Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
US Airways / Barclays $99.00 Companion Certificates

As indicated in post #1254 & 1255, the last date to book has been EXTENDED
to October 12, use by 31 Dec 2015, on AA.

US Airways Companion Certificate

Purchase a roundtrip ticket of $250 (before any taxes) or more with your US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard and have up to two companions fly with you for $99 each (plus tax on the amount of the equivalent full-fare ticket).

The price of the full-fare ticket is determined by the lowest "bucket" for which two Y seats are available if you have one companion and for which three Y seats are available if you have two companions.

Systemwide blackout dates (2015):
Jan 3, 4, Feb 13, Mar 15, 20, 22, 26, 27, 29, Apr 2, 3, 6, 12, May 21, 22, Jun 25, 26, Jul 5, 6, Oct 18, Nov 20, 29, 30, Dec 18, 19, 26, 27

Additional Blackout Dates for specific cities (2015):
- Jan 15 from Dallas
- Jan 29, 30 to Phoenix
- Feb 2, 3 from Phoenix
- Feb 13 to New Orleans
- Feb 18 from New Orleans
- Apr 7 from Indianapolis
- Apr 30, May 1 to Louisville
- May 3 from Louisville

Routing:
Certificate valid for use when travel originates in the contiguous 48 United States for service to the contiguous 48 states or Canada.
Not valid for travel to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Caribbean, Mexico, Central/South America, or Europe. Not valid on stopovers, open jaws, open returns, or circle trips.

Valid Carrier
Valid on flights operated by US Airways and US Airways Express. Not valid on codeshare flights operated by partner airlines such as United.
Valid for travel on American flights with a departure date after October 18, 2015.

Dividend Miles Accrual and Upgrades
Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual, accrual in other airline programs not permitted. Dividend Miles Preferred upgrades are permitted subject to the rules of the upgrade being used. All Dividend Miles Terms and Conditions apply.

Additional guidelines for booking
1) You must call US Airways reservations; you cannot book this type of ticket on line.
2) The certificate must be used by YOU, you cannot have someone else and two companions use it.
3) You must book you and any companions at the same time as you on the same routing and PNR as you. One companion cannot break off and go a different direction for one segment.
4) You must use your US Airways Mastercard to make the purchase.
5) You must mail in the certificate after you make the purchase. The address is printed on the certificate (US Airways office in Winston-Salem, NC). (They insist that you retain proof of mailing within 24 hours of booking)
6) There should NOT be a telephone booking fee for this as you can't book this type of fare any other way.
7) It should be possible to split the PNR after booking (this may be beneficial for those hoping for an upgrade as a preferred member, or if the card holder can no longer travel on the days originally booked) YMMV.
8) Any changes to the tickets after booking are subject to the current change fees listed on the US Airways website.
9) Ticket must be booked at least 14 days in advance of travel. (Agents may try to tell you that it needs 15 days because the day of travel is not counted. Even supervisor will insist on it. Do not buy that. Hang up and redial. You need usual 14 days advance booking)
10) You can cancel within 24 hours of booking and you will retain the certificate if you have not mailed it. But they will not make any changes to reservations even within 24 hours due to the third sentance under the Change/Refunds section in the T&C.

Contact Phone Number for post October 18 travel: The American Airlines Meeting and Group Travel Desk is handling the post-October 18, 2015 US Companion Certificates travel reservations- 1-800-433-1790

Related thread:
Benefits of US Airways MasterCard®
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Anyone know if we can use these on multi city tix. For ex BNA-CLT. CLT-MIA MIA-BNA. With a few days at each destination?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 3:47 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Anyone know if we can use these on multi city tix. [...] With a few days at each destination?
Not allowed. From the "routing" section of the T&C (and the wiki): "Not valid on stopovers, open jaws, open returns or circle trips."
Old Jan 11, 2015, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Thats what it sounds like to me. But I'm hoping thats not true. I'm hoping someone with better insight can chime in and say there will be no more US Airways metal after April so you can use the companion pass on AA metal.
Certainly the merger page indicates that separate US operations will continue after the FF programs are combined. There's also the statement on two separate airlines for "much of 2015" giving more wiggle room.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:16 pm

Going to call US airways tonight, but just incase someone here knows- I got my companion certificate last august and my husband and I want to travel to phoenix in march. The only issue is I got married last year and I'm in the middle of changing my last name to my husband's. My companion certificate is in my maiden name- wondering if I can still book that phoenix flight for march using that certificate and my new name?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by teaqueen
Going to call US airways tonight, but just incase someone here knows- I got my companion certificate last august and my husband and I want to travel to phoenix in march. The only issue is I got married last year and I'm in the middle of changing my last name to my husband's. My companion certificate is in my maiden name- wondering if I can still book that phoenix flight for march using that certificate and my new name?
As long as your FF# is still the same, I would just call in to book it, explain to the agent and offer to enclose a copy of the marriage certificate if there is any question about it.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by teaqueen
...My companion certificate is in my maiden name- wondering if I can still book that phoenix flight for march using that certificate and my new name?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, teaqueen ^

