Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Today’s announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓®: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓® include: members of the TSA Pre✓® application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBP’s NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓® is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓® / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓® program

• TSA Pre✓® may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓® members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓® program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓® status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓® status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓® printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓® program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓®

TSA Pre✓® was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓® members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓® Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓® status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓® Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓® on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓®, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by uxb
A dedicated line means that you don't stand on the same line as those with Priority AAccess. You walk up, hear the three beeps and go directly to TSA Pre. No airport has that... not even LAX. Presently, everyone has to queue up w/ the Priority AAccess folks, which is fine, but the line can get quite long at hubs like DFW, MIA and ORD. What I am saying is that you will not see a TSA Pre line that is separate from the PA line for some time.
That is not exactly true. LAX has a Pre Check Line that shares a TDC with PriorityAAccess (it is the left of the two). Unfortunately this is not well understood by the TSOs and is frequently not enforced so that both lines fill up with regular PriorityAAccess pax. In addition to being the Pre Check line the left line is also for 3-class F/Concierge Key/5 Star Service (so I guess it's technically not dedicated, but would almost always only have Pre Check travelers in it).
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by uxb
A dedicated line means that you don't stand on the same line as those with Priority AAccess. You walk up, hear the three beeps and go directly to TSA Pre. No airport has that... not even LAX. Presently, everyone has to queue up w/ the Priority AAccess folks, which is fine, but the line can get quite long at hubs like DFW, MIA and ORD. What I am saying is that you will not see a TSA Pre line that is separate from the PA line for some time.
Yes, LAX does, like said above, sometimes they don't allow it for some reason, but if you are TSA Pre, you walk up to the left of the Priority AAccess lane, get let through the rope, and approach from the left side, which is primarily for TSA Pre only (and has always been empty when I have approached it).

LAS separates you before you get to the Priority AAccess line, and if you are TSA Pre (I think they actually scan the BP there), you get sent down a separate lane, which is only for TSA Pre.

So while from what I've read all other airports have a shared line, LAX (at least some of the time) and LAS have a separate line for TSA Pre.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat.; DL Plat; Hilton Gold
I got a phone call on my mobile yesterday from someone with an 817 area code. Didn't recognize the number, so I let it go through to voice mail.

It was someone from AA, who left a message that I was eligible for pre-check, hadn't signed up, they saw I was flying out of LAX later in the week, and wanted to know if they'd like me to opt them in.

The guy didn't have a number that I could call him back, but he told me I could either do it at the ticket counter next time I was at the airport, or I could do it on my AA.com profile.

So, I guess I haven't been all that tuned-in to the program. I got a few things handed to me earlier this year, but didn't really understand how it worked, whether I was "in" or what I needed to do. So, the phone call was really helpful, in that regard.

Of course, when I heard the guy on my VM indicating that he was from AA, I immediately hoped that he was calling to ask whether I'd overlooked my Concierge Key invite (which, of course, I didn't get one, but a guy can dream, right?) Alors...
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:27 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
That is not exactly true. LAX has a Pre Check Line that shares a TDC with PriorityAAccess (it is the left of the two). Unfortunately this is not well understood by the TSOs and is frequently not enforced so that both lines fill up with regular PriorityAAccess pax. In addition to being the Pre Check line the left line is also for 3-class F/Concierge Key/5 Star Service (so I guess it's technically not dedicated, but would almost always only have Pre Check travelers in it).
Originally Posted by meballard
Yes, LAX does, like said above, sometimes they don't allow it for some reason, but if you are TSA Pre, you walk up to the left of the Priority AAccess lane, get let through the rope, and approach from the left side, which is primarily for TSA Pre only (and has always been empty when I have approached it).

LAS separates you before you get to the Priority AAccess line, and if you are TSA Pre (I think they actually scan the BP there), you get sent down a separate lane, which is only for TSA Pre.

So while from what I've read all other airports have a shared line, LAX (at least some of the time) and LAS have a separate line for TSA Pre.
Perhaps, there is a disconnect between what part of the line I was referring to... I am referring to the part of the line that leads up to the TSO that scans your BP.

