Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stifle
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Link to LHR page on aa.com

Link to London-Heathrow web pages

Link to Wikipedia page on LHR

Link to FT - AA thread London Heathrow (LHR) <-> Gatwick (LGW) Transport / Transfer (master thread)

The vast majority of arriving passengers with a passport from the European Union, Switzerland or, effective 20 May 2019, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea or USA can now use arrival immigration eGates without any fee or pre-registration requirement. But for those transiting LHR with a non-UK/non-Ireland destination and no luggage to claim during transit at LHR, the eGates are generally irrelevant since most such passengers don’t enter the UK-Ireland Common Travel Area.

NOTE: Connecting flights between Terminal 5 and Terminal 3 - please allow a minimum 1 hour 30 minutes between flights.

If you are unsure which terminal your connecting flight departs from, see "Which terminal does my flight depart from / arrive?"

For gate to gate connection assistance in T-3, AA Five Star Service can be used (fee, must be in AA Business or First on incoming or outbound flight). For interterminal assistance, see https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...cierge-service for Heathrow Meet and Assist.

LHR is composed of four terminals (Terminal 1 is now permanently closed). American Airlines and many oneworld airlines (e.g. AY, BA, CX, IB, JL, QF, RJ, UL) use Terminal 3. MH and QR use terminal 4. BA uses Terminals 3 and 5. These terminals are not connected - you can not walk from one to the other. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.

Transferring/ Connections at LHR interterminal can be done three ways:

Link to interactive custom Heathrow Flight Connections Guide

1) Landside: exit your terminal and process HM immigration and customs as if you were arriving in the UK, then take the free train or busses connecting to other terminals. With most hotels, if you are staying overnight you will most likely utilise the "Heathrow Hoppa" busses costing £6 for one person or £11 for a family one way, £11 for one person and £21 for a family return; family is up to 2 adults and 3 children. A small discount is available for buying your ticket at a ticket machine in select hotels or via the HH website. You must proceed landside if planning to use the AA (or BA) Arrivals Lounge, which close at 1400 hrs / 2 PM as these are landside. (See post no. 627, here, for local land & hotel transport options.)

Inter-terminal landside connections can be via rail (free) or walking, depending on the terminals. See the diagram for Heathrow Express terminal connections, free when you are traveling within the airport's confines. See here You can also travel between the terminals, or Hatton Cross station, free of charge via the Piccadilly line, but you must touch a contactless payment card/Apple/Google Pay or Oyster card on the faregates at the start and end of your journey. When changing terminals via Heathrow Express or Elizabeth line you can either do the same or get a free paper ticket.

2) Airside:

Follow the signage to Flight Connections, where you will proceed a bus waiting area at airport ground level and take a bus to your next terminal, where you will proceed through boarding pass, carryon check a standard airport security check. Now you are ready to catch your next flight. Flight connections Minimum Connect Times are ordinarily 75 - 90 minutes (the latter for connections between T3 and T5).

NOTE: You must be at your connecting gate 20 minutes prior to departure. If you must recover bags and re-check (e.g. oneworld to non-oneworld or LCC) you must check your baggage in at least 45 minutes prior to departure.

Use this tool available from this page on LHR's website that include a step by step guide through Flight Connections. The page also offers videos. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.[/quote]

Typical Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 Flight Connections path:

T3–>T5 see posts 674, 675.1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

3. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here.

4. Ready to fly: Staff will check that you're in the right place, your hand baggage meets airline regulations, and you have time to catch your onward flight.

5. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

6. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

7. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.

NOTE: Flight departure gates are listed in only sufficient time to get to the gate, not hours (or often an hour) prior to departure.

Typical Terminal 5 to Terminal 3 Flight Connections path:1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

NOTE: As there is a new AA desk at the bus boarding point, you can get your AA boarding pass and pass the AA oral security questioning while you await the bus.

3. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

4. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

5. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here. But see 2A if flying AA.

6. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.

Lounges:
Airside lounges at LHR are designated departure lounges. You use the lounge in the terminal you're departing from – arriving and departing passengers are separated, so it's not possible (for example) to use a terminal 5 lounge if you are arriving in terminal 5 and departing from terminal 3.

