Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Awards: AAdvantage Reward Bookings for Cars & Hotels (consolidated)

Old Dec 30, 10, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver

So I'm not sure about anyone else, but as someone who never uses miles for First Class (We don't fly very often, maybe 1-2 times a year, so we'd rather have 2 or 3 free coach flights with our miles from credit cards then 1 International flight), I'm very much enjoying the exchange rate that AA Cars and Hotels is giving for bookings. I have Delta and United Miles as well, and AA has been giving me a 1 1/2 to 2 cent rate per mile for our San Diego trip (United has about 1 cent per mile, and Delta is just horrible). I know this isn't great to most people, but with all of the 75,000 and 100,000 mile credit card offers myself and my wife have signed up for, getting 5 star hotel nights for free in San Diego is really nice. Not sure if this rate will change for the worse in the future, but it was a big deal for us for our Jan trip.

https://www.useaamiles.com/carhotel/...andhotelawards
Old Dec 31, 10, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4mil miles, Hilton Gold
I am glad about the possible use of miles for hotels and cars also

I fly just enough in most years to reach the 100K required for EXP. The only time I have a chance to use miles for airline tickets is for family or employees. So I have about 800K miles in my account.

Having the new option of using these miles for hotels or rental cars will be great for me. Already used it once at a reasonable value 1.5c/mi.
Old Dec 31, 10, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by yoshapman View Post
as someone who never uses miles for First Class (We don't fly very often, maybe 1-2 times a year, so we'd rather have 2 or 3 free coach flights with our miles from credit cards then 1 International flight)
I would keep that to myself on this board.
Old Jan 1, 11, 7:39 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
Originally Posted by yoshapman View Post
So I'm not sure about anyone else, but as someone who never uses miles for First Class (We don't fly very often, maybe 1-2 times a year, so we'd rather have 2 or 3 free coach flights with our miles from credit cards then 1 International flight), I'm very much enjoying the exchange rate that AA Cars and Hotels is giving for bookings. I have Delta and United Miles as well, and AA has been giving me a 1 1/2 to 2 cent rate per mile for our San Diego trip (United has about 1 cent per mile, and Delta is just horrible). I know this isn't great to most people, but with all of the 75,000 and 100,000 mile credit card offers myself and my wife have signed up for, getting 5 star hotel nights for free in San Diego is really nice. Not sure if this rate will change for the worse in the future, but it was a big deal for us for our Jan trip.

https://www.useaamiles.com/carhotel/...andhotelawards
FYI -- the award doesn't cover taxes, so that will be out of pocket...at least it was for my car rental award!
Old Jan 1, 11, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To each their own.

I just checked, a 3 nighter at Mauna Kea, Big Island would cost me about the same miles for a CX F to HKG. I think I would keep the miles and pay the $1100 for the hotel.
Old Jan 1, 11, 11:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
redeeming miles

I have never redeeemed a single mile from my AAdvantage account. My wife predicts AA will go bankrupt at some time in the furture and that I will loose them all. To me the value is in my upgrades to F on almost all domestic flights and most all my international trips on AA metal makes flying bearable.
Old Jan 1, 11, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer View Post
I have never redeeemed a single mile from my AAdvantage account. My wife predicts AA will go bankrupt at some time in the furture and that I will loose them all. To me the value is in my upgrades to F on almost all domestic flights and most all my international trips on AA metal makes flying bearable.
When the other Airlines have gone BK, did the Frequent Flyer accounts of their customers get wiped out?
Old Jan 2, 11, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by pedropescador View Post
When the other Airlines have gone BK, did the Frequent Flyer accounts of their customers get wiped out?
UA's did not, but that really was a guessing game back in 2002, and no one was in the wings offering to take them over if they did not come out of chapter 11. I had 800,000 miles with them back then and my account went down to zero within a few months as I was worried they would just dissipate. I flew in F to Australia and other relatives flew to Hawaii and Australia in those first few months after the bankruptcy filing. I really thought, at that time, that they would eventually stop flying and all my miles would disappear. Their unions were very vocal but did eventually take reductions in both salary and benefits.

In light of UA's bankruptcy filing, I would expect that if AA ever reaches that point I'd have a year or more to burn off miles. My bigger concern right now is labor strife at AA that might ground the airline in 2011.
Old Jan 2, 11, 6:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat.; DL Plat; Hilton Gold
I love the $$ + miles options at AAVacations. Just booked a trip to Las Vegas, and buying the air ticket (which is upgradable using stickers or eVIPS) but using miles to pay for the hotel and helicopter tour to the Grand Canyon wound up being a pretty good value for us.
Old Jan 2, 11, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
UA's did not, but that really was a guessing game back in 2002, and no one was in the wings offering to take them over if they did not come out of chapter 11. I had 800,000 miles with them back then and my account went down to zero within a few months as I was worried they would just dissipate. I flew in F to Australia and other relatives flew to Hawaii and Australia in those first few months after the bankruptcy filing. I really thought, at that time, that they would eventually stop flying and all my miles would disappear. Their unions were very vocal but did eventually take reductions in both salary and benefits.

In light of UA's bankruptcy filing, I would expect that if AA ever reaches that point I'd have a year or more to burn off miles. My bigger concern right now is labor strife at AA that might ground the airline in 2011.
Thanks for the insights.
Old Jan 2, 11, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Could people please post some specific redemptions?
Old Jan 4, 11, 6:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat.; DL Plat; Hilton Gold
At AAVacations, we got a room in LAS at Treasure Island for four nights, as well as a half-day trip to the Grand Canyon, for a total of 127K miles.

Going to the hotel website, the hotel would have been about $570.

The Grand Canyon side trip (including helicopter, champagne lunch, rafting in the canyon, hotel pick up in limo) was about $450 per person, if I'd booked directly with the tour company.

Also, figuring into my calculus when I say that it was a 'value' for us is the fact that I rarely, if ever, use my miles for flights for myself. For an NYC-LAS trip, I'd rather buy my ticket, accrue the miles and get a smidge closer to EXP for 2012, but save $1400 on hotel and a day trip. So, for us, at least, it seemed worth it.
Old Jan 8, 11, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post

My friends in Brazil had miles with Varig when they went BK. Gol bought some or all of Varigs assets and was very generous with giving credit to the holders of Varig miles.
Old Jan 23, 11, 3:11 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
For those who redeemed for Hotel Rewards, were there any additional fees or taxes for room itself after paying with miles?
Old Jan 23, 11, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by booyaa
For those who redeemed for Hotel Rewards, were there any additional fees or taxes for room itself after paying with miles?
I redeemed miles for a hotel stay on Aruba last month. There was no additional collection at the hotel.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: