Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Todays announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓ include: members of the TSA Pre✓ application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBPs NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓ is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓ / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓ program

• TSA Pre✓ may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓ members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓ program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓ status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓ status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓ printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓ program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓

TSA Pre✓ was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓ members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓ Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓ status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓ Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓ Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓ on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2013, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
AA IT.

UA has already rolled it out, as well as one other airline (can't remember who).
Old May 1, 2013, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider
AA IT.

UA has already rolled it out, as well as one other airline (can't remember who).
Would be nice. I've been turned down for TSA Pre not knowing what I didn't do right, and would be nice if the boarding pass itself would ID such error or lack of TSAPre previledge.
Old May 1, 2013, 1:47 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Would be nice. I've been turned down for TSA Pre not knowing what I didn't do right, and would be nice if the boarding pass itself would ID such error or lack of TSAPre previledge.
The BP will not tell you Why if you are not eligible. Only whether or not you are.

Cheers.
Old May 3, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I wanted to confirm posts earlier related to PHL and Pre-Check. Pre-Check is available in terminal b/c (US Airways/United terminal) for any airline that uses Pre-Check in A/B/C.

It is a short 8 minute slow walk from B/C to A West. The Pre-Check line is a completely separate line so it's fast and easy. I would however confirm that you are eligible for Pre-Check prior to making the trip down to B/C (using a barcode scanner app mentioned earlier in this thread) so you don't make a wasted trip.
Old May 3, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
I have both Global Entry and NEXUS in addition to elite status. It's just very odd to me how different the rates that I get to use Pre-Check are between the two airlines. With DL is almost a guarantee and with AA it's a crap shoot...particularly at LAX and SNA.
Well, but that's what you get. I get 100% at LAX with AA (with the obvious well-known exception of when starting out on an international itenerary). I don't fly out of SNA very often, and I haven't flow out of there since they added PreCheck there. (And I don't fly any other airline that has PreCheck yet.) I also have both NEXUS and an elite invite from AA.

But I have no middle name at all (legally), no variation in my name ever anywhere, and that may be a factor. Lots of people who have had issues it turned out to be some tiny variation in how their name or other information was entered. (I never "enter" any information afresh at AA, I only login online and book my flight, so it uses the same info every time for everything. And I never book AA flights any other way.)

Among other things you haven't explained whether you're booking yourself online at AA every time (the same way I am), or whether you're using corporate bookings, or what. The more variables there are, the more likely that something can get messed up a little bit. And a little bit is all it takes.
Old May 3, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
I have both Global Entry and NEXUS in addition to elite status. It's just very odd to me how different the rates that I get to use Pre-Check are between the two airlines. With DL is almost a guarantee and with AA it's a crap shoot...particularly at LAX and SNA.
I have found the same thing - DL = automatic / AA = very sporadic. Does TSA have a problem with AA?
Old May 3, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
I'll admit, I must have some terrible reading comprehension, because Ive read pages upon pages of this thread and I'm still having trouble answering this very basic question:

I have supposedly qualified for PreCheck on AA, but how do I know when I arrive to the airport if I should go to the PreCheck line or the normal "priority" line? I almost always get my pass from the desk vs kiosk/self check. They asked me about it the last time I flew at the First class line, but the person I was traveling with isnt at all qualified for the PreCheck, so I didnt ask more about it.

Last edited by austin_modern; May 3, 2013 at 5:35 pm
Old May 3, 2013, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
You always go to Pre line. If you get LLL, you're in. If you get CLR, you can stay and go through the non-LLL Pre line, or you can exit and go to the Priority line (if there's a different one) - which ever is shorter (if that's your preference... not me, I go wherever I can have the greatest probability of a WTMD to avoid the grope).

But, you should arrive at the airport knowing if you're going to get the LLL (read upthread for scanning your OLBP).
Old May 3, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, CK, 4 MM; Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by krlcomm
I have found the same thing - DL = automatic / AA = very sporadic. Does TSA have a problem with AA?
Absolutely false (bolded portion). I am on AA every week and with the exception of 2 weeks ago outbound from LAX to JFK (I assume due to sequestration), I was cleared each time (LLL). Also cleared at MIA, ATL, LAS, DCA, DFW, so far this year.
Old May 4, 2013, 10:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Off topic posts have been deleted.

Those with technical issues should post in the Technical Issues Forum; those with suggestions or recommendations should post in the Suggestions Forum. In neither case are those issues appropriate to an Airline forum.

/Moderator
Old May 5, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq
Absolutely false (bolded portion). I am on AA every week and with the exception of 2 weeks ago outbound from LAX to JFK (I assume due to sequestration), I was cleared each time (LLL). Also cleared at MIA, ATL, LAS, DCA, DFW, so far this year.
Glad it's working for someone at AA, I'm roughly 3 for my last 15 - MIA twice and once at SNA. Everywhere else it's been no dice for me..

Have been an airline opt-in with DL since the program started and can remember missing one time (LAS) and that's it.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by krlcomm
Glad it's working for someone at AA, I'm roughly 3 for my last 15 - MIA twice and once at SNA. Everywhere else it's been no dice for me..

Have been an airline opt-in with DL since the program started and can remember missing one time (LAS) and that's it.
Although TSA is the final authority, have you checked your BPs to see if they have pre-cleared? There are several postings that show how to read your BP before getting the airport and knowing if Pre-Check is approved.
Old May 5, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Plt, Hyatt Plt
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
I finally got precheck for an international itinerary with a domestic leg in front.
Originally Posted by BogeyMan
I was hoping for the same today at LAX but no such luck. 0 for 3 this year on precheck for international itin with a domestic leg first.
0 for 4 this year for precheck on the domestic leg in front of international itin (LAX/ORD/DUS). I have no problem with precheck for domestic only itins but still hoping for domestic in front of international itins. I checked in at the airport this time for this itin (did not use OL check in) and still no precheck.

On the return leg (DUS/ORD/LAX) DUS could not issue my ORD/LAX boarding pass so I checked in at ORD. No precheck at ORD.
Old May 5, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by BogeyMan
0 for 4 this year for precheck on the domestic leg in front of international itin (LAX/ORD/DUS). I have no problem with precheck for domestic only itins but still hoping for domestic in front of international itins. I checked in at the airport this time for this itin (did not use OL check in) and still no precheck.

On the return leg (DUS/ORD/LAX) DUS could not issue my ORD/LAX boarding pass so I checked in at ORD. No precheck at ORD.
There were 4 of us this week all with Global Entry and either PLT or EXP and all cleared at ORD, JFK, and MIA. The ORD was a separate record all domestic, but the JFK was the first leg of an international itinerary, and we needed to clear a second time in MIA for the international flight. On the return, all cleared in MIA. The tickets were purchased on the phone from the EXP desk.
Old May 5, 2013, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
yes/no

For the first time since I became eligible for TSA-PRE I went PRE at IAD on Saturday morning. The next day at SFO I did not go PRE but was redirected to the first class/elite queue. Will it always be like this? DL and UA have become quite consistent. I hope AA will get there too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.