If the lane is shared then it is not dedicated to TSA Pre Only. No such line exists, whether technically or not, at LAX. In fact, when I did TSA Pre at LAX, I was the only one of the 10+ people in front of me on the left lane (as well as the dozen or so behind me) that was actually eligible. If it were an actual dedicated lane, then non-eligible elites, F/C/PA pax should've all been on the right side; thus, clearing the lane for actual eligible pax.

I am not trying to turn it into a DYKWIA lane, BUT the term dedicated implies that use is reserved exclusively for eligible members. In theory,
TSA Pre is dedicated the same way as PA. However, in practise, anyone w/ PA can stand in the TSA Pre lane until they "find out" that they are not eligible and are re-directed to the right lane AHEAD of a bunch of non-TSA Pre people who bothered to read the sign.

Last edited by uxb; Mar 7, 2012 at 11:33 am
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:29 am

LAX changed it up today (or at least it was different than 2 weeks ago). They had First Class and Pre-Check combined in one line at the first door (on the left) and had Priority AAcess and wheelchairs at the second door. I was in a rush and did not note what was to the right of the first door but there was no opportunity to get in it. The First Class/Pre-Check line was spilling over to the elevator and there appeared to be no line at the second door but when I said I was moving the lady said they would send me back since I was Pre-Check. Of course since I'm also Platinum I was entitled to use and did use the other line so that I could catch early boarding for my flight (not sure why she thought I would be turned back) - I guess I'm not 100% at LAX anymore (but at least it was by choice). Hopefully this was a one-time change...
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:37 am
uxb

Originally Posted by Rookie3
LAX changed it up today (or at least it was different than 2 weeks ago). They had First Class and Pre-Check combined in one line at the first door (on the left) and had Priority AAcess and wheelchairs at the second door. I was in a rush and did not note what was to the right of the first door but there was no opportunity to get in it. The First Class/Pre-Check line was spilling over to the elevator and there appeared to be no line at the second door but when I said I was moving the lady said they would send me back since I was Pre-Check. Of course since I'm also Platinum I was entitled to use and did use the other line so that I could catch early boarding for my flight (not sure why she thought I would be turned back) - I guess I'm not 100% at LAX anymore (but at least it was by choice). Hopefully this was a one-time change...
Thanks for further affirming my POV that the LAX TSA Pre queue is not dedicated.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by uxb
Perhaps, there is a disconnect between what part of the line I was referring to... I am referring to the part of the line that leads up to the TSO that scans your BP.

If the lane is shared then it is not dedicated to TSA Pre Only. No such line exists, whether technically or not, at LAX. In fact, when I did TSA Pre at LAX, I was the only one of the 10+ people in front of me on the left lane (as well as the dozen or so behind me) that was actually eligible. If it were an actual dedicated lane, then non-eligible elites, F/C/PA pax should've all been on the right side; thus, clearing the lane for actual eligible pax.

I am not trying to turn it into a DYKWIA lane, BUT the term dedicated implies that use is reserved exclusively for eligible members. In theory,
TSA Pre is dedicated the same way as PA. However, in practise, anyone w/ PA can stand in the TSA Pre lane until they "find out" that they are not eligible and are re-directed to the right lane AHEAD of a bunch of non-TSA Pre people who bothered to read the sign.
It is a dedicated lane, it's just not always enforced. Just as sometimes there is no person guarding the PA lines at numerous airports. Enforcement (when it happens) IME is performed by the TDC.

Reading the post above yours, perhaps it has changed in the past week.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:46 am
uxb

It is a dedicated lane, it's just not always enforced. Just as sometimes there is no person guarding the PA lines at numerous airports. Enforcement (when it happens) IME is performed by the TDC.

Reading the post above yours, perhaps it has changed in the past week.
Non-enforcement kinda removes the dedicated connotation. A contemporary example is the NEXUS or GE queues. Those are dedicated queues because they are reserved for the explicit use of NEXUS or GE members at all times. Irregardless of the time of day, the amount of traffic at an airport, etc., if groups other than those specified are allowed to queue in it, then it is no more dedicated than the AAdvantage PLT call desk.

