal 3.

Terminal 3 lounges include:

Airside, departure lounges:
American Airlines Flagship / First Class Lounge - Lounge Zone H
American Airlines Admirals Club - Lounge Zone H
British Airways Galleries First and Club lounges - Lounge Zone F
Cathay Pacific First and Business lounges near Gate 11
Qantas Airways London Lounge - Lounge B / Gate

Landside, for arriving AA and BA long haul passengers who flew in first or business class, or any class if oneworld Emerald (no guest)
American Airlines Arrivals Lounge (recently renovated)

Terminal 5 lounges:

Airside lounges:
British Airways Concorde Room (longhaul BA First)
British Airways Galleries First Lounge - South Concourse
British Airways Galleries Club lounges both North & South Concourses
British Airways Galleries Club lounge T5B Satellite

Landside, for arriving BA First/Club World passengers and oneworld emerald members in World Traveller or World Traveller Plus (no guest)
British Airways Galleries Arrivals Lounge

For hours, access, amenities, etc. consult the oneworld lounge access tool here

Link to the most useful London Heathrow International Airport website. Click on "Connections" for a connection assistance tool.

For long connections where you might wish to go to London, you can use "the tube" (Underground, ~50 minutes, cheapest), busses to various locations, taxis (the most expensive, about 45 minutes) or "minicabs" and other hired cars, the Heathrow Express (15 minutes to Paddington station) or Heathrow Connect (30 minutes to Paddington). You can also Uber or bus to nearby Windsor town, and with sufficient time even tour Windsor Castle.

For links to local and local hotels, other airports (such as Gatwick, ~1:30), railroad stations (Feltham, Watford, Woking and Reading), intercity coaches (such as Oxford) start at this page.

The Tube takes 50 minutes from the Central / Terminals 2/3, T-4 or T-5 stations using the Piccadilly Line. Link to LHR tube page; link to London Toolkit page on LHR and Piccadilly line; link to Transport for London page.

The Heathrow Express / HEX departs T-5 and takes 21 minutes (it stops at Central / T2/3, six minutes) and onward to Paddington (15 minutes, about 1/3 of the time a taxi would take, though a taxi or bus can tale longer in some traffic). The trains have 15 minute headway (depart every 15 minutes) and have baggage racks.

(If you stay at Hilton T-4, board HEX at T-5, go to Central / T-2/3, get off, take the connecting train to T-4 (4 minutes), all free. From T-4 follow the signs to the hotel, perhaps 10 minute walk by covered board walk).

The Elizabeth Line (formerly TfL Rail) costs less, takes 30 minutes to Paddington from the Heathrow stations, and continues to key central London destinations such as Tottenham Court Road and Liverpool Street.

This London Heathrow International Airport connection / transfer thread has been split off from the original thread, which can be read here: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow (obsolete, trailing thread).

For other terminals please see ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Also see this page for MCT information.

Print Wikipost

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tt120
Looking for some LHR connection guru's for some guidance Thanks to a schedule change trying to figure out what to do so I don't have an 8 hour LHR layover.

Was originally scheduled for AA flight into T3 then 1:30 connection time to BA in T5 for flight to BLL. Well of course AA changed their schedule and departed 5 min later so now our connection time is 1:25 - which is technically "invalid" so the system put me on next flight to BLL which leaves 8 hours later. I do NOT want to spend 8 hours in LHR.

So here is my question:

Is 1:25 enough to connect between T3 and T5? I have status but my companion does not so fast track seems to be out. Is that extra 5 min really matter? Maybe I get get AA to force ticket?

Other option seems to be to switch flight outta JFK to a BA one which will land in T5. This will leave me with a "valid" T5 connection time of 1:15.

I really want to make the AA flight work as we are in the new Premium Economy seats on AA's 77W. The BA flight is a 744 and would be in economy.

Advice? thoughts? Thanks so much in advance!
Your itinerary isn't going to remain with a connection time of 1hr 25 mins unfortunately, at some point before you travel the system will spot the issue and rebook you to get the connection above MCT. You are best of having a look at the options and calling to rebook to what you prefer.

Is there an earlier AA JFK-LHR flight or is this the first one in the evening?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I just did the T3 to T5 connection yesterday, although from AY to BA, but I think still applies the same.

