FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: AA 24 Hour Cancellation Policy: Offer 24 Hour Hold (obsolete) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1307046-archive-aa-24-hour-cancellation-policy-offer-24-hour-hold-obsolete.html)

Xero Jan 26, 2012 9:40 am

ARCHIVE: AA 24 Hour Cancellation Policy: Offer 24 Hour Hold (obsolete)

The new DOT rules take effect today. One of the policies is that the airline must allow either a 24 hour hold or cancellation for refund provided the reservation was made at least one week in advance.

For itineraries that involve non-AA coded flights booked from AA.com, I would assume that starting today, the 24 hour cancellation policy should apply.

However, I called the EXP desk and they have no clue about it.

Any ideas? Thank you.

miamigrad Jan 26, 2012 9:47 am

I wonder if the airline just has to provde either/or. If that's the case, AA is partially compliant since a traveler is able to 'HOLD' an itinerary that includes non-AA carriers when on AA codeshare - at least for an AA coded oneworld flight I recently held. As well, I'm curious if the new regulation only applies to the airline's own flights. Does anyone know? And, does the regulation extend to -any- airline that operates in the U.S., or just U.S.-based airlines?

vasantn Jan 26, 2012 9:49 am

Originally Posted by miamigrad (Post 17891331)
I wonder if the airline just has to provde either/or. If that's the case, AA is already in compliance since a traveler is able to 'HOLD' an itinerary that includes non-AA carriers.

I've never been able to hold an itinerary with non-AA carriers, even with AA flight nos.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Jan 26, 2012 9:52 am

I wonder if the airline just has to provde either/or. If that's the case, AA is already in compliance since a traveler is able to 'HOLD' an itinerary that includes non-AA carriers.

Not fully compliant yet, without multi-airline itineraries.

Xero Jan 26, 2012 9:53 am

You can hold any codeshare flights. But not if the flight is marketed by another airline.

Also, AA's front page now says "Due to technical problems, the initial prices shown on AA.com do not include taxes and fees. Taxes and fees will be added prior to payment." Looks like AA did not do a good job preparing for this day.

miamigrad Jan 26, 2012 9:55 am

Originally Posted by vasantn (Post 17891351)
I've never been able to hold an itinerary with non-AA carriers, even with AA flight nos.

I just tested this a few minutes ago on a CX operated flight ORD-HKG.
For AA coded flights, I was allowed to hold.
For CX coded flights, immediate purchase was required.

3Cforme Jan 26, 2012 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Xero (Post 17891285)
Any ideas? Thank you.

Try booking an itinerary with non-AA segments? The hold button is there - and a conf code given - for a dummy booking with AA, CX and JAL flights.

miamigrad Jan 26, 2012 9:57 am

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin (Post 17891374)
Not fully compliant yet, without multi-airline itineraries.

Originally Posted by Xero (Post 17891379)
You can hold any codeshare flights. But not if the flight is marketed by another airline.

Also, AA's front page now says "Due to technical problems, the initial prices shown on AA.com do not include taxes and fees. Taxes and fees will be added prior to payment." Looks like AA did not do a good job preparing for this day.

I amended my original post. Only when on AA codeshare.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Jan 26, 2012 9:58 am

I wonder how many people who don't know about the DOT rules will freak out when they see prices are higher now that taxes have to be reported.

TheBOSman Jan 26, 2012 10:01 am

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin (Post 17891417)
I wonder how many people who don't know about the DOT rules will freak out when they see prices are higher now that taxes have to be reported.

I'm still seeing $41 outbound fares to LHR, but that's due to the other issue, which they STILL haven't fixed. Ugh AA.com needs a lot of work. Anyone know a team of skilled IT engineers to send to DFW to help AA out? :D

vasantn Jan 26, 2012 10:04 am

Originally Posted by miamigrad (Post 17891409)
I amended my original post. Only when on AA codeshare.

Perhaps only with OW carriers? I've never been able to hold an itinerary that has a G3 (GOL)-operated component with an AA flight no.

brp Jan 26, 2012 10:08 am

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin (Post 17891417)

I got an email from WN this morning explaining, in great detail, how the fares I see up front would now be different, but the actual total fare paid would be the same. Also, points would still be awarded on Fare + Excise Tax, as before, and not on the full fare I see.

They did a very good job of making it clear that nothing other than the originally-displayed fare would change.

AA? Just the sound of one hand clapping...

Cheers.

mingw Jan 26, 2012 10:10 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman (Post 17891429)
I'm still seeing $41 outbound fares to LHR, but that's due to the other issue, which they STILL haven't fixed. Ugh AA.com needs a lot of work. Anyone know a team of skilled IT engineers to send to DFW to help AA out? :D

no, those punch-card programmers refuse to retire or leave their position. and they think they are way more experienced than your skilled young engineers.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Jan 26, 2012 10:11 am

Originally Posted by brp (Post 17891475)
I got an email from WN this morning explaining, in great detail, how the fares I see up front would now be different, but the actual total fare paid would be the same. Also, points would still be awarded on Fare + Excise Tax, as before, and not on the full fare I see.

They did a very good job of making it clear that nothing other than the originally-displayed fare would change.

AA? Just the sound of one hand clapping...

Cheers.

But you actually read your emails. :D

I'm thinking of people who don't usually fly.

869 Jan 26, 2012 12:53 pm

Ha! AA.com has a not right now stating: "Due to technical problems, the initial prices shown on AA.com do not include taxes and fees. Taxes and fees will be added prior to payment."