FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: FAQ: Late Arrival Standby ("Flat Tire Rule") application (master thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1288319-archive-faq-late-arrival-standby-flat-tire-rule-application-master-thread.html)

alhcfp Dec 20, 2011 10:25 am

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 17661660)
So instead you are asking them to cover the cost of a walkup fare because you wanted to get home the same day???

NO

mikeef Dec 20, 2011 10:43 am

Originally Posted by alhcfp (Post 17661646)
The biggest problem we have with arguing with AA is getting a response that matches the issue that we complain about.

We know that many people that work in AA CS can't read very well.

As an Exec Plat, I wouldn't even waste time writing an email. Just call and get CS on the line.

Mike

Science Goy Dec 20, 2011 10:43 am

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 17661660)
So instead you are asking them to cover the cost of a walkup fare because you wanted to get home the same day???

AA isn't "covering the cost" of a walkup fare in this situation any more than when they let you standby. Though maybe that's some creative accounting they should consider ("gave pax free standby seat on earlier flight out of JFK; $3000 loss.")

gemac Dec 20, 2011 10:46 am

Originally Posted by alhcfp (Post 17661646)
The biggest problem we have with arguing with AA is getting a response that matches the issue that we complain about.

The biggest problem we have is getting a response from you that matches the issue that we raised - that we can't really help you without more details. :D

alhcfp Dec 20, 2011 11:02 am

Originally Posted by gemac (Post 17661815)
The biggest problem we have is getting a response from you that matches the issue that we raised - that we can't really help you without more details. :D

This board has already given me the answer to my question in the 1st few responses. I thank everyone for those.

At this time I will not spill more details, but of course, everyone is free to speculate.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Ambraciot Dec 20, 2011 11:06 am

Is the "flat tire rule" just a weakened conditional form of same day standby given to non-elites? Wouldn't an EXP usually be better off just asking to standby on the flights they wanted/needed?

Also, has anyone missed a flight, done standby on the next one and been able to keep a connecting flight, even if the later standby flight arrives after MCT?

I'm just considering what would happen if I overslept and missed one of my 6 am flights. The flight at 6:55 is scheduled to arrive at ORD 25 minutes before my connecting flight, which is possible mainline to mainline, but not MCT.

gemac Dec 20, 2011 11:12 am

Originally Posted by brp (Post 17661488)
With the details, it may be possible to provide better arguments for the OP to use. I find that a well-constructed stance can often help one to get the desired resolution, even after the fact. In any event, couldn't hurt.

Cheers.

Originally Posted by alhcfp (Post 17661503)
OK BRP, I will spill, but have one more Flat Tire question....

Originally Posted by alhcfp (Post 17661919)
At this time I will not spill more details, but of course, everyone is free to speculate.

And you are free to make your best argument without the benefit of the collective wisdom of the FT AA forum. It seems you have three choices here:
1. Put it behind you and get on with life.
2. Get the help of others to make the best possible argument.
3. Rely on your own wisdom to make the best argument you can without any help from others.

In my opinion, I have listed these in the order of desirability. It seems you are choosing #3. Good luck.

wrp96 Dec 20, 2011 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by dmsdfw (Post 17661627)
Also, someone in that same thread raised the issue of whether the rule is the same if you miss the first flight of your itinerary as opposed to, say, the return leg. I don't think that was ever answered. Everyone always states that missing a segment cancels all the remaining ones, but presumably that cannot happen immediately otherwise the flat-tire rule wouldn't work.

Speaking from experience, when you miss a flight, it does immediately cancel all remaining segments as my entire ticket was canceled when I woke up 2.5 hours after my flight was supposed to depart. They can still see the ticket in their system though (showing the cancelled segments) and that's why the flat tire rule works. In my case, I missed the first flight of a round trip journey. They had to do some finagling to get me to my destination that day. And when I checked in for my return, there were still issues with the ticket due how it was reinstated (fixed easily by the agent thank goodness). But I didn't have to pay anything except for a flight on WN to get to the connecting airport because flights out of my local airport were overbooked for 3 days.

RChavez Dec 20, 2011 1:47 pm

In my experience, the FTR is only generally available in cases where standby is available as well as an option.

I have missed a few international flights, and in every case, I've had to pay at minimum a change fee to get on the next flight. If the flights were more full, I would have expected to pay a change fee plus prevailing fare for the new inventory.

I am wondering whether this is the situation the OP found him/herself in.

But the wisdom I have gained over the years is if flying internationally, make sure you make your flight. :)

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Dec 20, 2011 2:26 pm

I'm confused. Ok normally posters will outline an incident of what happened, AA's response, and ask opinions of FT and/or was proper policy followed by AA personnel. If you want opinion, it might not always be to your liking.

But without a detailed account of what happened I'm at a loss as to what is really being asked. Does AA have a flat tire rule, yes, was it applied fairly and to proper policy, who knows in this case.

kbs972 Dec 20, 2011 3:47 pm

I have missed a 6am flight from STL-MIA because i slept through it, got to the airport at 7 and they put me on the next flight to DFW, and finally caught a standby flight to MIA. Wasn't the biggest deal ever and the ticket agent didn't have a problem rebooking and apologized to me for missing my flight. Couldn't have asked for any better.

Robt760 Dec 20, 2011 5:37 pm

Part of the 'experience' of engaging on Flyer Talk is to learn from others through their travel experiences.

Sadly, some folks choose not to share so that others may learn.

mikelat Dec 22, 2011 10:54 pm

Wow, that makes it really easy for us to help. And, even worse, makes it really hard for others to learn from your experience. Why don't you post what all transpired as as you results so that others can have a good idea of what to expect if they're in a similar situation? Seems a bit odd to leech from the collective wisdom here and not contribute any.

gemac Dec 23, 2011 8:36 am

Originally Posted by mikelat (Post 17679037)
Wow, that makes it really easy for us to help. And, even worse, makes it really hard for others to learn from your experience. Why don't you post what all transpired as as you results so that others can have a good idea of what to expect if they're in a similar situation? Seems a bit odd to leech from the collective wisdom here and not contribute any.

This board has already given me the answer to my question in the 1st few responses. I thank everyone for those.

Again, thanks for the replies.

It appears OP has gotten the help he wants. His situation may not be instructive to others. His details are, after all, his, and if he wants to keep them private, that is his perogative. OP has contributed to the collective wisdom here in other threads.

tonytifao Jun 18, 2013 11:48 pm

Flat Tire Rule for EXP

Does anyone have any experience with the Flat Tire Rule for EXPs? This would be the last flight out to MIA in order to catch a connection to South America.

I had a last minute trip, which I arrive MCO on DL 2 hours prior to my departure on AA. The issue this was an unplanned trip and I didn't realize our passport for out son is at home, which is 1 hour away from the airport.

Trying to avoid 3 last min ticket costs.

Please share your experiences.