Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The AA (Legacy US Airways) Airbus Industrie A330-200

AA announced retirement of the A330-200 in the Oct 2020 earnings report.

Status of reconfiguration
N279AY - NEW
N280AY - NEW
N281AY - NEW
N282AY - NEW
N283AY - NEW
N284AY - NEW
N285AY - NEW
N286AY - NEW
N287AY - NEW
N288AY - NEW
N289AY - NEW
N290AY - NEW
N291AY - NEW
N292AY - NEW
N293AY - NEW
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

NOTE: The 15 A330-200 (with Rolls Royce Trent 700 engines) are being retained and updated. (The nine Pratt & Whitney equipped A330-300s have been scheduled for retirement (return to lessor at lease end) by late 2018 due to poor "fit" in the AA fleet (link).) The A330-200s will continue, however, and the launch of the retrofitted A330-200 will see
  • 20 Zodiac "Envoy" type Business seats in a 1-2-1 layout (1 blocked for pilot rest)
  • 21 Premium Economy (B/E Aerospace) seats in a 2-3-2 layout
  • 50 Main Cabin Extra seats (same seats as Y, just greater seat pitch) 2-4-2 (2 blocked for customers requiring customer assistance)
  • Main Cabin / Economy seats also 2-4-2
  • Ku band satellite based Panasonic WiFi
  • Individual personal entertainment screens for every seat
  • Seat power
  • Noise reduction headsets - Bose in Business, others for Premium Economy

Premium Economy and extended Main Cabin Extra has been installed on the A330-200 fleet. Until 15 Jan 2018, PE seats were available to Elites as MCE on those aircraft with PE; PE are available for sale on that date.

Link to A330-200 PE and MCE additions article on The Points Guy

Link to Combined AA Fleet page

Link to (non-AA) American Fleet Site, A330-200 page.

For the specific thread about the Zodiac "Envoy" Business seat, please see AA A330 "Envoy" Lie Flat All Aisle Access Business Seats (master thread)

Also see the older, archived thread on Envoy seating on the A330: A330-200 Envoy Suites

Link to Seatguru for AA A330-200

Envoy / Business (20):
* Rows 1 to 7, 4 across, private "suites", all aisle access
* Seats A and H have windows and angle out toward windows
* Seats C and F are both in the middle, angle in toward center (no windows)
* In seat entertainment with personally selectable programming
* Bose noise reduction headsets on long-haul International flights
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA and USB power

Premium Economy (21):
* Rows 6, 7 and 8 in 2-3-2 layout
* Seat pitch 38"
* Seat width 18.5"
* Non-Bose noise reduction headsets on longhaul
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA and USB power

Main Cabin Extra (54):
* Bulkhead and Exit seats
* Others seem to be in non-standard layout
* Seat width 16.3-17.8"
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA

Economy (152):
* Seat pitch 31-32"
* Seat width 16.3-17.8"
* Exits at row 23
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA

New Livery (AA-style) of the A330-300: A333 in New Livery

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Airbus A330-200 / 332 [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles
Angry Refurbed A332 has no power in coach

I couldn't find a specific mention of when N287AY was done, but according to the A332 master thread, all of AA's A332s have been refurbished. Also according to that thread, all four cabins have "Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA". Seat Guru (FWIW) agrees.

3 hours into a 6 hour flight, however, I got down to 9% on my battery, leaned down to plug in my laptop, and discovered... a low-power USB outlet. Confirmed with the crew that there is now AC power in MC or MCE.

Perhaps more importantly, why the heck would an airline, in 2019, equip a plane with transatlantic wifi and not put power in the seats so I have an incentive to pay for it?!?!?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If seatguru was a speak your weight machine, I would still want a separate set of scales

It is not close to being a reliable site anymore

USB power is quite popular these days and serves needs for a lot of people - just not great for those wanting to power laptops

A lot of people will use mobile phones for internet use these days and they are the ones that might well pay for internet use ( if it is of reliable quality and performance )
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
AC power is a pretty reasonable expectation for long-haul services of the type the A330s typically run for AA. Six-seven hours on a fully-charged tablet isn't commonly a problem but not too many laptops can do that duration.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:02 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
The A332s werent refurbed. They received some rows of MCE and Premium Economy, along with new carpets, bulkheads, and seat covers in both Y and J. No new seats were installed.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
A330-200 Bulkhead (row 6) or behind (row 7)?