US is more interested in the SHARES reference code on your companion certificate, so I believe you won't have a problem.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA (US) gold, HH gold, Bonvoy gold
Originally Posted by steves
I feel I have to respond as it was my post that stated 4/30/2015. The rep I spoke to was very clear on this, there was no ambiguity at all - he looked it up and read what sounded like script confirming the 4/30/2015 date, that all renewals prior to that date would get companion certificates. I make no guarantees - I am reporting what I was told.
Third response from me on this issue....

Due to the questions on this board I wrote Barclay's customer service and asked if I would get my certificate on my Jan 31 anniversary date. I had a response within 1 day stating that they have stopped the companion certificate program. I then called to cancel my card, told them it was because of the CC program ending, and was once again reassured the program was good until 4/30/15.

I asked them to look at the response I received in my account communications explaining that I would not get the certificate and asked for verification in writing that the certificate would be issued. This was not forthcoming in a timely manner - so I just cancelled while I had them on the phone.

There is a lack of understanding internally at Barclay Bank about what this program is in transition. With the annual fee of $79.. plus the usual charge of about $140 to use the $99 companion fare plus tax for 1 person as I usually use it - this means I am carrying an extra card ,with few benefits as a preferred member, to buy a ticket for about $318 when I add the credit card fee, $99, and taxes.

I am sorry if I caused anyone confusion with the 4/30/15 date - it seems the Barclay people are just as confused.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
So I am confused as hell.

I have two Barclays cards - both of which are the world premier card (the 10k PQM cards) with the companion cert benefit.

If I understand correctly, both of these benefits went away on 12/31.

Am I understanding correctly that there is essentially a new Barclays US Airways card out there that - once again - has a $99.00 companion certificate as part of the benefits package?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:22 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by steves
Third response from me on this issue....

Due to the questions on this board I wrote Barclay's customer service and asked if I would get my certificate on my Jan 31 anniversary date. I had a response within 1 day stating that they have stopped the companion certificate program. I then called to cancel my card, told them it was because of the CC program ending, and was once again reassured the program was good until 4/30/15.

I asked them to look at the response I received in my account communications explaining that I would not get the certificate and asked for verification in writing that the certificate would be issued. This was not forthcoming in a timely manner - so I just cancelled while I had them on the phone.

There is a lack of understanding internally at Barclay Bank about what this program is in transition. With the annual fee of $79.. plus the usual charge of about $140 to use the $99 companion fare plus tax for 1 person as I usually use it - this means I am carrying an extra card ,with few benefits as a preferred member, to buy a ticket for about $318 when I add the credit card fee, $99, and taxes.

I am sorry if I caused anyone confusion with the 4/30/15 date - it seems the Barclay people are just as confused.
Thank you for this post. I am in the same boat as you albeit with a renewal date of 30Jan. I have been wondering what to do and I guess it is time to cancel the card if there won't be a companion cert this year.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by apeortdz
Thank you for this post. I am in the same boat as you albeit with a renewal date of 30Jan. I have been wondering what to do and I guess it is time to cancel the card if there won't be a companion cert this year.
Did you receive the letter, "Annual Fee Notice," or has the annual fee posted to your account?

I received my packet around the same time that the fee posted to my account, and I'd assume the same would be true for others.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
Did you receive the letter, "Annual Fee Notice," or has the annual fee posted to your account?

I received my packet around the same time that the fee posted to my account, and I'd assume the same would be true for others.
aztimm, did your annual fee hit in January?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
A data point and a question:

I applied for, and received approval for my latest card (not referral link) mid December 2014, activated it about 10 days ago (~Jan 4), and just received my welcome package earlier this week. It contained the companion cert.

I wonder if my previous companion cert is still usable? I.e. do they track the cert number, or perhaps limit each USAirways account to 1 cert usage per year? Also, I wonder if my lounge passes would work, even though I cancelled the previous card. My current credit card is of course, active.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

aztimm, did your annual fee hit in January?
the fee posted in late December, but I received the, "Annual Fee Notice," letter much earlier, it is dated 11/25.

Have you received the, "Annual Fee Notice," yet?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:21 pm

Yes I received the annual fee notice a couple of weeks ago and there was no mention of a final companion certificate.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:44 pm

Yes I received the annual fee notice a couple of weeks ago and there was no mention of a final companion certificate.
There was no mention on mine either--I have the letter in front of me. It was a pleasant surprise to receive the anniversary packet, which included a companion certificate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.