Terminal 3 lounges include:

Airside, departure lounges:
American Airlines Flagship / First Class Lounge - Lounge Zone H
American Airlines Admirals Club - Lounge Zone H
British Airways Galleries First and Club lounges - Lounge Zone F
Cathay Pacific First and Business lounges near Gate 11
Qantas Airways London Lounge - Lounge B / Gate

Landside, for arriving AA and BA long haul passengers who flew in first or business class, or any class if oneworld Emerald (no guest)
American Airlines Arrivals Lounge (recently renovated)

Terminal 5 lounges:

Airside lounges:
British Airways Concorde Room (longhaul BA First)
British Airways Galleries First Lounge - South Concourse
British Airways Galleries Club lounges both North & South Concourses
British Airways Galleries Club lounge T5B Satellite

Landside, for arriving BA First/Club World passengers and oneworld emerald members in World Traveller or World Traveller Plus (no guest)
British Airways Galleries Arrivals Lounge

For hours, access, amenities, etc. consult the oneworld lounge access tool here

Link to the most useful London Heathrow International Airport website. Click on "Connections" for a connection assistance tool.

For long connections where you might wish to go to London, you can use "the tube" (Underground, ~50 minutes, cheapest), busses to various locations, taxis (the most expensive, about 45 minutes) or "minicabs" and other hired cars, the Heathrow Express (15 minutes to Paddington station) or Heathrow Connect (30 minutes to Paddington). You can also Uber or bus to nearby Windsor town, and with sufficient time even tour Windsor Castle.

For links to local and local hotels, other airports (such as Gatwick, ~1:30), railroad stations (Feltham, Watford, Woking and Reading), intercity coaches (such as Oxford) start at this page.

The Tube takes 50 minutes from the Central / Terminals 2/3, T-4 or T-5 stations using the Piccadilly Line. Link to LHR tube page; link to London Toolkit page on LHR and Piccadilly line; link to Transport for London page.

The Heathrow Express / HEX departs T-5 and takes 21 minutes (it stops at Central / T2/3, six minutes) and onward to Paddington (15 minutes, about 1/3 of the time a taxi would take, though a taxi or bus can tale longer in some traffic). The trains have 15 minute headway (depart every 15 minutes) and have baggage racks.

(If you stay at Hilton T-4, board HEX at T-5, go to Central / T-2/3, get off, take the connecting train to T-4 (4 minutes), all free. From T-4 follow the signs to the hotel, perhaps 10 minute walk by covered board walk).

The Elizabeth Line (formerly TfL Rail) costs less, takes 30 minutes to Paddington from the Heathrow stations, and continues to key central London destinations such as Tottenham Court Road and Liverpool Street.

This London Heathrow International Airport connection / transfer thread has been split off from the original thread, which can be read here: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow (obsolete, trailing thread).

For other terminals please see ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Also see this page for MCT information.

Print Wikipost

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
LAX to LHR on AA as a CK

I appreciate any help with this, flying with my wife as a concierge key from Los Angeles to London on American Airlines metal in October. Coach but hopefully SWU clear for us.

We have a separate BA ticket onward to Paris. Layover 4.5 hours ( there is one option for a two hour layover but I imagine we will not make the connection?).

what's our best strategy in using lounges, as a concierge key member? Seems several options. I suppose a question is, if I'm CK can I use admirals club lounge after arrival while waiting in BA flight on separate ticket? And which lounge makes sense for 4 hours?

thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JBauer
I appreciate any help with this, flying with my wife as a concierge key from Los Angeles to London on American Airlines metal in October. Coach but hopefully SWU clear for us.

We have a separate BA ticket onward to Paris. Layover 4.5 hours ( there is one option for a two hour layover but I imagine we will not make the connection?).

what's our best strategy in using lounges, as a concierge key member? Seems several options. I suppose a question is, if I'm CK can I use admirals club lounge after arrival while waiting in BA flight on separate ticket? And which lounge makes sense for 4 hours?

thanks.
I have a T3-T5 connection in Sept and will try to use the CX F lounge in T3 before heading over to T5 for my BA flight. Have to clear security twice but transfer security is usually quick. CX F lounge will be the best option.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Acid
I have a T3-T5 connection in Sept and will try to use the CX F lounge in T3 before heading over to T5 for my BA flight. Have to clear security twice but transfer security is usually quick. CX F lounge will be the best option.
As I understand it you cannot access T3 departures (where the CX lounge is) unless you are actually departing T3. If you are departing from T5 you only have the AA Arrivals lounge (landside) or the BA lounges in T5 as your choice.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
As I understand it you cannot access T3 departures (where the CX lounge is) unless you are actually departing T3. If you are departing from T5 you only have the AA Arrivals lounge (landside) or the BA lounges in T5 as your choice.
Check few posts above - I used to think the same but it seems this is possible. Im going to try it out myself next month
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA

thanks.
Will you have checked bags? If so, the issue will be you will have to clear immigration at T3, collect your bags, make your way over to T5 and recheck them. You will have arrivals lounge access at T3, but I don't know if guests are allowed into the Arrivals Lounge if your wife's SWU doesn't clear. No matter what, at T5, you would have access to the Galleries First Lounge (also the Galleries Club lounges).

