Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Awards: AAdvantage Reward Bookings for Cars & Hotels (consolidated)

Awards: AAdvantage Reward Bookings for Cars & Hotels (consolidated)

Old Dec 30, 10, 8:11 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Teaneck, NJ
Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Posts: 677
Awards: AAdvantage Reward Bookings for Cars & Hotels (consolidated)

So I'm not sure about anyone else, but as someone who never uses miles for First Class (We don't fly very often, maybe 1-2 times a year, so we'd rather have 2 or 3 free coach flights with our miles from credit cards then 1 International flight), I'm very much enjoying the exchange rate that AA Cars and Hotels is giving for bookings. I have Delta and United Miles as well, and AA has been giving me a 1 1/2 to 2 cent rate per mile for our San Diego trip (United has about 1 cent per mile, and Delta is just horrible). I know this isn't great to most people, but with all of the 75,000 and 100,000 mile credit card offers myself and my wife have signed up for, getting 5 star hotel nights for free in San Diego is really nice. Not sure if this rate will change for the worse in the future, but it was a big deal for us for our Jan trip.

https://www.useaamiles.com/carhotel/...andhotelawards
yoshapman is offline  
Old Dec 31, 10, 1:42 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: No. California
Programs: AA ExPlat 4mil miles, Hilton Gold
Posts: 269
I am glad about the possible use of miles for hotels and cars also

I fly just enough in most years to reach the 100K required for EXP. The only time I have a chance to use miles for airline tickets is for family or employees. So I have about 800K miles in my account.

Having the new option of using these miles for hotels or rental cars will be great for me. Already used it once at a reasonable value 1.5c/mi.
pedropescador is offline  
Old Dec 31, 10, 2:58 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: AA LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Posts: 30,549
Originally Posted by yoshapman View Post
as someone who never uses miles for First Class (We don't fly very often, maybe 1-2 times a year, so we'd rather have 2 or 3 free coach flights with our miles from credit cards then 1 International flight)
I would keep that to myself on this board.
vasantn is offline  
Old Jan 1, 11, 7:39 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SFO
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
Posts: 732
Originally Posted by yoshapman View Post
So I'm not sure about anyone else, but as someone who never uses miles for First Class (We don't fly very often, maybe 1-2 times a year, so we'd rather have 2 or 3 free coach flights with our miles from credit cards then 1 International flight), I'm very much enjoying the exchange rate that AA Cars and Hotels is giving for bookings. I have Delta and United Miles as well, and AA has been giving me a 1 1/2 to 2 cent rate per mile for our San Diego trip (United has about 1 cent per mile, and Delta is just horrible). I know this isn't great to most people, but with all of the 75,000 and 100,000 mile credit card offers myself and my wife have signed up for, getting 5 star hotel nights for free in San Diego is really nice. Not sure if this rate will change for the worse in the future, but it was a big deal for us for our Jan trip.

https://www.useaamiles.com/carhotel/...andhotelawards
FYI -- the award doesn't cover taxes, so that will be out of pocket...at least it was for my car rental award!
Hotel_junkie is offline  
Old Jan 1, 11, 10:30 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,464
To each their own.

I just checked, a 3 nighter at Mauna Kea, Big Island would cost me about the same miles for a CX F to HKG. I think I would keep the miles and pay the $1100 for the hotel.
Happy is offline  
Old Jan 1, 11, 11:06 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Posts: 1,275
redeeming miles

I have never redeeemed a single mile from my AAdvantage account. My wife predicts AA will go bankrupt at some time in the furture and that I will loose them all. To me the value is in my upgrades to F on almost all domestic flights and most all my international trips on AA metal makes flying bearable.
nonesuch flyer is offline  
Old Jan 1, 11, 11:32 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: No. California
Programs: AA ExPlat 4mil miles, Hilton Gold
Posts: 269
Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer View Post
I have never redeeemed a single mile from my AAdvantage account. My wife predicts AA will go bankrupt at some time in the furture and that I will loose them all. To me the value is in my upgrades to F on almost all domestic flights and most all my international trips on AA metal makes flying bearable.
When the other Airlines have gone BK, did the Frequent Flyer accounts of their customers get wiped out?
pedropescador is offline  
Old Jan 2, 11, 12:09 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Benicia CA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Posts: 31,762
Originally Posted by pedropescador View Post
When the other Airlines have gone BK, did the Frequent Flyer accounts of their customers get wiped out?
UA's did not, but that really was a guessing game back in 2002, and no one was in the wings offering to take them over if they did not come out of chapter 11. I had 800,000 miles with them back then and my account went down to zero within a few months as I was worried they would just dissipate. I flew in F to Australia and other relatives flew to Hawaii and Australia in those first few months after the bankruptcy filing. I really thought, at that time, that they would eventually stop flying and all my miles would disappear. Their unions were very vocal but did eventually take reductions in both salary and benefits.

