Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA 24 Hour Cancellation Policy: Offer 24 Hour Hold (obsolete)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA.com 24 Hour Cancellation Policy is 24 Hour Hold, DOT OK / 26 Jan 2012
AA has cancelled this policy effective 1 April 2016

See HOLD ticket WILL change 1 Apr 2016 - 24 hr hold or / & cancel for current thread.

PREVIOUS POLICY:

AA offers 24 hour "Hold" without payment for new bookings in lieu of 24 hour cancellation; this does meet the USDOT requirements. The hold option is offered when one arrives on the booking payment page next to credit card, etc. options.

● Bookings made within seven days of flight are not required to offer 24 hour cancellation or holds; AA.com does not offer cancellation options in those cases, nor does it do so on partner airline flights. (Still in force.)

When you make a reservation by telephone or via aa.com for American Airlines flights (including American Airlines flights operated by codeshare partners), the reservation can be held and the fare quoted will be guaranteed for 24 hours or until 11:59 p.m. (time zone will be specified) the following day, whichever allows you more time to purchase your ticket. Once payment is received, normal refund policies apply to the ticket. If you elect to make changes to the itinerary, the ticket price may change.

See:

http://www.dot.gov/airconsumer/notic...ur-reservation

http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.dev/fil...al20130530.pdf

(Award flights on AA can still be held for five days.)

Also see: Extended Hold: Pay to hold reservation longer than 24 hours (consolidated)[/FONT][/COLOR]

AA's Customer Commitment states: "When you make a telephone reservation with American Airlines or when you make a reservation via AA.com, the reservation can be held and the fare quoted will be guaranteed for 24 hours or until 11:59 p.m. Central Time the following day, whichever allows you more time to purchase your ticket. If you elect to make changes to the itinerary within this timeframe, the ticket price may change and once payment is received, normal refund policies apply to the ticket."

Note this foot note on AA.com. * Actual "Hold" period depends on fare rules. Some fares require purchase by a specific time.

In some cases, the 24 hour hold may actually expire in less than 24 hours if ticketing conditions (e.g. advance purchase requirements) supersede the 24 hour period. Nonetheless, as brp states below: "Web Services (800-222-2377) within the 24 hours and they will reinstate the original fare."

24 hour hold is not available for codeshares and partner airlines marketed flights when combined with AA travel, nor to those using discount codes. Nonetheless, under DOT regulations, the airline must allow 24 hour cancellation without fees.

[FONT="Arial"]
Refunds Within 24 Hours of Booking Within 7 Days of Flight No Longer Offered

The 24-hour reservation requirement is mandated by the Department of Transportation’s consumer rule “Enhancing Airline Passenger Protections” (14 CFR 259.5(b)(4), 76 Fed. Reg. 23110, 23166, Apr. 25, 2011) and applies to all reservations made seven days or more prior to the flight’s scheduled departure time.
A 24 hour cancellation policy is called for by USDOT regulations. American Airlines currently meets the requirement by offering 24 hour hold.

If one is booking for travel within seven days, there is no "hold" option given during the booking process. Though one may have previously gotten refunded within 24 hours of booking fewer than seven days out by AA, it is not required by USDOT and AA is now denying refunds in these instances as of 12 June 2015. The change was not announced to AA flyers or AAdvantage members.

Per JonNYC below:
Originally Posted by Previous policy
AA offers a full refund without penalty within 24 hours of ticketing that occurs 7 or less days before departure.
This no longer is AA policy; refunds are not allowed within 24 hours of purchase within the 7 day time frame.

Updated 10 Feb 2016
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA 24 Hour Cancellation Policy: Offer 24 Hour Hold (obsolete)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2012, 4:21 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mikelat
the 24 hours has no impact here. If the award was booked with EXP account miles then there is no fee. Otherwise it is $150 for 1st person +$25 for each additional person/ticket to re-deposit the miles.

