Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Is it really bait and switch if you didn't read the terms and conditions? They're clearly spelled out.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by scubadiver
"Up to" 20,000 AADvantage miles to open a Citi checking account. Oh boy! Finally my enviable credit rating wins me a targeted offer? No such luck.

I should know by now that "up to..." means "In Your Dreams."

What you really get is 5,000 miles. Reading the mouse-print, to qualify for 20,000 you have to open a Citi Gold Super-Duper with Chocolate Sprinkles account, deposit $100,000 and perform an unnatural act with a farmyard animal.

This isn't really a question for Flyer Talk. I'm just venting.
Other possible disappointment to look forward to:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rs-merged.html
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I got a targeted offer from my local Mercedes dealer in the mail the other day. I can get a brand new Mercedes just by going to the dealership. Then, I read the T&Cs, and it says I've got to pay "up to" $185,000 for one.

Rip off artists. . .
Old Jul 5, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by scubadiver
"Up to" 20,000 AADvantage miles to open a Citi checking account. Oh boy! Finally my enviable credit rating wins me a targeted offer? No such luck.

I should know by now that "up to..." means "In Your Dreams."

What you really get is 5,000 miles. Reading the mouse-print, to qualify for 20,000 you have to open a Citi Gold Super-Duper with Chocolate Sprinkles account, deposit $100,000 and perform an unnatural act with a farmyard animal.

This isn't really a question for Flyer Talk. I'm just venting.
Checking accounts have nothing to do with your credit.

CitiGold is $50K, not $100K

And never get a mileage promo from a checking account. 1099 central.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:39 pm

30,000 Offer

The offer code is CYKE. Phone number is 1-866-422-3062.

No mention of a 1099 on the offer.

No requirement to maintain any minimum balance in any accounts. The only requirements for the 30,000 miles is a $750 spend from the debit card and 1 or more direct deposits for two consecutive calendar months.

If there is no 1099 involved this is an interesting offer.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flightmedic
The offer code is CYKE. Phone number is 1-866-422-3062.

No mention of a 1099 on the offer.

No requirement to maintain any minimum balance in any accounts. The only requirements for the 30,000 miles is a $750 spend from the debit card and 1 or more direct deposits for two consecutive calendar months.

If there is no 1099 involved this is an interesting offer.
It is in BOLD print on the back of my 30K offer from mail. It points out if your total bonuses from all Citi bank's promotions exceeds $600, you will get a 1099.

Dont be fooled about not mentioning about min balance - they are considered as T&Cs of the Bank Account itself, not part of the promo. If you dont maintain min balance you will be dinged by monthly fee though supposedly the first 2 months fees are waived.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage - Platinum
30,000 AAdvantage miles

Also just got this in the mail and do not see anything on 1099-INT. A couple of months back, I received a similar mailer but the 1099 was quite prominent on that one which I quickly trashed. I wonder if Citibank has changed their policy with regards to issuing 1099s on these?

When you applied for your new Citibank checking account, you provided the special offer code XXXX to receive up to 30,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles after opening a checking account in The Citigold® Account Package, 15,000 AAdvantage® miles after opening a checking account in The Citibank® Account Package or 5,000 AAdvantage® miles after opening a checking account in The Basic Banking Package by 07/31/12. Below are the terms and conditions that you must meet in order to obtain the benefits of this offer. The AAdvantage® bonus miles will be posted by Citibank to your American Airlines AAdvantage® account within 90 days from the end of the statement period in this offer.

Terms and Conditions:

This offer is available to Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card members who receive this communication. One offer per customer and account only. All accounts subject to approval and applicable terms and fees. Existing checking customers are not eligible for this offer. Offer may be modified or withdrawn at any time without notice, expires 7/31/12, is not transferable and cannot be combined with any other offer. Persons under 18 years of age are not eligible.

Qualifying debit card purchases are those made using the card to buy goods and services and are net of returns and other adjustments. ATM withdrawals, cash back and bill payments do not qualify as Citibank Debit Card purchases. Net qualifying purchases are determined at Citibank's sole discretion and must post to the new account within 60 days of account opening. Bonus miles are earned on a per account basis and based upon all debit card purchases by all customers when the new checking account is the primary account linked to a debit card.

At the time the AAdvantage® bonus miles are to be posted to your AAdvantage® account, your Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card account and the checking account you opened in an eligible package (Citigold® Account, Citibank® Account, or Basic Banking) must all be open and in good standing.

Terms, conditions and fees for accounts, products, programs and services are subject to change.

AAdvantage, AAdvantage with Scissor Eagle design and Million Miler are trademarks of American Airlines, Inc.

©2012 Citibank. Citibank, N.A. Member FDIC. Citi, Citibank, Citigold and Citi with Arc Design are registered service marks of Citigroup Inc. Citi Mobile is a service mark of Citigroup Inc.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:48 pm

30,000 Offer

Double checked and the 1099 statement is not on the offer.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flightmedic
Double checked and the 1099 statement is not on the offer.
That is an interesting development!

Can we trust Citi?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 9:01 am

Trust but Verify

I called the number on the offer and asked if a 1099 would be generated. I was told it would be. When I asked why a prior offer of 23,500 had the 1099 statement on the offer and this newest one did not the rep investigated. After a couple of minutes on hold he came back on the line and verified that I would receive the 1099 form
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:25 am

Anyone knows how soon the AAdvantage points will be posted once the $750 spending and 2 DD are met?
Rep said the monthly fee will be waived for first 2 months for CitiGold account, anyone can argue for a longer waiving time? Someone mentioned 3-4 months or even 6 months, can someone share the reasons why they can enjoy longer waiving time?
Thanks!
Old Jul 6, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Decent offer but for the 30K mile Citigold account you need 50 large as minimum monthly balance to avoid $30 monthly fee. That kills that option for me.

Next level is a $15K minimum balance or $20 fee...no dice for me either

So for 5k miles you need one direct deposit and $125 in debit card purchases to get miles and then to avoid montly fee you need either $1500 balance or $125 in charges and a DD ....seems like a 'semi easy" way to get 5k AA miles....

but not worth it for me
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by sunnyface2011
Anyone knows how soon the AAdvantage points will be posted once the $750 spending and 2 DD are met?
Rep said the monthly fee will be waived for first 2 months for CitiGold account, anyone can argue for a longer waiving time? Someone mentioned 3-4 months or even 6 months, can someone share the reasons why they can enjoy longer waiving time?
Thanks!
As per the terms, the requirements take 2 months to complete and after that, the miles can take up to 90 days to post. Realistically, it takes 5-6 months after you open the account to get the miles and you cannot rush Citi to post them faster. They will tell you that you need to wait 90 days after you complete the requirements before they can do anything.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:20 pm

I also got 30000 AA miles mailer, but not going to use bcz of 1099INT
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Hard pull?

I have seen conflicting information on whether citi does a hard or soft pull when opening a citibank checking acct. for this offer. Can anyone confirm whether it is soft or hard and what bureau is likely hit?
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.