Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
US Airways / Barclays $99.00 Companion Certificates

As indicated in post #1254 & 1255, the last date to book has been EXTENDED
to October 12, use by 31 Dec 2015, on AA.

US Airways Companion Certificate

Purchase a roundtrip ticket of $250 (before any taxes) or more with your US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard and have up to two companions fly with you for $99 each (plus tax on the amount of the equivalent full-fare ticket).

The price of the full-fare ticket is determined by the lowest "bucket" for which two Y seats are available if you have one companion and for which three Y seats are available if you have two companions.

Systemwide blackout dates (2015):
Jan 3, 4, Feb 13, Mar 15, 20, 22, 26, 27, 29, Apr 2, 3, 6, 12, May 21, 22, Jun 25, 26, Jul 5, 6, Oct 18, Nov 20, 29, 30, Dec 18, 19, 26, 27

Additional Blackout Dates for specific cities (2015):
- Jan 15 from Dallas
- Jan 29, 30 to Phoenix
- Feb 2, 3 from Phoenix
- Feb 13 to New Orleans
- Feb 18 from New Orleans
- Apr 7 from Indianapolis
- Apr 30, May 1 to Louisville
- May 3 from Louisville

Routing:
Certificate valid for use when travel originates in the contiguous 48 United States for service to the contiguous 48 states or Canada.
Not valid for travel to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Caribbean, Mexico, Central/South America, or Europe. Not valid on stopovers, open jaws, open returns, or circle trips.

Valid Carrier
Valid on flights operated by US Airways and US Airways Express. Not valid on codeshare flights operated by partner airlines such as United.
Valid for travel on American flights with a departure date after October 18, 2015.

Dividend Miles Accrual and Upgrades
Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual, accrual in other airline programs not permitted. Dividend Miles Preferred upgrades are permitted subject to the rules of the upgrade being used. All Dividend Miles Terms and Conditions apply.

Additional guidelines for booking
1) You must call US Airways reservations; you cannot book this type of ticket on line.
2) The certificate must be used by YOU, you cannot have someone else and two companions use it.
3) You must book you and any companions at the same time as you on the same routing and PNR as you. One companion cannot break off and go a different direction for one segment.
4) You must use your US Airways Mastercard to make the purchase.
5) You must mail in the certificate after you make the purchase. The address is printed on the certificate (US Airways office in Winston-Salem, NC). (They insist that you retain proof of mailing within 24 hours of booking)
6) There should NOT be a telephone booking fee for this as you can't book this type of fare any other way.
7) It should be possible to split the PNR after booking (this may be beneficial for those hoping for an upgrade as a preferred member, or if the card holder can no longer travel on the days originally booked) YMMV.
8) Any changes to the tickets after booking are subject to the current change fees listed on the US Airways website.
9) Ticket must be booked at least 14 days in advance of travel. (Agents may try to tell you that it needs 15 days because the day of travel is not counted. Even supervisor will insist on it. Do not buy that. Hang up and redial. You need usual 14 days advance booking)
10) You can cancel within 24 hours of booking and you will retain the certificate if you have not mailed it. But they will not make any changes to reservations even within 24 hours due to the third sentance under the Change/Refunds section in the T&C.

Contact Phone Number for post October 18 travel: The American Airlines Meeting and Group Travel Desk is handling the post-October 18, 2015 US Companion Certificates travel reservations- 1-800-433-1790

Related thread:
Benefits of US Airways MasterCard®
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by ftomasze
Finally got to use my Companion cert. Will be mailing it out shortly. For those of you that have used it in the past is it best practice to send it certified with a return receipt? The agent on the phone made it a point to state that "US Airways is not liable for lost or stolen certs." He gave 48 hours for it to be postmarked by (not a big deal).

Is there a way to know that they have received and processed the cert?
I make a copy of the completed certificate (locator, flight cities), print out a first class label with tracking on PayPal http://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/web..._ship-now&info - less than $2. Worked fine on 2 prior occasions, just send a third earlier this week.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by diver858
I make a copy of the completed certificate (locator, flight cities), print out a first class label with tracking on PayPal http://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/web..._ship-now&info - less than $2. Worked fine on 2 prior occasions, just send a third earlier this week.
Gotcha

Last edited by ftomasze; Jan 3, 2015 at 12:06 pm
Old Jan 3, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I received a letter from Barclays about a month ago telling me that I would get one final companion cert in January. I did not save this letter. Today I got my notice of my annual fee to be charged on 31Jan but there is no mention of the final companion cert. I am now wondering whether there truly will be a final cert issued in January. Can anyone else (with a similar annual fee date) confirm that we will get one last cert? Thanks.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Cert says must book by 9/2015 and expires 12/2015. Once ticketing opens for next December, I'd like to book a trip with companion certificates that will be 12/20/2015-1/5/2016. Will that work? Or must travel complete by 12/31/2015?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: AA (US) gold, HH gold, Bonvoy gold
Travel must be completed by dates on certificate - so if it says 12/31/15 no flights after that date may be in your reservation.