The only way to avoid this is to just put the award on hold (up to 5 days hold for Awards), as opposed to booking it. Once you book you're locked in to the fees per status of the account from which miles were withdrawn (With only EXP being exempt from re-deposit fees).
At http://www.dot.gov/affairs/2012/dot0812.html, effective 01/23/12, among other things:
Also beginning this week, passengers will be able to hold a reservation without payment, or cancel a booking without penalty, for 24 hours after the reservation is made, if they make the reservation one week or more prior to a flight’s departure date.
Whether the pax were EXP or not, wouldn't this rule apply to them (I bolded "booking")?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:39 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nrr
At http://www.dot.gov/affairs/2012/dot0812.html, effective 01/23/12, among other things:
Also beginning this week, passengers will be able to hold a reservation without payment, or cancel a booking without penalty, for 24 hours after the reservation is made, if they make the reservation one week or more prior to a flight’s departure date.
Whether the pax were EXP or not, wouldn't this rule apply to them (I bolded "booking")?
I know that partner paid reservations can't be held. I can't recall if partner awards can be held. If so, then the or above means that they do not have to provide refunds within 24 hours. If they can't be held, it would sure seem like this was a booking, and this would apply.

Cheers.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
I would think you are going to be charged but not for cancelling a booking but rather a "re-depositing miles" fee which is distinct from a booking fee as it was not charged as part of the booking process.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
One time I needed to cancel a non AA itinerary book on AA.com. It was an incredible fight because AA refused to refund it. It took over 2 hours before AA would give my money back.

Last edited by Xero; Jun 19, 2012 at 1:56 pm
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:53 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
some one on the exp phone # has the answer.....

you need to cancel rather than resked?

Last edited by clacko; Jun 14, 2012 at 12:09 pm
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:03 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i just copied this from aa.com....perhaps it applies to your ? i saw nada re 24 hrs....

hopefully the aa cc y'all will use for the fee has a current bonus mi promo....

Reinstating Award Tickets
(Waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account)

You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for an unused AAdvantage flight award if your ticket has not expired. Partially used awards cannot be reinstated.

When requesting a reinstatement, a $150 USD processing charge will be assessed per account for the first award ticket. Any additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 USD per ticket add-on charge.

Last edited by clacko; Jun 14, 2012 at 12:08 pm
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by brp
I know that partner paid reservations can't be held. I can't recall if partner awards can be held.
Right now I am on an Explorer award using CX and RJ (actually writing from HKG airport). I was able to hold this award for 5 days before purchasing.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aktchi
Right now I am on an Explorer award using CX and RJ (actually writing from HKG airport). I was able to hold this award for 5 days before purchasing.
key differnce is that the post you were responding to noted:

partner paid reservations
where as you're talking about an Award.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
doesn't the hold/cancel withn 24 hours mean Either / OR.

Eg carrier can give option to hold , but not cancel after purchasing, or carrier can give option to cancel after purchasing but not hld, or both.

I think AA gives option to hold but not cancel within 24 hours, though web services will usually let you cancel with in 30 minutes if you report having clicked the wrong button and accidentally purchased somethingl
Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: UA MM Gold
Lots of interesting speculation, but why not just call and ask?
If they say, yes, case closed.
If not, perhaps call again....
Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Originally Posted by nrr
The key word here is "or." The airlines were forced to offer one of two options: 1) allow 24 hour holds with no payment OR 2) allow a 24 hour refund period. AA has simply chosen the former. They are not required to do both.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:37 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16
The key word here is "or." The airlines were forced to offer one of two options: 1) allow 24 hour holds with no payment OR 2) allow a 24 hour refund period. AA has simply chosen the former. They are not required to do both.
Actually, AA were already offering the 24 hour hold in most cases, so they didn't have to change anything there. From reports here, though, this has led to some challenges in getting refunds in the cases where holds were not (and still are not) offered.

Cheers.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
aa.com 24 Hour Hold Not Available Sometimes? (consolidated)

Apologies if this has already been discussed but I couldn't find a thread. Have any of you had issues with the free 24 hold on itineraries not being an option when you go to pay? I've used this option a few times in the last few months but 2 or 3 times now that I've gone to reserve seats it hasn't appeared. These are simple itineraries (LGA-DTW, JFK-LAX, etc.) and I don't understand why the hold isn't showing up.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Morning Calm, Marriott Plat., Hyatt Globalist
You probably know this but just in case,

If you are applying discount codes, they make 24 hr hold unavailable.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 8:40 pm

It's been like this for a while now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.