Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
="4"%Revised AAdvantage Million Miler Program Launched 01 Dec 2011 (master thread)

13 Apr 2020: AA announces AAdvantage card spend during 1 May - 31 Dec 2020 counts toward Million Miler status. Link

● May 1, 1981: American introduces AAdvantage®, the first airline loyalty program

● The initial Million Miler balance on 30 Nov 2011 included every AAdvantage mile ever earned in the program; after, only flown (actually base) miles shown below count.

● As of 1 Dec 1, 2011 "Miles earned toward Million Miler status are based on the distance of your flight for travel on American marketed flights or the base miles earned for travel on eligible partner marketed flights.[/hl]." - link

Minimum miles guarantee does not apply to MM program; only actual Base Miles will be counted. Miles flown on airlines only earning Redeemable Miles (not Elite Qualifying) won't count. (N.B. Neither BarclayCard Aviator AAdvantage Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World Elite™ MasterCard® credit card miles count for MM status, not even the EQM earned by those making the required spend in one calendar year.)

There have been no changes made to the Million Miler program since 2011 to date, nor any changes announced. Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum will not be added to the program, according to AA spokespersons. (30 Nov 2011).

Q. What does lifetime AAdvantage Platinum and lifetime AAdvantage Gold status mean for me?

A. For the life of the AAdvantage Platinum and Gold programs, you will continue to enjoy the rewards and recognition of that elite level regardless of your annual elite-qualifying activity.

Q. Which miles will count for the AAdvantage Million Miler program?

A. "Miles earned toward Million Miler status are based on the distance of your flight for travel on American marketed flights or the base miles earned for travel on eligible partner marketed flights.” (Literally, “butt in seat” miles flown on qualifying revenue flight.)

Q. How can I track my progress toward reaching AAdvantage Million Miler status?

A. AAdvantage Million Miler activity is displayed in the members' AAdvantage account on aa.com separately from award miles so progress toward reaching this special designation can be easily tracked.
● At 1,000,000 Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members receive lifetime Advantage Gold® status and 35,000 AAdvantage bonus miles

● At 2,000,000) Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members receive lifetime AAdvantage Platinum® status and 4 SWUs / Systemwide Upgrades

● At each additional Million Miler mark, AAdvantage members will receive 4 additional SWUs. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Link to aa.com page .

Q. Will AA add Platinum Pro or Executive Platinum to lifetime status levels?

AA spokespeople announced in late 2016 neither status tier is under consideration for lifetime status.

The other active and archived threads discussing the American Airlines AAdvantage Million Miler Program are:

Wiki: Made Lifetime Gold / Platinum with NEW Million Miler Program! (>1 Dec 2011)

ARCHIVE: Made Lifetime Gold / Platinum! million miles - brag etc. (ended 30 Nov 2011)

Million Miles / Million Miler Program ARCHIVE

Older posts have been archived here.

Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Here the mountain is still high, but it is actually somewhat doable.
That mountain analogy isn't probably the right fit given the number of "enhancements" to AA's frequent flyer program over the past few years which would make it more of a growing volcano or just a moving target.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:13 pm

Your argument only makes sense for why it wouldn't count towards EQD spend. And many times a 'buy one get one' deal is actually receipted as two purchases at half off vs. as one purchase.
Also, hotel programs typically credit a free night towards whatever 'night count' they have. I think it makes perfect sense to credit someone's trip towards MM status if the purpose of the MM program is to recognize people that travelled a MMs with the airline. (which yes is a joke, since I would wager the vast majority of MM and 2MM holders have flown quite a bit less than 1 million actual miles because of accruals under the old system)

Yes, but that isn't the point. I am only making the point that this "of course" talk is nonsense. Like you say, the whole program doesn't make sense. 1 M BIS miles is a lot of miles

I think if AA wants a program they should make it fair. Right now, the program only counts BIS miles not associated with award travel but has its rolls probably quite overweighted with people that qualified mostly on non-BIS miles.
And it's not fair that once upon a time you could churn us mint dollars WITH FREE SHIPPING and earn miles. Sorry man timing is everything and sometimes it's just the wrong time for those newer to the game

​​​​​​ I think it is ridiculous to only give a lifetime gold status for someone that truly puts a milllion BIS miles on the airline (that is 200 round trip trans con flights; >400 roundtrip flights for us in the midcon or who travel more regionally)

And yes, They should just match the program to their program in a more direct way, but it is hard for me to see how it can be 'more restrictive' considering someone that earns gold with 25,000 miles a year would need to earn that status for 40 years before AA would grant them that lifetime status. Someone could be Exec plat for more than 10 years before being given lifetime gold (these calculations are hand wavy, because it is easier to get 100K EQM than 100,000 miles due to ticket multipliers). The system is a joke in terms of encouraging anyone to stick with AA over the long haul. The mountain is tall and the reward is poor.

Something like this would work:

2M EQM + 200K EQD lifetime ExP (would take a minimal ExecPlat 17-20 years at that level to earn)
1.5M EQM + 150K EQD lifetime PlatPro (would take a minimal PlatPro17-20 years at that level to earn)
1M EQM + 100K EQD Lifetime Plat (would take a minimal Plat 17-20 years at that level to earn)
500,000 EQM + 50K EQD Lifetime Gold (would take a minimal Gold 17-20 years at that level to earn)

Here the mountain is still high, but it is actually somewhat doable.
The current lifetime golds and plats can keep their lifetime status, but at least new members who stick with AA for 17 years at a certain level can keep that status.
Lifetime executive Plat is never happening.
maybe someday they might consider doing lifetime Platinum Pro

Last edited by LovePrunes; Oct 9, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
maybe someday they might consider doing lifetime Platinum Pro
Ha! When Parker applies D0 to his own role at American, maybe.

But really no, AA learned its lesson a few decades ago when it sold those infamous passes that lifetime of anything valuable that isn't limited in a meaningful way isn't going to fly in the long run. Benefits that outlive the value of customers aren't probably going to make big appearances anytime soon at American or any US airline for that matter.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage EP 2.1MM; Bonvoy LT-Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond
Holy moly. Boy am i wrong, thinking that i asked a straightforward question.

Yes, as someone correctly noted, im 1.8MM into MM program, over the course of 30yrs. So Im completely aware award miles isnt the same as rev BSM. Just wasnt sure if the former contributed to MM count. Thats all...

For context, question was asked so that i can decide whether i should blow 700k AA miles towards my reaching 2MM. Or if i should continue paying for my own tickets and continue using points on my wife. Tho sounds like not using award flights for self is the faster way for me to reach 2MM.

Silly me never looked at my mileage count whenever i used award flts in the past.

Agree that MM program is a huge mountain for crappy benefits. But with 200k to go, i might as well go for it. OW lounge access and priority security/ luggage whenever travelling on economy are good enough benefits. Esp for not having to chase platinum annually once i hit 40yrs old...
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bl393
Holy moly. Boy am i wrong, thinking that i asked a straightforward question.

Yes, as someone correctly noted, im 1.8MM into MM program, over the course of 30yrs. So Im completely aware award miles isnt the same as rev BSM. Just wasnt sure if the former contributed to MM count. Thats all...

For context, question was asked so that i can decide whether i should blow 700k AA miles towards my reaching 2MM. Or if i should continue paying for my own tickets and continue using points on my wife. Tho sounds like not using award flights for self is the faster way for me to reach 2MM.

Silly me never looked at my mileage count whenever i used award flts in the past.

Agree that MM program is a huge mountain for crappy benefits. But with 200k to go, i might as well go for it. OW lounge access and priority security/ luggage whenever travelling on economy are good enough benefits. Esp for not having to chase platinum annually once i hit 40yrs old...
only to be young again, I am almost at 3 million and hope to hit that before I turn 60.. (better hurry and keep flying)
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:19 pm

Interesting question looking at the route I take a lot. How are the MM miles calculated? I fly AUS-DFW 30-40 times a year, and looking at the report, I get 183 miles for this segment every time, regardless of ticket price.

Here's the rub, the two airports are more than 183 miles apart, specifically, end of nearest runway to end of nearest runway between the two is 187 miles. Interestingly, the old Mueller airport IS 183 miles away. Did AA switch airports, and fail to update the flight distances? Yes I got bored and measured the distance both in google maps and great circle mapper, both generating 187 and 190 miles. I also realize 4 miles is nothing for me, but 10 non-stops a day, 150 a plane, 4 miles short, is 6k miles one way a day they are shaving off the earning.

Last edited by autdi; Oct 23, 2018 at 10:31 pm
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by autdi

Yes I got bored
Yes indeed
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Interesting question looking at the route I take a lot. How are the MM miles calculated? I fly AUS-DFW 30-40 times a year, and looking at the report, I get 183 miles for this segment every time, regardless of ticket price.

Here's the rub, the two airports are more than 183 miles apart, specifically, end of nearest runway to end of nearest runway between the two is 187 miles. Interestingly, the old Mueller airport IS 183 miles away. Did AA switch airports, and fail to update the flight distances? Yes I got bored and measured the distance both in google maps and great circle mapper, both generating 187 miles. I also realize 4 miles is nothing for me, but 10 non-stops a day, 150 a plane, 4 miles short, is 6k miles one way a day they are shaving off the earning.
Seriously, I have no idea how AA determines interairport distances. AA even changes various miles distances between destinations, and I’m sure it’s not continental drift. And Great Cirvle Mapper renders 190 miles.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; HH Gold; Bonvoy Gold; Wynd Diamond
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
On an Award ticket you are redeeming miles for travel. Why in the world would AA award MM? When you buy something at 50% off at a department store does the department store credit the entire retail price to an awards program? Or you have buy one, get one free does the department store award you two purchases?

I think if anything MM will ultimately turn into a dollar spend program rather than miles flown.
Award tickets don’t accrue miles and never have... but if I wanted to argue your points above I would point out that you *are* paying for award tickets, just in a different currency (miles vs. dollars.) AA does have the outstanding miles in all of our accounts on their books as a liability. Therefore, when we book award flights, that positively affects their bottom line. It wouldn’t be illogical to credit customers with BIS and/or EQM miles as, from an accounting perspective, award flying customers are a kind of revenue passenger — that revenue being a debit to the liability account for outstanding miles. Not saying it should or will ever happen, just that it wouldn’t be illogical.

Last edited by ptsailor; Nov 10, 2018 at 9:50 pm
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; HH Gold; Bonvoy Gold; Wynd Diamond

Here's the rub, the two airports are more than 183 miles apart, specifically, end of nearest runway to end of nearest runway between the two is 187 miles. Interestingly, the old Mueller airport IS 183 miles away. Did AA switch airports, and fail to update the flight distances? Yes I got bored and measured the distance both in google maps and great circle mapper, both generating 187 and 190 miles. I also realize 4 miles is nothing for me, but 10 non-stops a day, 150 a plane, 4 miles short, is 6k miles one way a day they are shaving off the earning.
Hmmm.. an AA FF mile has a value of — well for the purposes of this response what AA charges you to buy them, which is what 3.17 cents per — x 4 miles x 1500 pax/day x 365 days/year = $69,423/yr. You’re probably not going to get the interest of a class-action firm for that amount, but who knows... A few more routes with similar disparities and you might be in line for a check in the amount of around $2.98.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat

most likely they’re still using the old airport’s location. HKG-LAX used to also be referencing Kai Tak because I used to earn 7247 MM miles but now I earn 7260. It seems like AA just randomly will update the distances every now and then, likely it’s a very low priority.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:25 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Is it just me, or did AA get rid of our ability to track MMs? I used to be able to go to a tab within activity to see my MM activity. I don't see this anymore.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by uxb
Is it just me, or did AA get rid of our ability to track MMs? I used to be able to go to a tab within activity to see my MM activity. I don't see this anymore.
Click on "Activity" and aa.com will show MMs, at least on the desk top version.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:43 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Click on "Activity" and aa.com will show MMs, at least on the desk top version.
​​​​​
Thanks. Found it buried within the flight activity. It used to be in a separate tally.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:11 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was annoyed to find out this week that coach fares on BA apparently only earn 0.5 miles flown towards MM. This cost me about 2,000 as it was a TATL flight. Pretty crappy as it's supposed to be BIS and I wasn't on some Basic Economy type fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.