Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award $75 expedite / close-in processing fee (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2015, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA: $75 Expedite Ticketing Fee for awards ticketed within 21 days of travel
(Does not apply to AAdvantage elite status holders)

American Airlines charges a $75 "expedite (ticketing) fee" for awards that are less than 21 days from booking (waived for AAdvantage elite members using miles from their own account - but it may vary for awards for others; some report being charged, others not).

There used to be a workaround "loophole"- book for over 21 days out, then change to a closer date. This loophole was closed February 16, 2012, and there is no known way of avoiding this fee for those required to pay it.

AAdvantage Award Processing Charges
Ticketing less than 21 days prior to departure $75
(Waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® and
AAdvantage Gold® (and Platinum Pro, Concierge Key EP) members using miles from their account)
Waivers for ticketing and airport purchase fees, less than 21 day from purchase travel and redeposit fee do not normally extend to those using their miles to purchase awards for non-status flyers (though this seems to vary, according to members' experiences)..

See aa.com awards booking page (as of 22 Mar 2016)here.

Print Wikipost

AA award $75 expedite / close-in processing fee (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 5:29 pm

Did the $75 close in fee go away?

Originally Posted by JonNYC
This change will take place at the same time/slightly in-advance-of a bunch of other evolving changes (including updating the rules for changing an award tickets,) and, obviously the further phase-in of dynamic pricing of awards (which will take a while to fully phase in, especially for premium awards) SO, it's a lot of stuff.
Did AA ultimately not remove the pesky $75 award close in fee? I still see the charge online
Old Nov 18, 2019, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by maple
Did AA ultimately not remove the pesky $75 award close in fee? I still see the charge online
Not yet
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Fee will be going away in coming months:
https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1...377665538?s=20
https://onemileatatime.com/american-...icketing-fees/

Fee removed, reportedly.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 7:20 pm

Programs: Marriott (Titanium); National (Exec); Hilton (Gold)
Looks like lawsuit brewing on this one.

Been getting this Facebook ad all week: https://americanairlines-improperfees.com/

Seems odd for fee that went away in 2020, but I guess they stole a fair number of dollars from people.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah I saw that too, but it wasn't clear what the issue was - they were still charging it to people after the policy changed to not charge it? I didn't click through enough on that site to see details.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 10:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Never been charged as an elite. Sounds like attorney is fishing.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by XMS91
Looks like lawsuit brewing on this one.

Been getting this Facebook ad all week: https://americanairlines-improperfees.com/

Seems odd for fee that went away in 2020, but I guess they stole a fair number of dollars from people.
The suit coverage period start in 2016

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.