FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: FAQ: Late Arrival Standby ("Flat Tire Rule") application (master thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1288319-archive-faq-late-arrival-standby-flat-tire-rule-application-master-thread.html)

tylerdurden4543 Jun 19, 2013 7:19 am

Now you've had a flat tire on the way to the airport, too? Wow, you really do have the most interesting flying experiences on this board...

JDiver Jun 19, 2013 7:30 am

Personally, I would rather have a neighbor or family member I trust fetch the passport and bring it to the airport than hope there are seats on slights soon thereafter (and if there are, they are not likely to be good ones, or even close together).

Relying on a trusted person is guaranteed to bring greater travel success than hoping an agent will understand and satisfactory ensuing travel arrangements will be found.

(As this has been asked previously, your question has been merged into a recent thread. Advanced search for <flat+tire> in thread titles, return threads, and it will come up - "FTR" won't, as it's not a commonly used abbreviation in the AA Forum.)

Originally Posted by tonytifao (Post 20949040)
Does anyone have any experience with the Flat Tire Rule for EXPs? This would be the last flight out to MIA in order to catch a connection to South America.

I had a last minute trip, which I arrive MCO on DL 2 hours prior to my departure on AA. The issue this was an unplanned trip and I didn't realize our passport for out son is at home, which is 1 hour away from the airport.

Trying to avoid 3 last min ticket costs.

Please share your experiences.

tonytifao Jun 19, 2013 10:21 am

Unfortunately no one has the keys. My brothers are all in South America already. Hopefully the airport can allow me to fly the next day with no charge

JDiver Jun 19, 2013 10:25 am

While I have had a number of experiences over the years (fling AA 50++ years) where AA agents have been very helpful, I have also had an occasional time when they haven't been or have been recalcitrant. In this instance, add possibilities of reduced capacity meaning full aircraft, etc. So, you manage your risks.

My way would be to try to reschedule my other activities, take an earlier flight, go home and get the missing passport, then follow my original plans.

Otherwise, you are basically at the mercy of whoever you deal with - phone or airport - and you may get out on the "next available flight". Good luck either way. Relying on the "Flat Tire Rule" may definitely affect your mileage... ;)

Originally Posted by tonytifao (Post 20951554)
Unfortunately no one has the keys. My brothers are all in South America already. Hopefully the airport can allow me to fly the next day with no charge

swag Jun 19, 2013 11:51 am

It's well known on this board that the standby list is ordered (1) irrops; (2) elites on voluntary standby; (3) nonrevs.

Well, I was recently doing a voluntary standby (trying to get home earlier). The standby list for the flight was posted on the screen at the gate, and I was #1. But the prior departure to the same destination was still at the same gate (having returned due to a weather ground hold). The door had re-closed for the earlier flight's re-departure, and I watched as a couple of pax on that flight returned to the gate too late. They were put on the standby list for the next flight, and yet I did not lose my #1 spot.

The observation being - late arriving pax who miss their flight not due to an earlier delay or cancellation are not classified as irrops, and will find themselves at the bottom of the standby list.

The practical advice for anyone considering an intentional flat tire would be to check the loads of the later flights. And if your ticket is standby-eligible (i.e. domestic, and you're elite), you're better off calling AA and requesting standby on a later flight, rather than just showing up late and requesting flat tire accommodation.

tonytifao Jun 19, 2013 1:16 pm

Thanks for the advice.

Again, this is the last flight out. I think the things I have going for me are:
1) EXP
2) I know the personel at the airport
3) Flying C

brp Jun 19, 2013 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by tonytifao (Post 20952751)
3) Flying C

If you're in C you'll also need to make sure that there's upgrade space on the flight you change to.

Cheers.

CloudCoder Jun 19, 2013 2:07 pm

IM(limited)E you'll probably want to avoid telling AA that you missed the flight because you forgot a passport. This happened to me one time and it certainly seems like AA used the opportunity to try to gouge me with all kinds of exorbitant fees. I was actually late by just about half an hour. My protests were met with "but YOU admitted that it's YOUR fault". Finally I got through to someone who "allowed" me to rebook as if it were a simply flat tire or a delay.