In light of UA's bankruptcy filing, I would expect that if AA ever reaches that point I'd have a year or more to burn off miles. My bigger concern right now is labor strife at AA that might ground the airline in 2011.
tom911 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 11, 6:00 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Programs: AA Lifetime Plat.; DL Plat; Hilton Gold
Posts: 216
I love the $$ + miles options at AAVacations. Just booked a trip to Las Vegas, and buying the air ticket (which is upgradable using stickers or eVIPS) but using miles to pay for the hotel and helicopter tour to the Grand Canyon wound up being a pretty good value for us.
grumpymonkey is offline  
Old Jan 2, 11, 11:04 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Posts: 1,275
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
UA's did not, but that really was a guessing game back in 2002, and no one was in the wings offering to take them over if they did not come out of chapter 11. I had 800,000 miles with them back then and my account went down to zero within a few months as I was worried they would just dissipate. I flew in F to Australia and other relatives flew to Hawaii and Australia in those first few months after the bankruptcy filing. I really thought, at that time, that they would eventually stop flying and all my miles would disappear. Their unions were very vocal but did eventually take reductions in both salary and benefits.

In light of UA's bankruptcy filing, I would expect that if AA ever reaches that point I'd have a year or more to burn off miles. My bigger concern right now is labor strife at AA that might ground the airline in 2011.
Thanks for the insights.
nonesuch flyer is offline  
Old Jan 2, 11, 1:53 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MAD
Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Posts: 599
Could people please post some specific redemptions?
joesmoe is offline  
Old Jan 4, 11, 6:10 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Programs: AA Lifetime Plat.; DL Plat; Hilton Gold
Posts: 216
At AAVacations, we got a room in LAS at Treasure Island for four nights, as well as a half-day trip to the Grand Canyon, for a total of 127K miles.

Going to the hotel website, the hotel would have been about $570.

The Grand Canyon side trip (including helicopter, champagne lunch, rafting in the canyon, hotel pick up in limo) was about $450 per person, if I'd booked directly with the tour company.

Also, figuring into my calculus when I say that it was a 'value' for us is the fact that I rarely, if ever, use my miles for flights for myself. For an NYC-LAS trip, I'd rather buy my ticket, accrue the miles and get a smidge closer to EXP for 2012, but save $1400 on hotel and a day trip. So, for us, at least, it seemed worth it.
grumpymonkey is offline  
Old Jan 8, 11, 10:59 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: No. California
Programs: AA ExPlat 4mil miles, Hilton Gold
Posts: 269
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
UA's did not, but that really was a guessing game back in 2002, and no one was in the wings offering to take them over if they did not come out of chapter 11. I had 800,000 miles with them back then and my account went down to zero within a few months as I was worried they would just dissipate. I flew in F to Australia and other relatives flew to Hawaii and Australia in those first few months after the bankruptcy filing. I really thought, at that time, that they would eventually stop flying and all my miles would disappear. Their unions were very vocal but did eventually take reductions in both salary and benefits.

In light of UA's bankruptcy filing, I would expect that if AA ever reaches that point I'd have a year or more to burn off miles. My bigger concern right now is labor strife at AA that might ground the airline in 2011.
My friends in Brazil had miles with Varig when they went BK. Gol bought some or all of Varigs assets and was very generous with giving credit to the holders of Varig miles.
pedropescador is offline  
Old Jan 23, 11, 3:11 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ROC
Programs: Anything CC gives me
Posts: 1,118
For those who redeemed for Hotel Rewards, were there any additional fees or taxes for room itself after paying with miles?
booyaa is offline  
Old Jan 23, 11, 3:21 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 22,064
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by booyaa
For those who redeemed for Hotel Rewards, were there any additional fees or taxes for room itself after paying with miles?
I redeemed miles for a hotel stay on Aruba last month. There was no additional collection at the hotel.
guv1976 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: