Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What's the stupidest, least substantive thing you can complain about?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Thread founder Blumie had the following dedicatory post to kick off the original thread in June of 2010 to guide us, so we will take our cues from that to continue this hallowed FT-AA|A tradition. (FT Rules still apply.)

Originally Posted by Blumie
What's FT if not a place to complain about the small stuff? After all, we've seen threads in which people have complained about virtually everything, from the ceiling height at JAX to the font, ink and paper used to print boarding passes. So I thought I'd start what I hope will become the one of the most valuable and important threads in the history of FT, one in which we consolidate all of our complaints about stuff that just doesn't matter and that validates AA's decision not to have an official presence on this board.

I'll go first: I find it really annoying the way the napkins are fanned before being put out at the Admirals Clubs. Is this supposed to make us feel like the place is uber-fancy? Why don't they just forget about the fanning and put out some real napkins instead of the flimsy cocktail napkins they use?
Older posts have been archived, and may be read here.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Ooh interesting. I wonder if AA's wonderful IT has this (incorrectly) coded the same as oneworld elite status or something? Not enough to make me want to fly B6 again but interesting indeed...
I've been lead to believe that B6 is the best domestic economy experience (though I haven't flown it yet). More legroom, free snacks, free wifi. Did you have a bad experience?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I've been lead to believe that B6 is the best domestic economy experience (though I haven't flown it yet). More legroom, free snacks, free wifi. Did you have a bad experience?
Oh, it's fine for a short hop, and I'll fly it PWM-JFK or something when the price and schedule are right. The wifi is much slower than AA's but not a big deal for a short hop. Row 1 on the E190 is actually quite comfortable, the seat width on those planes is enough for me not to miss first class.

It's bad when things go bad though, there's minimal ground support, the phone wait times can be 6-8 hours, and the twitter team can take a day or more to respond. I've bailed on a couple B6 flights as a result (just paying AA or DL instead, since rebooking was impracticable) and used the credits on other people's tickets, and I'm sort of over playing that game.

I also had a crappy experience on Mint where the seat wouldn't stay "inflated" so it was like sitting on a metal bench all the way to Vegas (this was on a $1200 one way BOS-LAS). They gave me a whopping $100 credit for the "inconvenience." The FAs on the plane were familiar with the issue, said it was happening moreso, and whenever I posted about it on FT, at least 1 or 2 others agreed (though of course some hadn't ever had it happen... neither had I, until it happened).
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Deceit in the snack basket

In the snack basket, I saw a bag of mixed nuts, and there was a dark blue bag next to it. It was the great corn snack that AA has had in the snack basket, so I took it as well.

But then I discovered that I had been tricked!

The blue bag wasn't the corn; it was salted mixed nuts. So I was deceived and denied my snack of choice, and instead I ended up with a bag of unsalted mixed nuts and a bag of salted mixed nuts.

AA keeps deceiving its customers!

I may switch to Delta or UA, since they wouldn't have 2 of basically the same thing in their snack baskets.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
In the snack basket, I saw a bag of mixed nuts, and there was a dark blue bag next to it. It was the great corn snack that AA has had in the snack basket, so I took it as well.

The blue bag wasn't the corn; it was salted mixed nuts. So I was deceived and denied my snack of choice, and instead I ended up with a bag of unsalted mixed nuts and a bag of salted mixed nuts.

I may switch to Delta or UA, since they wouldn't have 2 of basically the same thing in their snack baskets.
Bait and switch at it's worst.
BERGBRLY and Snuggs like this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:46 am
Suspended

False information about duration and departure of flight

I regularly fly from a small airport to a hub that's 90 miles away. Flight crews frequently announce, "the flight is only X minutes", particularly when we're late. False!

First, the flight time that is mentioned always seems to vary. Sometimes it's 19 minutes; sometimes it's 24 minutes. But in reality it's NEVER that short. Frequently air traffic control will send us circling around the destination airport for a while, but even if we go straight from one airport to the other, it's never been 19 minutes. And the total trip time is at least 45 minutes, and often more than an hour, due to waiting and taxiing.

Second, AA uses that as an excuse to avoid serving drinks to passengers. No pre-departure drink plus no drink in the air because "the flight's only 19 minutes"--when it turns into total time on the plane of an hour.

And yesterday, one flight that I was on, for a 100-mile segment, was delayed by about 50 minutes. After 15 minutes, the flight attendants kept telling us, "We're just about to leave, in just a few more moments". 35 minutes after they first said, "We're just about to leave", we left.

