Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Perhaps they could be waiting for May 1 so they won't have to give anyone with an AA credit card 10% back? Wouldn't it make sense now that AA's made the announcement that the AA credit card 10% rebate on redemptions in going away on May 1, they might hold back some inventory until May 1, when essentially they'll get to collect about 10% more miles for the same awards from AA credit card holders?
I have a bunch of EF alerts set up for a few routes i have expected to open up. I don't know why i didn't think of this. That's exactly the kind of thing I would expect AA to do......

I don't really like it, but there is a ton of sense to it.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by beofotch
Sorry to have made such a low effort post. :-)

I have scanned the thread and didn't come across what I was curious about. Let me ask again a little clearer.

Has anyone stumbled on recently any non-stop business saaver availability from Charlotte to Europe for 2 in the next 330 days? I know there is a dearth out there and it seems even less than the pittance it used to be. Even the LHR, BCN suggestions in the post above aren't showing up for non-stop.

It used to be you could find a stray CLT - CDG or CLT - LHR. Now nothing.
I think your problem is married segment logic- if you are going say BNA-CLT-CDG it will be available, but not just CLT-CDG by itself. I'd book a flight with a PHL connection and hope the nonstop opens up later, or you get a schedule change and can move to the nonstop, or can standby on the day of flight. The middle of those is the most likely.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: AAdvatage
Perhaps they could be waiting for May 1 so they won't have to give anyone with an AA credit card 10% back? Wouldn't it make sense now that AA's made the announcement that the AA credit card 10% rebate on redemptions in going away on May 1, they might hold back some inventory until May 1, when essentially they'll get to collect about 10% more miles for the same awards from AA credit card holders?
Those with the Aviator Red card (or at least some of us) will have until November to get the 10% rebate per a mailer I got from Barclays.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
I have a bunch of EF alerts set up for a few routes i have expected to open up. I don't know why i didn't think of this. That's exactly the kind of thing I would expect AA to do......

I don't really like it, but there is a ton of sense to it.
LOL,. ummm.... yea, American Airlines is going to open a flood of summer business class availability to Europe and Asia because of the dropping of the 10% mileage rebate for a limited number of credit card holders?!

Seriously?

Well, that would be lovely but given AA's MO over the last many years count me as quite skeptical of this hypothesis...

Regards
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
AA miles offer value when used for:

1. travel on AA partners in J/F
2. travel booked at end of schedule in J/F, usually Saturdays only, between LAX/JFK
3. last minute travel, usually at anytime pricing, when the alternative is an expensive cash ticket
4. travel on AA booked during the unicorn windows once or twice a year when AA seems to open the spigots for milesaver inventory for a day or so
spigots have not been broadly opened in a while
Old May 1, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA Gold, SWA, Lifemiles, Emirates, Amex Plat.
Where is all of the AA business/first award flights???

I have been looking for months for AA metal to open up for a return flight from Europe to LAX. I have looked at every airport AA flies direct to from Europr to US and nada for this fall. Is there a secret (other than they want us to pay the surcharge for BA metal) to how and when these rare gems become available?

Thanks
Old May 1, 2019, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Old May 1, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
If you're already willing to take a positioning flight in Europe, your best bet might be to fly elsewhere in the US and then buy a flight from there to LAX. With married segment-based availability, cities like LAX are becoming tough.

Also, fall is still far away. Availability does open up in some routes as you get closer. I'd just keep checking.

Or getting BA with surcharges maybe isn't too bad a deal after all.. Just don't fly out of LHR to avoid the $200 tax for premium flights.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
You can revert to the older style interface for rewards. I learned that the hard way.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If you want to specify an origin airport (or two or three) and a date range perhaps people will help you. Your nothing from anywhere statement is obviously false. Don't bother to look for F awards from the origin airport if AA doesn't offer an F cabin from it - you're just going to see BA.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by legallyblond
I have been looking for months for AA metal to open up for a return flight from Europe to LAX. I have looked at every airport AA flies direct to from Europr to US and nada for this fall. Is there a secret (other than they want us to pay the surcharge for BA metal) to how and when these rare gems become available?

Thanks
You must not have checked every airport, because if you did you would have found the below sAAver availability on *AA metal* on both AMS-LAX and ZRH-LAX that appeared on literally the first date I checked for the fall . I also found a few random dates with availability from MAD, BCN, FRA, just to name a few.

enviroian and Antarius like this.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
I am sure we all understood the OP to mean SAAver J/F awards (e.g 57.5k in J), not this stuff. The post from JJeffrey shows that there are indeed some SAAver awards, but your post is not a reasonable response to the OP.
craigthemif likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I am sure we all understood the OP to mean SAAver J/F awards (e.g 57.5k in J), not this stuff. The post from JJeffrey shows that there are indeed some SAAver awards, but your post is not a reasonable response to the OP.
Maybe, the OP did not specify. I took the approach of giving a literal answer to a vague question filled with histrionics.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You must not have checked every airport, because if you did you would have found the below sAAver availability on *AA metal* on both AMS-LAX and ZRH-LAX that appeared on literally the first date I checked for the fall . I also found a few random dates with availability from MAD, BCN, FRA, just to name a few.

when you drill down into the details, youll find that those awards flights are 2, or mostly 3 segment trips with usually one of the legs in economy (and when Ive been looking, its usually the TATL segment that ends up with seat at the back of the bus though the 2 segment option on Oct 30 from AMS actually books into business to PHL, but PHL to LAX books into economy)
Old May 1, 2019, 10:34 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Thank goodness for these giant screenshots to really drive the point home.
Antarius and T. Sanderson like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.