FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:15 pm
ptsailor

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; HH Gold; Bonvoy Gold; Wynd Diamond
Originally Posted by autdi
Interesting question looking at the route I take a lot. How are the MM miles calculated? I fly AUS-DFW 30-40 times a year, and looking at the report, I get 183 miles for this segment every time, regardless of ticket price.

Here's the rub, the two airports are more than 183 miles apart, specifically, end of nearest runway to end of nearest runway between the two is 187 miles. Interestingly, the old Mueller airport IS 183 miles away. Did AA switch airports, and fail to update the flight distances? Yes I got bored and measured the distance both in google maps and great circle mapper, both generating 187 and 190 miles. I also realize 4 miles is nothing for me, but 10 non-stops a day, 150 a plane, 4 miles short, is 6k miles one way a day they are shaving off the earning.
Hmmm.. an AA FF mile has a value of — well for the purposes of this response what AA charges you to buy them, which is what 3.17 cents per — x 4 miles x 1500 pax/day x 365 days/year = $69,423/yr. You’re probably not going to get the interest of a class-action firm for that amount, but who knows... A few more routes with similar disparities and you might be in line for a check in the amount of around $2.98.