Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring Vouchers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Transferring Vouchers

Does anyone know the rules on transferring VDB or IDB vouchers to someone else? Are the rules different for the two kinds?
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Anybody?
Old Apr 7, 2022, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For IDB you are entitled to cash compensation. Do they generally offer vouchers of higher value in lieu of cash? I've never been IDBed.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
For IDB you are entitled to cash compensation. Do they generally offer vouchers of higher value in lieu of cash? I've never been IDBed.
The particular case was unusual. I was leaving a major bridge tournament, as were four friends of mine going to a different destination, we were all flying intially RNO-PHX. The plane broke and they flew another up from PHX but it wasn't as big as the original one so they needed 20 seats. The IDB rules say that no compensation is owed if they switch to a smaller plane for safety or operational reasons, so technically they probably owed no compensation and anything they did can be viewed as a goodwill gesture.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 4:41 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by redtop43
Does anyone know the rules on transferring VDB or IDB vouchers to someone else? Are the rules different for the two kinds?
Depends on what kind of voucher you get. V = Voluntary. Could be more or less than I (Involuntary). IDB is fixed by law; VBD is whatever you negotiate with the carrier.

I've never had an IDB. All my VDB's have been fully transferable. Your results may be different. Ask the airline.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Allan38103
Depends on what kind of voucher you get. V = Voluntary. Could be more or less than I (Involuntary). IDB is fixed by law; VBD is whatever you negotiate with the carrier.

I've never had an IDB. All my VDB's have been fully transferable. Your results may be different. Ask the airline.
From the description this wasn't really IDB compensation (by the technical definition) That would be cash. It's probably the same as whatever they give for VDB.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

My friends were told that their vouchers were transferrable but only if the transferror and transferee went together in person. I wasn't sure where they would go in person since you usually have to book these tickets online. My voucher shows as a "Trip Credit" in my AA Wallet, and I think these are fully transferrable. My friends are all pretty old and don't travel much, so I question if they'll be able to use them at all, and I'm trying to find a way for them to get some value from them.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by redtop43
My friends were told that their vouchers were transferrable but only if the transferror and transferee went together in person. I wasn't sure where they would go in person since you usually have to book these tickets online. My voucher shows as a "Trip Credit" in my AA Wallet, and I think these are fully transferrable. My friends are all pretty old and don't travel much, so I question if they'll be able to use them at all, and I'm trying to find a way for them to get some value from them.
Could call in, with "them" on the phone, if using the numbers online doesn't work

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.