I just called as I got the same letter as above. I was told all cards with anniversary dates before and including 4/1/15 will get a companion certificate, dated for use by the end of 9 months after the anniversary date and for travel by 12 months after the anniversary date.

Last edited by steves; Jan 4, 2015 at 8:44 am
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by steves
Travel must be completed by dates on certificate - so if it says 12/31/15 no flights after that date may be in your reservation.

I just called as I got the same letter as above. I was told all cards with anniversary dates before and including 4/1/15 will get a companion certificate, dated for use by the end of 9 months after the anniversary date and for travel by 12 months after the anniversary date.
Thank you for confirming this!
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I hope this info helps but I have to admit I didn't read older posts in this thread since much of it is out of date.

Just got off the phone with MC/BarclayCard. My anniversary date is June 2015. He told me I definitely will NOT have a companion cert at the anniversary. However, my wife has the same card and IS getting a companion cert at her Jan 2015 anniversary.

Also new (to me), he said a "new, higher-fee card is coming out" but wouldn't detail the benefits or price. Should be announced w/in a "couple months."

I'm going to discontinue my current card after I use the companion cert and then see what 2015 brings.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold SPG Gold HHonors Gold
I just signed up for a new card on 1/1 and they said I will get a CC in the next few weeks. Already received an email saying my CC was issued.

Great news if they will issue cards thru 4/1. I will get another CC with my other card
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by diver858
I ended up sending my companion cert via USPS, certified with a return receipt. I checked the tracking info today and it says "Undeliverable as addressed." I am assuming that I will be receiving the cert back later this week. I am positive that I wrote the correct address on both the front of the envelope and the certified mail post card.

Any input?

Edit: Spoke with a US airways reservations rep who told me "sending the certificate certified was not a part of the instructions and actually hindered you in getting the certificate to us, what probably happened was no one was available to sign for the mail." I see that USPS attempted to deliver the mail piece at 10:19am and find it hard to believe that no one was available. The rep stated that she would make a notation on the reservation.

I am concerned because the fare went up in excess of $200 since I booked it (Saturday).

Last edited by ftomasze; Jan 5, 2015 at 9:47 am
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:49 pm

FWIW, I always mail the cert snail mail with a regular stamp and nothing else. Never had an issue. I always keep a copy of the completed cert just in case.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by apeortdz
FWIW, I always mail the cert snail mail with a regular stamp and nothing else. Never had an issue. I always keep a copy of the completed cert just in case.
I have a scan of the front and back of the cert if, for some odd reason, it doesn't make it back to me. I plan on making scans of the envelope with the original postmark date and mailing the original back to them.

I'm a millennial, I get leery about anything that isn't done electronically...especially something pretty important like this, which is why I did what I did.

Who the hell mails things other than packages anyway? LOL.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by steves

i spoke with Barclay Bank today inquiring when my companion certificate would be sent for my card anniversary which is on January 16, 2015. i was told that there would be no more certificates as of 12/31/2014. i am confused by this since others posting in this forum indicate that they have been told that April 30, 2015 was the last date for issuance. i am also confused that the new card offers include (i believe) a companion certificate. thoughts?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by joanlisa
i spoke with Barclay Bank today inquiring when my companion certificate would be sent for my card anniversary which is on January 16, 2015. i was told that there would be no more certificates as of 12/31/2014. i am confused by this since others posting in this forum indicate that they have been told that April 30, 2015 was the last date for issuance. i am also confused that the new card offers include (i believe) a companion certificate. thoughts?
We need to get this figured out soon. If there is no new companion cert for 1Q2015 renewers, I will cancel my card. And I suspect many others will do so as well.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by apeortdz
We need to get this figured out soon. If there is no new companion cert for 1Q2015 renewers, I will cancel my card. And I suspect many others will do so as well.
I know it is only a few days into the new year...but has anyone gotten a 2015 certificate yet?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by aztimm
I was wondering if I'd get one last, "Anniversary Packet," and was pleasantly surprised to see this in today's mail ^

Says travel must be booked by 9/30, travel completed by 12/31. But it still says, "Valid on flights operated by US Airways and US Airways Express. Not valid on codeshare flights operated by partner airlines."

Thanks for those who received their cert earlier for updating the Wikipost at the top of this thread! ^
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I know it is only a few days into the new year...but has anyone gotten a 2015 certificate yet?
yes, please see my quoted post above. My anniversary is in January, and my packet came on 12/31.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.