Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Today’s announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓®: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓® include: members of the TSA Pre✓® application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBP’s NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓® is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓® / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓® program

• TSA Pre✓® may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓® members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓® program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓® status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓® status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓® printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓® program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓®

TSA Pre✓® was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓® members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓® Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓® status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓® Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓® on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓®, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by austinite123
I'm now 6 out of 8 being cleared. TSA agent told me if your itinerary includes an international leg you won't clear for that whole trip.

Don't know if it is true but it matches my experience.
Definitely not true, see my posts from just two weeks ago where I twice cleared. TSA is the government, why would you believe them?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 1:14 pm

Pre check advise lga (aa)

Greetings

AA EXP

Enrolled in pre check

Almost 100% success in ORD

Probably 70% success LGA

Last 2 times denied while 3 in front of me cleared and 4 behind me cleared

Using barcode on I PHONE

Last 2 times denied at LGA

100% sure that my (excellent) travel agent is using name birthdate EXACTLY as it appears in AAdvantage profile

Last denial was 1 way F class purchased morning of departure, so I completely understand denial

Today’s ticket purchased last Monday round trip discounted first- Denied

Any tips from my fellow warriors?

I have been reading about the ability to forge passcodes and wondering if LGA just super sensitive?

Thanks
Old Nov 8, 2012, 1:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moderator action

We continue to merge the PreCheck questions and posts into the PreCheck consolidated thread, as it really has little to do with a specific airline, but rather the TSA and its PreCheck program.

/Moderator
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by skimelance
Greetings

AA EXP

Enrolled in pre check

Almost 100% success in ORD

Probably 70% success LGA

Last 2 times denied while 3 in front of me cleared and 4 behind me cleared

Using barcode on I PHONE

Last 2 times denied at LGA

100% sure that my (excellent) travel agent is using name birthdate EXACTLY as it appears in AAdvantage profile

Last denial was 1 way F class purchased morning of departure, so I completely understand denial

Today’s ticket purchased last Monday round trip discounted first- Denied

Any tips from my fellow warriors?

I have been reading about the ability to forge passcodes and wondering if LGA just super sensitive?

Thanks
I haven't had any problems using pre at LGA. The only thing that stood out recently was a beep for a random hand swab but got the 3 beeps every time I've been thru there as well as JFK, LAX & DFW. I do print my BP at the kiosk for pre airports (don't trust home BPs & smartphones) so you may want to try that instead of iphone.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:16 am

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Hot off the wire..
FYI
Australia extends SmartGate to U.S. Trusted Travelers
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:29 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by RxCapt
I do print my BP at the kiosk for pre airports (don't trust home BPs & smartphones) so you may want to try that instead of iphone.
My home-printed boarding passes work fine at STL, 100% so far.

100% everywhere all year other than a BP printed at LGA for use at ORD the next morning. (BP printed before LGA had pre-check).
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Pre saved me yesterday on a DCA->DFW->DEN trip. I showed up at 1400 for a 1505 departure and the center pier for AA was jammed. Even the elite aisle. So I hoofed it to the north pier and Pre. 3 of 4 guys ahead of me made it and so did I.

The walk to Pre took about 3 minutes, 3 more to get through, and I was on the shuttle back to the center pier a few minutes later. I was in the AC with enough time to grab a coffee and paper. The regular screening looked like it was about 25 minutes.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by canyonleo
Definitely not true, see my posts from just two weeks ago where I twice cleared. TSA is the government, why would you believe them?
Rather than generically bash "the government," I'd suggest that the TSA might not have a policy of briefing each front-line agent with policy and algorithm details, and that front-line agents might repeat things that have been heard or inferred from observation, either of which may not match policy or implementation reality.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott-Platinum Elite, National-Exec Elite
I went like 5 for 5 early on in the program before I was rejected 21 times in a row. Finally figured out my Global Entry card, passport and drivers license all had my middle initial while my AA account did not. Added the middle initial and solved the problem....basically.

Had a situation yesterday at ORD where I went to the TSA Pre-Check lane where there were two 'code readers' out near the beginning of the line. Scanned my iPhone and showed my DL. LLL came up on the readout on the scanner and I was waved forward. At the conveyor belt there was another kiosk and TSA agent with a different scanning device. After he scanned my iPhone again I was directed into the other lane where I needed to follow the typical TSA rules and receive my full body scan, etc. More of a hassle than anything since the lines were minimal but I did receive the magic LLL code only to be rescanned 40 feet closer to the gate.

I don't understand the reason they need to scan the BP twice......
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by klindy

The first scanner is operated by a contractor who does not check ID. A "terrorist" could uses someone else's BP to get through there, then showing their own along with ID. I think in your case it would have been worth going back for a paper BP, just in case there was an issue with the iPhone BP.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by klindy
I don't understand why the two scans had different results.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anabolism
I don't understand why the two scans had different results.
Maybe the first verified eligibility for the fast lane and the second "randomized" klindy into the standard screening protocol.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Maybe the first verified eligibility for the fast lane and the second "randomized" klindy into the standard screening protocol.
This is the only logical answer.
JFK T8 is another location where they scan twice: once to allow you access to the pre-check line, and a second time by the TSA ID checker.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 5:06 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by skimelance
Greetings

Thanks
I've gotten cleared as Trusted Traveler on tickets I bought at the airport five minutes before getting to the security line. "Purchased morning of departure" shouldn't matter.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 5:09 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by Panamajon513
Was randomly selected to go through regular screening instead of Pre Check Trusted Traveler line in MIA yesterday for the first time since last January. Makes me 19/28 at that airport.
No problem this week, now 20/29 at MIA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.