Flying back on a couple of occasions TATL, i.e., from Europe (so not overnight)... Two of us... I have flown myself on aisle in 7C and 8C and found them pretty comfortable... I'm somewhat taller than average and like to be able to stretch legs, thus don't enjoy bulkheads. How much stretch is there in 6 (right-side, i.e., 6GH) as opposed to, say, 7GH? Again, this is not the overnight flight, so we don't need to feign a real sleep....

Thanks in advance.
Mordac likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Flying back on a couple of occasions TATL, i.e., from Europe (so not overnight)... Two of us... I have flown myself on aisle in 7C and 8C and found them pretty comfortable... I'm somewhat taller than average and like to be able to stretch legs, thus don't enjoy bulkheads. How much stretch is there in 6 (right-side, i.e., 6GH) as opposed to, say, 7GH? Again, this is not the overnight flight, so we don't need to feign a real sleep....

Thanks in advance.
I'm 6' and when we flew 6GH from MAD-PHL on a 330-200 last October I had no problems with the legroom. As I recall, the bulkhead seat has more of a leg-rest than the non-bulkhead seats which have more of a foot-rest. AVOD swings out of seat rather than seatback for non-bulkhead seats.
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I've only flown PE on this bird once, in 6G, but I did take a careful look around. I think the legroom is greater and the legrest is definitely superior to the footrests in rows 7-8.
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: USAir, United, American, Delta, Continental, British Airways
DUB-CLT on A332: Bulkhead MCE vs. PE?

Im flying in September from Dublin to Charlotte nonstop on AA725. I have seats 9G and 9H, which are bulkhead MCE seats. Do you think it is worth upgrading to Premium Economy seats, assuming they are A and B or G and H? I think the upgrade would cost about $200 total, assuming AA allows me to do it. Thanks for your help with this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Interesting call... I think the good news is that, for a comparatively short TATL daytime flight like you are taking, you are in good shape either way. Both will be comfortable seats. I was very impressed with row 9, to the point where I would prefer it over numerous seats in PE.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:29 am

Thumbs up

Agree entirely with Biggie Fries.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:22 am

We sat in 9G/H PHL-CDG-PHL and they were excellent seats. More leg room than most of PE. Under seat storage. Since it's MCE, you get free drinks thorough out the flight (not just meal times). If you go to the galley for a non-meal service alcohol beverage, just tell them your seat number and that it's MCE. Unless you want the slightly better food, I'd save the money for your trip.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: USAir, United, American, Delta, Continental, British Airways
Thanks.

Thanks, dbennett, that is very helpful. Ill stick with MCE.

Last edited by DWMPA; Jan 21, 2019 at 4:51 pm Reason: Correction
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by dbennett37
We sat in 9G/H PHL-CDG-PHL and they were excellent seats. More leg room than most of PE. Under seat storage. Since it's MCE, you get free drinks thorough out the flight (not just meal times). If you go to the galley for a non-meal service alcohol beverage, just tell them your seat number and that it's MCE. Unless you want the slightly better food, I'd save the money for your trip.
To be fair, I've been able to get free drinks in regular Economy throughout the flight, not just at meal times, so I don't think that's an MCE perk. The extra legroom is nice of course.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by bridge29
To be fair, I've been able to get free drinks in regular Economy throughout the flight, not just at meal times, so I don't think that's an MCE perk. The extra legroom is nice of course.
On international flights only beer and wine are supposed to be included so if you would like liquor, they might charge if you are not seated in MCE. I say this because I was specifically asked about our seats when I got drinks from the galley and they did input into the handheld machine when they gave me the drinks. On the way back, during meal service they inputted our drinks into the handheld unit so I'm not sure they would give free liquor in regular coach.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:54 pm

I just flew FRA-CLT on A330 2 days ago. If you have Row 9 bulkhead it has more legroom than PE. (Row 22 is not nearly as good as i flew this on the outbound CLT_FRA) Also as other said underseat storage. Only downside is screens are in the seat armrest. PE looked nice but pretty much only more maybe a better meal? The food option in main cabin was the sesame chicken or pasta (some type of noodle) and a weird hot pocket type thing on arrival.

If i couldn't get row 9 I would go for PE.

Originally Posted by DWMPA
Im flying in September from Dublin to Charlotte nonstop on AA725. I have seats 9G and 9H, which are bulkhead MCE seats. Do you think it is worth upgrading to Premium Economy seats, assuming they are A and B or G and H? I think the upgrade would cost about $200 total, assuming AA allows me to do it. Thanks for your help with this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.