Fast Track cards are for immigration; they don't do anything for security. As a OWE, you can use Priority Security at T5, which may or may not be faster... You can bring a companion through with you. It puts you upstairs on the end of the security that those exiting the UK use. Usually that end area is just for Priority, but not necessarily.
I had 2:10 yesterday, and I needed nearly every minute of it. I was in biz on AY. We arrived into an end of T3, the walk to the bus seemed endless, I'd guess at least 15 min. Then the bus ride was another 10-15 min. Then plan for 10-15 min to get through security at T5, then a few more minutes to get to your gate. I arrived at the gate and boarded in 5-10 min, but I was on a 747, so they board those earlier.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
I just did the T3 to T5 connection yesterday, although from AY to BA, but I think still applies the same.

Fast Track cards are for immigration; they don't do anything for security. As a OWE, you can use Priority Security at T5, which may or may not be faster... You can bring a companion through with you. It puts you upstairs on the end of the security that those exiting the UK use. Usually that end area is just for Priority, but not necessarily.
I had 2:10 yesterday, and I needed nearly every minute of it. I was in biz on AY. We arrived into an end of T3, the walk to the bus seemed endless, I'd guess at least 15 min. Then the bus ride was another 10-15 min. Then plan for 10-15 min to get through security at T5, then a few more minutes to get to your gate. I arrived at the gate and boarded in 5-10 min, but I was on a 747, so they board those earlier.
thats seems unlucky. My usual T3-T5 connection times are around 45 minutes on average. I don’t think I have ever taken an hour or more.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA

thats seems unlucky. My usual T3-T5 connection times are around 45 minutes on average. I don’t think I have ever taken an hour or more.
Perhaps LHR was unusually busy yesterday, but that's how long it took. The line waiting for the bus at T3 was quite long.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:46 am

Perhaps LHR was unusually busy yesterday, but that's how long it took. The line waiting for the bus at T3 was quite long.
Maybe. As general advice though I would say normally it would be in the 45 minute rage and an hour most. In any case it’s a little irrelevant as the OP’s connection is less than MCT so won’t remain like that.

Last edited by KARFA; Jan 17, 2018 at 8:10 am
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
Similar question as Peanuts. AA J into T3 -> BA CE (to DUB) from T5.

Arriving around 10:10, departing at 13:25, so just over 3 hours. Wife will need a fix by then, after a 10hr flight. I guess there is a place she can grab a puff before the bus at T3, while still airside?

While the AA arrivals lounge would be nice, would time allow? Fast track for immigration, so would that speed it up? What options would there be airside for a quick shower (we can speed it up and share one) in either T3 or T5? Admirals Club?
With just over 3 hours, you have 2 real options:

1) After arriving at T3, take the flight connections bus to T5, clear security, and use the BA lounges in T5.
2) Clear immigration in T3 and go to the AA Arrivals lounge there for showers, then take the train over to T5, clear security, and head towards departures.

Taking the bus straight to T5 and using the showers at the BA lounges in T5 is definitely the quickest option, but there is often a decent wait for the showers there (it's usually ~60-90 mins every time I pass through).
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:10 am

Thank you JJeffrey. Kind of what I was thinking, but the timing of it all wasn't specifically clear in knowing if there would be enough time. Sounds like there should be as long as the queue for immigration isn't terrible.

Thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
... but there is often a decent wait for the showers there (it's usually ~60-90 mins every time I pass through).
I've never had to wait for a shower at the T5B lounge. Typically the short-haul flights leave from A, but even with the train/walk to B, I think it would still be faster than clearing immigration for the shower in T3.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Looking for some LHR connection guru's for some guidance Thanks to a schedule change trying to figure out what to do so I don't have an 8 hour LHR layover.

Was originally scheduled for AA flight into T3 then 1:30 connection time to BA in T5 for flight to BLL. Well of course AA changed their schedule and departed 5 min later so now our connection time is 1:25 - which is technically "invalid" so the system put me on next flight to BLL which leaves 8 hours later. I do NOT want to spend 8 hours in LHR.

So here is my question:

Is 1:25 enough to connect between T3 and T5? I have status but my companion does not so fast track seems to be out. Is that extra 5 min really matter? Maybe I get get AA to force ticket?

Other option seems to be to switch flight outta JFK to a BA one which will land in T5. This will leave me with a "valid" T5 connection time of 1:15.

I really want to make the AA flight work as we are in the new Premium Economy seats on AA's 77W. The BA flight is a 744 and would be in economy.

If I had a 8 hour connection at LHR, I would go into London on the HEX and have lunch and a couple of pints in a pub and head back to the F lounge of the departing flight terminal.. I've done it several times, and it's easy and mostly efficient, especially as an EXP + 1 guest.