"Flat tire", "unavoidable delay", "Have you Ever Had One Of Those Days?", etc are all fine excuses. "I goofed up so please be gentle" is a license to steal, IME.

deadlee Jun 19, 2013 4:53 pm

Passport stuck in consulate; Can't travel

I had sent my passport to the Indian consulate two weeks ago for a visa for my trip later next month, but still dont' have it back.

And I am scheduled to travel to Cabo later this evening, but now won't be able to catch my flight.

I contacted the outsourcing company that handles ALL Visa processing, and they can't really seem to do anything to expedite it..

Hopefully I get it tomorrow, and can change my flight to tomorrow.. but that's assuming it gets here tomorrow.

Anyone been through something similar? I feel stranded even though I'm home :)

Pretty pricey ticket too... guess I'll have to cancel it worst case.. Are there any special exceptions for "Missing Docs" that might waive my change/cancellation fees in case I can reschudle for later this week..

brp Jun 19, 2013 4:58 pm

You can certainly try calling. But, since this would be considered your fault from the airline standpoint, I wouldn't be too optimistic. But it won't hurt to try. Good luck!

Cheers.

AA_EXP09 Jun 19, 2013 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by deadlee (Post 20954127)
I had sent my passport to the Indian consulate two weeks ago for a visa for my trip later next month, but still dont' have it back.

And I am scheduled to travel to Cabo later this evening, but now won't be able to catch my flight.

I contacted the outsourcing company that handles ALL Visa processing, and they can't really seem to do anything to expedite it..

Hopefully I get it tomorrow, and can change my flight to tomorrow.. but that's assuming it gets here tomorrow.

Anyone been through something similar? I feel stranded even though I'm home :)

Pretty pricey ticket too... guess I'll have to cancel it worst case.. Are there any special exceptions for "Missing Docs" that might waive my change/cancellation fees in case I can reschudle for later this week..

How long did you know about the India trip for?
If it was last minute I would have asked my employer to pay for the rush service if it was available.
(I get mine in HK from Quoprro which has always done a good job, in my Canadian passport. They usually have a turnaround time of 10 working days.)

deadlee Jun 19, 2013 5:12 pm

As soon as I found out about the trip, I sent in the passport, didn't expect it to take so long... doesn't help that there isn't a LA consulate either.
No expediting/rush service options on the India visa, i enquired.

I posted on the Aadvantage forums, because as an EXP flying on AA, I wanted to know what my ticket options were...

Dr. HFH Jun 19, 2013 5:23 pm

I use CIBT for all of my visa processing. They've never failed me. They have a rush service which can take only a day or two. Used that, too, and never a problem. I think that it's something like $75 plus more for rush.

bucketlist Jun 19, 2013 5:29 pm

You should be able to make it thru TSA, don't know about getting onto plane and into Cabo.

Would bring cc of passport (if available).

From my trips to Mex. (making a Tijuana booze run by walking across the border then walking back) there was no checking of documents to enter Mexico - there likely will be checking to enter Mexico by air).

TSA should let you by, and allow your return to US, but you may not be allowed on the plane w/out a US passport.

TSA link: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/acceptable-ids

You might just go to the airport and see if you can get on - try not to check bags. Also improves chances of getting reticketed on a later flight if you present yourself at the airport v. saying you lost something and couldn't make it to the airport.

Hope something works

beerup Jun 19, 2013 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by bucketlist (Post 20954293)
You should be able to make it thru TSA, don't know about getting onto plane and into Cabo.

Would bring cc of passport (if available).

From my trips to Mex. (making a Tijuana booze run by walking across the border then walking back) there was no checking of documents to enter Mexico - there likely will be checking to enter Mexico by air).

TSA should let you by, and allow your return to US, but you may not be allowed on the plane w/out a US passport.

You can't travel by air between Mexico and USA without a passport.

TSA is not the agency that admits people into the USA, it's CBP.