If you don't have checked bags, you could try to stay in T3 as mentioned above until it's time to head over to T5. If you do that I would skip the Admiral's Club and head straight to the CX First Class Lounge (you'd also have access to the BA Galleries First Lounge but CX is miles ahead of both the AA and BA lounges).

No matter what, you need to make sure you clear security at T5 no later than 35 minutes before your scheduled departure or you will be offloaded from your flight to Paris.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:47 am

Thanks

Thanks for all of the valuable replies. Will I have access to CX lounge if my SWU doesn't go through and I'm economy but Concierge Key? I assume no.

And in T5 as a CK on an economy BA ticket will I be able to bring wife into lounge there?

thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:49 am

Thanks

Thanks for all of the valuable replies. Will I have access to CX lounge if my SWU doesn't go through and I'm economy but Concierge Key? I assume no.

And in T5 as a CK on an economy BA ticket will I be able to bring wife into lounge there?

thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Yes.

thanks.
Yes. You'll have access to Galleries First, plus one guest.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks.
Executive Platinums can access OneWorld first class lounges, with one guest, when flying on an international itinerary on any OneWorld carrier, regardless of class of service. I'm assuming CK gets at least the same lounge access privilege as EXP, but I don't know for sure. This would entitle you to the BA first class lounge in T5.

Maybe read your CK membership materials?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Executive Platinums can access OneWorld first class lounges, with one guest, when flying on an international itinerary on any OneWorld carrier, regardless of class of service. I'm assuming CK gets at least the same lounge access privilege as EXP, but I don't know for sure. This would entitle you to the BA first class lounge in T5.

Maybe read your CK membership materials?
Concierge Keys have Oneworld Emerald status. So yes, access to any oneworld F lounge with one guest.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: QF Gold, CX Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond
I've had a search and can't find an answer to this so hoping someone can help.

I'm arriving on a BA flight from EDI at 0930. I'm then departing to JFK on AA at 1700.

They are separate tickets so my bag won't be checked through (I'll try my luck in EDI but expecting it to be no) but will I be able to check in and drop a bag for the AA flight after arriving from EDI?

I'm expecting the AA counter to be open but curious if they'll accept bags that early. Thank you!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Acid
I have a T3-T5 connection in Sept and will try to use the CX F loundge in T3 before heading over to T5 for my BA flight. Have to clear security twice but transfer security is usually quick. CX F lounge will be the best option.
What is the meaning of "transfer security"? I have just the opposite transfer to make in two days.

And does one have to clear security twice if taking the connection bus? Have 2.5 hrs to connect. Was hopeful to spend a little time in CE F lounge as well.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
What is the meaning of "transfer security"? I have just the opposite transfer to make in two days.

And does one have to clear security twice if taking the connection bus? Have 2.5 hrs to connect. Was hopeful to spend a little time in CE F lounge as well.
If you are doing a T5->T3 transfer, you will have to clear security once - when you arrive at T3. If you need to go back to T5, you will clear security again at T5.

In my case, I arrive into T3 and leave from T5. In order to use T3 lounge which is airside - I need to clear security at T3 and again when I reach T5.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
@Acid;

Maybe I'm just confused about your intentions.

AA Arrival is landside at T3. CX F lounge is airside T3, forgive me , but what's your plan again.

As for me, I arrive T5, will make my way to T3 and go to CX F lounge for as long as possible. (Ergo, skipping any lounges Id have access to.) On my return, I will access AA Arrivals, time permitting, then make my way to BA F lounge in T5.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:08 am

@Zacnlinc
I fly JFK-LHR on AA this week and arrive at T3. My connection LHR-BOM is on BA from T5. I plan to use the CX F lounge in T3 before I go to T5 for my connection. I'll not be using AA Arrivals. Hence I need to clear security at T3 and T5

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.