Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Today’s announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓®: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓® include: members of the TSA Pre✓® application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBP’s NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓® is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓® / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓® program

• TSA Pre✓® may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓® members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓® program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓® status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓® status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓® printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓® program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓®

TSA Pre✓® was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓® members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓® Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓® status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓® Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓® on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓®, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:32 am

Yes, a few weeks ago in SLC I saw a head of family who was pre-approved being offered the option of going through the fast process alone or going through regular screening with his family members.

BTW, in SLC there is a pre-approved lane at the DL terminal (2) but not at terminal 1 (American), so I arrive with my AA BP and go to terminal 2 security, then connect airside to T1. Not much farther when coming from the rental car return.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:21 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by siankaan1
Turns out I'll be going through ORD security early on 3/20. Any updates on this? Good to go as far as anyone knows?
Up and running at 5 AM this morning. Lots of suits standing around observing, and one of them told me this was their first morning.

It's at the First Class checkpoint (#8) in the AA terminal.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by janetdoe
Up and running at 5 AM this morning. Lots of suits standing around observing, and one of them told me this was their first morning.

It's at the First Class checkpoint (#8) in the AA terminal.
Just came through. BP printed at LGA didn't get the love, so I reprinted at kiosk here and walked right through. Suits still here, also AA employees registering EXPs and I thought she also said PT.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by siankaan1
Just came through. BP printed at LGA didn't get the love, so I reprinted at kiosk here and walked right through. Suits still here, also AA employees registering EXPs and I thought she also said PT.
Just came through as well. Lots of suits. Someone did try to hand me a brochure and asked if i was EXP or PT. There was even a bit of a line for it when i walked through.

That first class checkpoint will likely get pretty crowded with only one lane now.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Just thru LAX. PA line 40-50 folks deep. No one manning TSA Pre line so went to end of PA line and asked if Pre was open. "Maven" took us back to Pre area where we were quickly checked and that makes SO and I 7 for 7 at LAX.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2012/0320.shtm

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) today launched TSA Pre✓™ operations at Ronald Reagan Washington National (DCA) and Chicago O’Hare International (ORD) airports. In addition, active duty service members in the U.S. Armed Forces are now eligible to receive the same expedited screening benefits when flying out of DCA as part of TSA Pre✓™. TSA has worked closely with the Department of Defense to implement these screening procedures for service members.

(...)

TSA has partnered with the Department of Defense to further streamline screening for active duty service members. Active duty and active drilling service members departing at DCA can present their Common Access Card (CAC) to a TSA Officer in front of the TSA Pre✓™ lane, where it will be scanned to see if they qualify for expedited screening. Eligible service members do not need to be in uniform to qualify for TSA Pre✓™ benefits.
Bolding added. Active duty service members flying out of DCA are now Pre-Check eligible.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2012/0320.shtm

Bolding added. Active duty service members flying out of DCA are now Pre-Check eligible.
There is also a FT thread on the topic: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...y-members.html
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Bad week for Trusted Traveler, missed it in Miami and again in Las Vegas this morning. Seriously, what the heck is the point?!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:19 am

Wish DCA were rolling this in the AA pier.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by Panamajon513
Bad week for Trusted Traveler, missed it in Miami and again in Las Vegas this morning. Seriously, what the heck is the point?!
I'm 7/8 flying out of MIA so far this year.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Hertz 5*, HHonors Diamond
It was fun going through the Pre line at ORD yesterday. As others have noted, a TON of suits and uniformed people standing around. When I went through at about 10:30, they were even filming the process. And they had a TV set up with a video running in a loop that explained what Pre was all about.

They're using the lane that used to be solely for ORD employees and flight crew. It has a little swinging gate at the beginning of the line and another right by the BP/ID check podium. They also have a BP scanner right at the beginning of that area, the entrance to the priority checkpoint, where the little 4' lady with the red jacket used to be. Now they scan your BP there and tell you which line to get into, regular priority or Pre. System seems well laid out and appears to work well. It wasn't especially crowded (except for the 8 million observers) when I went through.

