Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Today’s announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓®: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓® include: members of the TSA Pre✓® application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBP’s NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓® is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓® / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓® program

• TSA Pre✓® may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓® members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓® program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓® status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓® status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓® printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓® program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓®

TSA Pre✓® was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓® members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓® Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓® status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓® Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓® on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓®, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, UA 1K
Originally Posted by jimorr67
LAS is nice! Now we need DEN, SFO, AUS, LAX, ORD, MIA, and EWR to cover my January itineraries!

I am 6 for 6 at DFW so far. Loving it.
It is already in effect in MIA, so strike that from your wish list. Fastest I ever got through security in MIA...wonderful.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
Is there any way to enter a PASSID to an existing reservation? Made the reservation prior to enrolling in Global Entry/Trusted Traveler Program. I now have the PASSID but cannot figure out how to enter it.
Thanks
Old Dec 23, 2011, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by tbrein
Is there any way to enter a PASSID to an existing reservation? Made the reservation prior to enrolling in Global Entry/Trusted Traveler Program. I now have the PASSID but cannot figure out how to enter it.
Thanks
It's done under "My Account" , then "Personal Information and Password" on your AAdvantage profile.

--wes
Old Dec 23, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
Originally Posted by wesmanz
It's done under "My Account" , then "Personal Information and Password" on your AAdvantage profile.

--wes
Thanks for your reply. I had already done that and it said it would be applied to future bookings. I have three booking prior to admission into the trusted traveler/Global Entry program and would like to add the PASSID to them. Should I call AA and ask them to enter the PASSID into the booking as there is no way that I can see to do it online?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by pssteve
Great to hear that LAX joins the group on Jan 17.
Whoo-hoo! I'm planning a trip no earlier than Jan 19.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:17 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by tbrein
Thanks for your reply. I had already done that and it said it would be applied to future bookings. I have three booking prior to admission into the trusted traveler/Global Entry program and would like to add the PASSID to them. Should I call AA and ask them to enter the PASSID into the booking as there is no way that I can see to do it online?
You could ask the phone agent to delete your AAdvantage number from your rez and then re-add it.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I was at MIA the evening of the 25th and walked up to the PA boarding lane after getting my BP from the kiosk. All of sudden the checker opens up a rope and I get ushered into a private lane like I'm a VIP being taken into a big club past all the patrons standing in line to get in.

I looked at my BP and saw nothing unusual. So how does the checker know whether you are Trusted Traveler. The only thing I could think was something in the bar code when the BP is examined. IIRC being an EXP does not automatically qualify for the program.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I was at MIA the evening of the 25th and walked up to the PA boarding lane after getting my BP from the kiosk. All of sudden the checker opens up a rope and I get ushered into a private lane like I'm a VIP being taken into a big club past all the patrons standing in line to get in.

I looked at my BP and saw nothing unusual. So how does the checker know whether you are Trusted Traveler. The only thing I could think was something in the bar code when the BP is examined. IIRC being an EXP does not automatically qualify for the program.
Did you read any of the posts in this thread?

--wes
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: AA PLT; DL GLD; Hertz #1; Hilton Diamond
I'm registered, but the DFW airport isn't my closest airport, so I rarely fly out of it. Plus, if I fly a regional airport I get more segments. Anyone know how this process is going, both for the TSA and airlines? Any rumors of expansion? I would only really be able to take advantage of it on return flights.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Platinum, DL Silver Medallion
I experienced the Pre-check approved checkpoint in DFW Terminal C for the first time two days ago. When the TSA gatekeeper scanned my boarding pass into her podium, I was pulled aside into an empty line and told that I could keep on my sport coat, belt, shoes, etc. For some reason, I triggered the metal detector (still scratching my head on that one), but instead of sending me back through, the TSA agent did a swab of my hands for a particulate test and, following a clean result, sent me on my way.

It was the first time I've been through a checkpoint in years without being treated like a near-criminal. And not having to spend five minutes recomposing myself on the other side of the checkpoint was incredibly refreshing.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I don't know what has happened, but after going through the TT line almost 10 times in a row, the last 4 in a row hasn't allowed me the "LLL" only "CLR" and have to go through the Proctologist line....

What gives with that!?!?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plt, Marriott Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC
Had my interview....if you could call it that on Wednesday at DFW.

The process was a breeze i showed up about a half hour early and they had no problem processing me early.

The CBP guy took my passport and DL and came back five minutes later, took my picture and fingerprints. Asked me a few questions.
Who do i work for?
What do i do?
Why do i want to be in the program?
Have i ever been arrested?
Have i ever committed a crime internationally?

And I was in and out in less than 10 minutes.

I have added my GOES ID to my AA.com account. How can i verify if it has been added to the PNRs? I have about 20 flights already booked. I dont want to take off my AA# and re-add it because last time I did that is messed up my upgrades.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 1:25 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I am 3 for 3 at the DFW C30 checkpoint. My latest was late afternoon on Thursday, when the regular line for ID check was at least 30 deep, followed by a crowded mess for the rest of the process. I saved at least 20 minutes bypassing both.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
If I understand correctly, currently AA offers this program for free to EXP and PLT, or you can pay to sign up for Global Entry and get in that way. Has anyone seen if AA plans to extend free access to GLD at some point?

For those invited to enroll because of status, is the enrollment permanent, or does it expire if your status drops below PLT?
Old Dec 31, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Now that there's 'trust' again

Maybe this belongs in a new thread, but if they are starting 'trust' again, does this open the door to more easily using a AC as a place to have a business meeting, even if not flying? (Having a meeting with people that are flying through)

In other words, the ability, once 'trusted', to easily get a gate pass, perhaps even online or at an airport kiosk and cross into Airside as it used to be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.