Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2020 | 9:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Seeing J saver awards to SYD and MEL.

But the long segment on some are SFO-MEL but has the disclaimer that SFO-MEL service is subject to govt. approval.

So maybe it will vanish or maybe that is the reason it's available?

There are also a couple of SFO-NAN-SYD routings on Fiji Airways (FJ?). Odd thing is that SFO-NAN is a A330 and the NAN-SYD is on the A359.
Old Feb 9, 2020 | 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by wco81

But the long segment on some are SFO-MEL but has the disclaimer that SFO-MEL service is subject to govt. approval.

There are also a couple of SFO-NAN-SYD routings on Fiji Airways (FJ?). Odd thing is that SFO-NAN is a A330 and the NAN-SYD is on the A359.
That "pending govt approval" disclaimer is common language for any new international route. Nothing to worry about at all, the route will start as planned.
Old Feb 9, 2020 | 8:29 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by wco81

I can find absolutely nothing that indicates that AA is going to fly SFO to MEL. So it must be a codeshare with QF. On what dates are you seeing J award space? Checking on AA.com the response to award search SFO-MEL is an error message.
Old Feb 9, 2020 | 10:21 am
5 Years on Site

Yeah... I'm seeing these too. The MEL flights are out of LAX and also connect through to SYD. LAX will also bring up the SFO flights to SYD, as there are connections. The trans pacific legs are Qantas.

Handful of isolated flights in J showing towards the end of March and April (I didn't look farther out). There hasn't been anything new in forever it seems like on Qantas until last few days, except the Fiji Air flights. Nice. Grab them quick - I'm sure they won't last long.
Old Feb 14, 2020 | 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
An AA Award schedule change????

Originally Posted by JJeffrey

You can always book LGA-PHL-MAD, wait for the schedule change, then call and ask for the nonstop.
My wife I have a ticketed Award on BA (FLL - BCN) in June. The routing is FLL - PHL - LHR - BCN All in Business class. (FLL - Phl on AA. And the rest on BA)

I am aware that if there is a schedule change I may be able to have this changed to AA Metal (and even get a direct flight!).

I received an email with a slight schedule change. The PHL - LHR flight is now arriving 10 minutes later in LHR. (To be honest this is not a change that has any REAL impact to our schedule).

Question: Given that small schedule change would I still qualify to request changing our tics to an AA direct flight (MIA - BCN)

Thanks for your insights and any help that you may be able to offer.
Old Feb 14, 2020 | 3:41 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by AA Flyer
My wife I have a ticketed Award on BA (FLL - BCN) in June. The routing is FLL - PHL - LHR - BCN All in Business class. (FLL - Phl on AA. And the rest on BA)

I am aware that if there is a schedule change I may be able to have this changed to AA Metal (and even get a direct flight!).

I received an email with a slight schedule change. The PHL - LHR flight is now arriving 10 minutes later in LHR. (To be honest this is not a change that has any REAL impact to our schedule).

Question: Given that small schedule change would I still qualify to request changing our tics to an AA direct flight (MIA - BCN)

Thanks for your insights and any help that you may be able to offer.
Unlikely if you have sufficient time for the transfer in LHR. You are not arriving any later or leaving earlier. How short is your LHR connection?

I assume there isnt award availability on the mire direct flight. Probably the savings in surcharges would be bigger than the change fee.

ps be sure to look also at Iberia flights.
Old Feb 15, 2020 | 7:48 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
Unlikely if you have sufficient time for the transfer in LHR. You are not arriving any later or leaving earlier. How short is your LHR connection?

I assume there isnt award availability on the mire direct flight. Probably the savings in surcharges would be bigger than the change fee.

Connection has plenty of time. Yes there is award availability on AA. 6/19/20....Direct flight... 300k...1 way... biz class (NO mile saver avaialble). I am EXP so no fee for changes. And... I have not seen ANY Iberia awards (on AA.com) in quite some time! Is there another way to find Iberia / AA miles (partner) awards?? Thanks again
Old Feb 15, 2020 | 8:23 am
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I would suggest getting Expertflyer and put in alerts for the routings you want. Since you are Exp, you can put a newly available route on hold and cancel the old flights without fee to get the miles for the new one (if you dont already have them).

I milk changes for better flights but I dont think this change gets you any consideration.
Old Feb 15, 2020 | 8:49 am

I would suggest getting Expertflyer and put in alerts for the routings you want. Since you are Exp, you can put a newly available route on hold and cancel the old flights without fee to get the miles for the new one (if you dont already have them).

I milk changes for better flights but I dont think this change gets you any consideration.
thanks for your reply. I have Expert Flyer. I will keep monitoring flights and HOPE for a schedule change (so I can change to better flights). And HOPE that AA flights come to there senses and lowers the current 300k, (for one way... Biz class)... to something REASONABLE. Do you think ANYONE is biting at these 300k biz class awards? I have an awful lot of AA miles but cannot see ponying up 330k.
Old Feb 16, 2020 | 10:55 am

What exactly constitutes a schedule change long enough to warrant being put on a direct flight on a SAAver award? No status here but later this summer I’m going to attempt a Biz class award to LHR from LAX for next July/August. I can’t zip around airports as fast as I used to so even a legal connection time might not be enough for me plus with AA’s notorious maintenance issues lately...
Old Feb 16, 2020 | 11:43 am
20 Years on Site

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Gringa
What exactly constitutes a schedule change long enough to warrant being put on a direct flight on a SAAver award? No status here but later this summer Im going to attempt a Biz class award to LHR from LAX for next July/August. I cant zip around airports as fast as I used to so even a legal connection time might not be enough for me plus with AAs notorious maintenance issues lately...
I think any change of initial departure to final arrival of 60 minutes or more qualifies, but honestly if you have any change I'd call in. I've had them give me changes to a much preferred routing over a 15 minute difference by calling in and playing dumb.
GTITAN and Gringa like this.
Old Feb 16, 2020 | 11:57 am
Suspended
20 Years on Site

on a minor schedule change, approach it as a two-steper. first, ask for a slight accommodation into very next early/later flight. let it reticket and marinate a week. then, call back to get your dream reroute or even a full refund because the AA agent will use the current flights vs. original flights as the basis for comparison to determine if schedule change is significant enough.
GTITAN and Gringa like this.
Old Feb 16, 2020 | 11:58 am
Suspended
20 Years on Site

dupe.
Old Feb 16, 2020 | 12:13 pm

Thank you both. I’m very good at playing dumb unfortunately.
Old Feb 20, 2020 | 7:53 am
20 Years on Site

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
I have NRT-SFO-LAX-OMA award ticked in J, routing not great. I see AA 60 which leaves at the same time would get us home 7 hours earlier, if Saver seats don’t post has anyone had success getting a flight change at the airport? Trip in April so I have checking every couple of days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.