Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Awards: AAdvantage Reward Bookings for Cars & Hotels (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Awards: AAdvantage Reward Bookings for Cars & Hotels (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Smile

Originally Posted by zpaul
Never mind...a little time on the AA site and I found that elites have preferential rates - I just thought that they would show up in the search, not as a surprise at time of booking. Strange that they don't show the "real" rate upfront, which could make a difference in the selection process... There also doesn't seem to be information on what the "elite discount" is - does it change from property to property?

Hi everyone, I've just used my miles for a hotel award for the first time, and I had a nice surprise when I confirmed the award reservation which I don't quite understand. The hotel was listed at 62,500 miles per night for my room typr, but when I checked out the value dropped to 41,100 miles. Believe me, I'm not complaining! But I would like to understand what happened, and if this is something that can be predicted if I do this again in the future. Thanks!
I thought the better rates did show up during the search, if you had logged in prior to searching. Did you maybe not log in until you were about to purchase?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by meecal
I thought the better rates did show up during the search, if you had logged in prior to searching. Did you maybe not log in until you were about to purchase?
I thought I was, but since the hotel search is a different site from aa.com, maybe it didn't carry over.

Come to think of it, I did have to "register," so I guess that's it. Either way, it made for a nice surprise since I was willing to pay the higher rate!
Old Dec 31, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold; HH <>; IHG Plat; Hertz Gold.
Newbie here: rather than starting a new thread, I searched and found this thread. Not sure if my message will fit here or not - feel free to delete or move it OP!

Couple of months ago I booked a car rental at Cancun airport for '16 spring break in March. Today after reading some post online regarding their unpleasant experience (rental company being picky at return time), I decided to cancel. After calling the 8003493244 number (online no "cancel" button available), I was told by the CSR that I have to pay $150 by credit card to cancel it. If the travel dates are between Dec 17 to Jan 3, there is no way to cancel it either.

I guess many people might have known this already. But for me this is a surprise. It looks to me that they not only devalue the points, but also want to make some fresh money from us if you cancel the reservation -- or buy the miles, transfer miles etc.

The rules are written by them. It seems that I cannot do anything but posting here to spread the message if you do not know this already...

Happy New Year!
Old May 6, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Smart idea to book hotel stay with AA miles? Will i get points for it?

I have about 300k AA miles right now. I was thinking about using some of a 3 night stay in Paris next year. Bad idea? Will i get hotel points for the booking?
Old May 6, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Membersince2013
I have about 300k AA miles right now. I was thinking about using some of a 3 night stay in Paris next year. Bad idea? Will i get hotel points for the booking?
Generally speaking using AA miles for stuff that isn't AA/OW flights isn't going to be great value, though I'm sure there are some exceptions. What kind of value would you be getting on your AA miles? If over 2 cents per mile then it's at least worth considering.

I do not believe you'll get points for the booking, but am not positive. I'm sure others on the board know for certain.
Old May 6, 2016, 9:32 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with the existing thread discussing using AA miles to book cars and hotels so that we can keep all the good discussion and knowledge-sharing in one place. Thanks. /Moderator
Old May 6, 2016, 10:51 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ericgdukie44
Generally speaking using AA miles for stuff that isn't AA/OW flights isn't going to be great value, though I'm sure there are some exceptions. What kind of value would you be getting on your AA miles? If over 2 cents per mile then it's at least worth considering.

I do not believe you'll get points for the booking, but am not positive. I'm sure others on the board know for certain.
You will not get the points unless a mistake occurs.

As to the value of using the miles for hotels- it is very individual. Since we don't use or miles for flights, that comparison is irrelevant for us. So, we either pay for hotels and let the miles sit, or use the miles for hotels and don't pay cash for them. As a result, it is a great value for us.

Cheers.
Old May 6, 2016, 11:57 am

I checked again. I mistook the 42k points as per stay instead of per night. Thats a horrible deal. 128k points for 3 nights, no way!
Old May 6, 2016, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Membersince2013
I checked again. I mistook the 42k points as per stay instead of per night. Thats a horrible deal. 128k points for 3 nights, no way!
Likely it is a bad deal if you have no AA status.

AA EXP (and possibly AA PLAT?) get preferential rates for redeeming miles for hotels, up to 50% off normal rates. But you have to be logged in when searching to see them. So if you can status match to AA for the time you are trying to redeem maybe you'll get a better rate.

Personally, I think you would have a much more enjoyable time in Paris at a highly rated boutique hotel than the ones you can get with AA miles. I recently searched for AA hotel redemptions in Paris and none looked particularly charming.
Old May 6, 2016, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Cheynewalk
Likely it is a bad deal if you have no AA status.

AA EXP (and possibly AA PLAT?) get preferential rates for redeeming miles for hotels, up to 50% off normal rates. But you have to be logged in when searching to see them. So if you can status match to AA for the time you are trying to redeem maybe you'll get a better rate.

Personally, I think you would have a much more enjoyable time in Paris at a highly rated boutique hotel than the ones you can get with AA miles. I recently searched for AA hotel redemptions in Paris and none looked particularly charming.
Well, i figured it was worth a try if it would cost me only 42k miles then i came to find out that it was 42K miles per night. Not gonna happen.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question A few new and old questions

Revisiting this old thread with some new and (since the program might have evolved) old questions:

1. I understand that the car rental costs are under-stated at the AA cars/hotels site, since the stated costs exclude taxes, fees, etc. Is there any way of easily determining these (such as a dummy booking at the actual car rental site)? We can't do a dummy booking via the AA site since there's a $150 fee for redepositing miles.
2. The language at the site (at the little question mark before finalizing a booking) indicates that resort, parking and other incidental fees may be added on to a hotel booking. Do I understand correctly, then, that taxes are not added on and are included in the stated price?
3. Any recent experiences with hotel chains such as Hilton, Marriott, etc. honoring status for their properties booked through the AA site? And if so, do you only find out once at the hotel, or is it possible to plug in the hotel membership number beforehand and find out whether the status is being honored?
4. Same questions as #3 , except for rental cars.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Apr 24, 2019 at 12:58 pm
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Revisiting this old thread with some new and (since the program might have evolved) old questions:

1. I understand that the car rental costs are under-stated at the AA cars/hotels site, since the stated costs exclude taxes, fees, etc. Is there any way of easily determining these (such as a dummy booking at the actual car rental site)? We can't do a dummy booking via the AA site since there's a $150 fee for redepositing miles.
2. The language at the site (at the little question mark before finalizing a booking) indicates that resort, parking and other incidental fees may be added on to a hotel booking. Do I understand correctly, then, that taxes are not added on and are included in the stated price?
3. Any recent experiences with hotel chains such as Hilton, Marriott, etc. honoring status for their properties booked through the AA site? And if so, do you only find out once at the hotel, or is it possible to plug in the hotel membership number beforehand and find out whether the status is being honored?
4. Same questions as #3 , except for rental cars.

Thanks for any help.
1. No good way to determine this but you still generally get excellent value for your points renting a car this way.
2. Taxes are almost always included. Exception was at several hotels in Italy where local city tax was not. Never had an issue in US or Mexico.
3. At last 3 Hilton stays gave my number at check-in and Gold status was honored (choice of free breakfast or points.)
4. Don't know about rental car status.
Old May 4, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Robl
1. No good way to determine this but you still generally get excellent value for your points renting a car this way.
2. Taxes are almost always included. Exception was at several hotels in Italy where local city tax was not. Never had an issue in US or Mexico.
3. At last 3 Hilton stays gave my number at check-in and Gold status was honored (choice of free breakfast or points.)
4. Don't know about rental car status.
A belated thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.