The BP checker at LAX seemed very flustered when I went through there. A guy cleared just before me and then I cleared. For both of us, he seemed quite surprised, muttering "it's usually only every 8th or 9th person who clears; they must have changed something." Strange.

I'm now 4/4 at LAX, 1/1 at ORD for real, and 3/3 for ORD before it opened (the scanner would show whether or not I was eligible and I made it a point to ask, if things had been ready to go, would I have qualified, and I was told "yes" each time).

So 8/8 between ORD and LAX for me.

Best part was yesterday was a simple ORD-LAX-ORD MR, with 2.5 hours at LAX, so I went outside. Never had to take off my shoes or any of that other jazz all day. Nice.

I've realized something about this whole Pre thing, though. Don't know if it's already been discussed in this thread, but I think, while we all love it and it sure does make the whole security circus a lot less painful, it's also a way for TSA to hire a whole lot more staff and purchase equipment. I'm wondering if that isn't really the driving basis for this, rather than pax comfort and satisfaction.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by 2millionquest
I've realized something about this whole Pre thing, though. Don't know if it's already been discussed in this thread, but I think, while we all love it and it sure does make the whole security circus a lot less painful, it's also a way for TSA to hire a whole lot more staff and purchase equipment. I'm wondering if that isn't really the driving basis for this, rather than pax comfort and satisfaction.
I don't think it is. All they have is a metal detector, that likely was taken out when they added the giant nud-o-scope and at least in DFW they use a lane that was never really manned before. I don't see any additional headcount there either as there have always been TSA agents standing around with or without Pre-check.

The setup you describe at ORD is similar to how it should be at DFW, but there should be a designated line for Pre, not just PA/Pre. If you are a member of Pre-check, you go to the line, if you don't get LLL, you get sent directly to the regular security line, if you get LLL you move on to the designated Pre line. The thing that's slowing it all down in DFW is sharing the line with PA, which can sometime be as long as the regular line with the ease of gaining PA these days.

--wes
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
I think the intention is in the long term a reduction of staffing cost. TSA Pre lines should be able to process more people with less staffing, once the number of people using it is high enough to get people consistently moving through it.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Hertz 5*, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by meballard
I think the intention is in the long term a reduction of staffing cost. TSA Pre lines should be able to process more people with less staffing, once the number of people using it is high enough to get people consistently moving through it.
Maybe I'm just too cynical, but there were 3 BP checkers at ORD yesterday, as opposed to the prior 1, and both lines were open and manned (which hasn't been the case in more than a year prior). And two physical BP scanning machines/podiums, as opposed to the prior one. The one out at the beginning of the line is quite different (metallic rather than wooden) and looks much newer and jazzier than the older wooden one.

Same with LAX. Now they have a whole new section open, with appropriate staffing, BP readers, BP scanning machines, et cetera.

I can't comment on other locations, as I haven't used them, but at ORD and LAX seems they need a lot more staff and equipment than they did before.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Maybe I'm just too cynical, but there were 3 BP checkers at ORD yesterday, as opposed to the prior 1, and both lines were open and manned (which hasn't been the case in more than a year prior). And two physical BP scanning machines/podiums, as opposed to the prior one. The one out at the beginning of the line is quite different (metallic rather than wooden) and looks much newer and jazzier than the older wooden one.

Same with LAX. Now they have a whole new section open, with appropriate staffing, BP readers, BP scanning machines, et cetera.

I can't comment on other locations, as I haven't used them, but at ORD and LAX seems they need a lot more staff and equipment than they did before.
Near term, absolutely more staffing, but my thought is that the TSA Pre line should be able to process more people on the same equipment with fewer people, since they won't have to move around nearly as many bins, do as many separate checks of bags, fewer pat-downs, get people moved through fasters, etc. I'm thinking about it from purely a long term perspective, needing fewer staff doing/just on the other side of security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.