Also if you have to go through security at T5 as an EXP, you can access the relatively new First Wing security lines, which makes it relative breeze, and it drops you off into the Galleries F Lounge. Very convenient.. just did it this past Sunday.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Spire, Hertz President Circle

Thanks so much for the input. Looks like I will have to change my JFK-LHR flight to the BA one that ARRIVES in T5 which meets the MCT of 1 hr on the crummy 744 in economy and give up my Premium Economy seat in AA's 77W
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Spire, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
If I had a 8 hour connection at LHR, I would go into London on the HEX and have lunch and a couple of pints in a pub and head back to the F lounge of the departing flight terminal.. I've done it several times, and it's easy and mostly efficient, especially as an EXP + 1 guest.

Also if you have to go through security at T5 as an EXP, you can access the relatively new First Wing security lines, which makes it relative breeze, and it drops you off into the Galleries F Lounge. Very convenient.. just did it this past Sunday.
Hmmm , good point that's a possibility I haven't thought of. Is there a way to store Hand baggage at the lounge so we would not have are carry around?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:38 am

Thanks so much for the input. Looks like I will have to change my JFK-LHR flight to the BA one that ARRIVES in T5 which meets the MCT of 1 hr on the crummy 744 in economy and give up my Premium Economy seat in AA's 77W
Can't you get a seat on BA in PE? If you book through BA, you might be able to get more EQD that way too (worth checking into at least).
Even a T5 to T5 connection in an hour might be tight. I had one last Sep with 1:15; I made it, but with little time to spare. At least with a connection that tight, you should be able to use the, "express," security at T5B or T5C. Check the monitors and see where your outgoing leaves from, and go directly to those, if it applies.

Hmmm , good point that's a possibility I haven't thought of. Is there a way to store Hand baggage at the lounge so we would not have are carry around?
I've used this for luggage storage at LHR when I had a long connection a few years ago:
https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...s/left-baggage

The prices seem about the same as what I remember. It is a bit steep...
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:55 am

Can't you get a seat on BA in PE?
I agree I can't see the OP shouldn't also get premium economy if rebooking on to a BA flight.

Even a T5 to T5 connection in an hour might be tight. I had one last Sep with 1:15; I made it, but with little time to spare.
Where are you going on these connections aztimm?

At least with a connection that tight, you should be able to use the, "express," security at T5B or T5C. Check the monitors and see where your outgoing leaves from, and go directly to those, if it applies.
Just to clarify, the connections centre in T5B and C are available if you arrive in to B/C and your onward flight is already showing as departing from B and C. These connection centres in the satellite buildings are not used very much so tend to be fairly quick. However, short haul can often depart from A though (the OP is going to BLL I believe) so may have to go to flight connections in T5A. There is lots of information on connecting at T5 in the guide on the BAEC board, see the link in my signature.

I've used this for luggage storage at LHR when I had a long connection a few years ago:
https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...s/left-baggage

The prices seem about the same as what I remember. It is a bit steep...
It's about £10 for a few hours for one bag I seem to remember from when I last used it. The left luggage is in T5 on the ground floor at the north end opposite Giraffe. If the OP decides to go out then when you exit to landside at T5 turn right and it is about 50m along on your right.

Alternatively if taking the HEX in to central London there is a left luggage at Paddington.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Can't you get a seat on BA in PE?
Perhaps the OP has complimentary PE on AA if this is before the June date when PE is officially being sold on the 77W? If that's the case, the OP purchased Y and won't be entitled to W on BA.

To answer the original question, it's definitely taken me longer than 90 minutes to make the connection on numerous occasions at LHR, so I no longer book an itinerary with less than a 2 hour connection.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:52 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Quick connection T5 to T3 LHR ques. (to merge)

I flew on BA from ZRH to LHR (today) arriving in T5 (satellite area). I deplaned at 2:15 pm. Following the "connection" signs there was an agent (AA?) posted at one spot, she asked "are you flying to New York?", I replied yes, in bc, she directed me to a T3 bus stop, within 2 minutes a bus arrived, 9 minutes later I was in T3, via Fast Track I cleared security and was in T3 Flagship lounge by 2:45 pm.
The T5 to T3 bus had 6 pax (usually packed on T3 to T5). If I were only in Y shouldn't I still have access to the bus?
After clearing security I noted Delta had a special security area with lots of agents, AA has no presence in that area
[A year or two ago I connected T5 to T5, I had to take a train (within T5) and with huge amounts of walking, it took over 90 minutes to make my collection.]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.