Obviously, we have different definitions of the term "dedicated." However, until TSA actually limits the people allowed to stand in queue to TSA Pre only, it is not a dedicated line.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by uxb
Non-enforcement kinda removes the dedicated connotation. A contemporary example is the NEXUS or GE queues. Those are dedicated queues because they are reserved for the explicit use of NEXUS or GE members at all times. Irregardless of the time of day, the amount of traffic at an airport, etc., if groups other than those specified are allowed to queue in it, then it is no more dedicated than the AAdvantage PLT call desk.

Obviously, we have different definitions of the term "dedicated." However, until TSA actually limits the people allowed to stand in queue to TSA Pre only, it is not a dedicated line.
At least it was dedicated. In the time I went through it, the left lane was specifically enforced (roped off, had to ask to get into the left side, and was empty), and from my impression for TSA Pre only. It's possible that it may include people using the AA special service, but that wasn't evident (and extremely few).

Whether things have changed recently, I couldn't say.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:58 am
uxb

At least it was dedicated. In the time I went through it, the left lane was specifically enforced (roped off, had to ask to get into the left side, and was empty), and from my impression for TSA Pre only. It's possible that it may include people using the AA special service, but that wasn't evident (and extremely few).

There was a sign that said TSA Pre only, but everyone in queue was acting new when they were passed off to the right.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:59 am

The one time I went through Flagship check-in the porter who escorted me to security was confused and annoyed to see people in line (he tried to carry my bag around the people in the left lane!) and the Special Services rep following close behind apologized and explained that this was supposed to be dedicated to Flagship. I asked if it was for Pre Check too (as this was consistent with my experience) and she said yes.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 12:11 pm

In my experience at LAX over the past couple of months (including 2 weeks ago), the left of the first door was roped off but if you were Pre-Check they let you through (although I had an issue one time that was resolved). They also sent Flagship through the left - and I never ran into a line there. What happened today was totally different - the Pre-Check sign was still on the left as was a sign for first class and the lady explicitly told me First Class and Pre-Check were there and Priority AAcess was at the second door. Perhaps they moved Flagship to the right to make that a quicker dedicated line (there were 2-3 people there as I passed it on my way to the second door).
Old Mar 7, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
The one time I went through Flagship check-in the porter who escorted me to security was confused and annoyed to see people in line (he tried to carry my bag around the people in the left lane!) and the Special Services rep following close behind apologized and explained that this was supposed to be dedicated to Flagship. I asked if it was for Pre Check too (as this was consistent with my experience) and she said yes.
There's definitely mixing going on at that first door with the PreCheck sign. Flew out of LAX on Monday, and there are two feeders going to the TSO at that station - the left lane for PreCheck (and maybe Flagship psgrs?), and a right lane for First/Business. Other Priority AAccess was at the second door. At least that's how the contractor directing people to the various checkpoints was sending people. My partner and I are both in the PreCheck program and queued up on the left. There were delays at the "normal" screening lane being fed on the right-hand side, which slowed up the TSO, so the lines moved very slowly.

My partner spoke with a TSA supervisor after we finally got past the TSO ID checker and went through the PreCheck lane. She told him that TSA originally intended and set up that first checkpoint to be PreCheck only, and that it was AA creating the bottleneck and delay by feeding certain priority passengers (who aren't necessarily PreCheck cleared) through there as well.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM; GE & IRIS
AA 518 MIA-JFK today making my LLL record 13/13.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by uxb
I invite you to join us at ORD on 3/20 as there will be a DEDICATED PreCheck lane. All passengers approaching the First Class checkpoint will have their bp scanned before entering the queue. TSA Precheck passengers will continue straight to the TDC to have their BP scanned by the TSA and will proceed. Those passengers without the indicator will be directed to the normal First Class queue.

On Thursday, 3/8, AA will have agents available to promote the program and answer questions in front of the First Class ticket counter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.