AA, please give us accurate information!

"The flight, from wheels up to wheels down, might be as short as 19 minutes but usually it's 25-30 minutes, and then we taxi for up to 15 minutes at our destination."

"I'd like to be leaving soon, but I don't have a definite time. But before we can leave, maintenance needs to do X and Y, and then it'll be about 5 minutes of paperwork, and then we can be ready to push back."

Accurate information would definitely help with stress in case of a delay and a tight connection because then planner-types like me could plan out how to deal with the situation. False information isn't helpful-- and it deprives me of a drink!
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake

LOL !!! Here is an idea.... read the label before picking it up
Old Jul 10, 2022, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jcf27
LOL !!! Here is an idea.... read the label before picking it up
First, your post may be in violation of Flyertalk rules, which require attributing all problems to the airline, and require denying all personal responsibility.

Second, after hundreds of flights with the delicious corn, it was swapped for something else...yet the bag looks almost exactly the same! Certainly that is intended deception.

Third, this may be age discrimination by AA. At my age, it's not easy to see things without reading glasses, and AA expects me to put them on in the brief moment when the snack basket is waved in front of me? Pure discrimination!
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:32 pm

First, your post may be in violation of Flyertalk rules, which require attributing all problems to the airline, and require denying all personal responsibility.

Second, after hundreds of flights with the delicious corn, it was swapped for something else...yet the bag looks almost exactly the same! Certainly that is intended deception.

Third, this may be age discrimination by AA. At my age, it's not easy to see things without reading glasses, and AA expects me to put them on in the brief moment when the snack basket is waved in front of me? Pure discrimination!
SUBSTANTIVE! Gets me every time.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
I Would Post In the DYKWIA Thead If I Could Find It

Young woman in the AAC, at the height of dinner rush, who ground the line to a halt because one tub of very average mass feeding food was empty. (Apparently it was the one magic ingredient that was absolutely necessary to complete her very average mass feeding culinary experience). She expected the world to wait behind her until, or if, the wonder tub in question was replenished and she was able to complete her very average mass feeding creation.

She of course was deservedly bypassed within a few seconds by the line of 20 people behind her. Not to be outdone by the universe explaining she was not at it's center, she quietly but audibly muttered "rude" to each and every person actually on a schedule less flexible than her 's as they passed her and made do with what was available.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 9:06 am
Suspended

Time to departure on app creates stress

On the AA app, it says that a flight that I am on departs in 2 days, 22 hours.

Showing the time to departure stresses me out, since now I have to spend time thinking about packing, the trip to the airport, etc.

Shame on AA for trying to stress me out.
BERGBRLY, Tack and robertablake like this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I dislike that the app timing is off by one minute. Example: for a boarding time of 10:00AM and a current time of 9:30AM, the app says that boarding begins in 29 minutes. Really bugs me!
njvandy likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by apeortdz
I dislike that the app timing is off by one minute. Example: for a boarding time of 10:00AM and a current time of 9:30AM, the app says that boarding begins in 29 minutes. Really bugs me!
what if it’s your clock that’s off?
Old Jul 13, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by jayer
Young woman in the AAC, at the height of dinner rush, who ground the line to a halt because one tub of very average mass feeding food was empty. (Apparently it was the one magic ingredient that was absolutely necessary to complete her very average mass feeding culinary experience). She expected the world to wait behind her until, or if, the wonder tub in question was replenished and she was able to complete her very average mass feeding creation.

She of course was deservedly bypassed within a few seconds by the line of 20 people behind her. Not to be outdone by the universe explaining she was not at it's center, she quietly but audibly muttered "rude" to each and every person actually on a schedule less flexible than her 's as they passed her and made do with what was available.
As someone who often believes that I belong at the center of said universe, I sympathize with this young woman, as the pleasure in the act of her protest about the lack of a tub of average mass feeding food is her birth right. You sir, know not the suffering we, the universe centers endure. Further, you and those who by-passed her in line have trampled on not only the young womans feelings, but on mine as well. I protest, and in doing so, make this my complaint.
njvandy likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Attitude

Have the LAX-JFK in f at 7am.

Asked for for dine on demand, and to please not cook the entree early. Response: I cook them at the same time, but I’ll reheat it for you.

asked again 10 minutes later if he could hold off cooking it because they get overcooked when reheated. “We’ll see but there are 8(!) other people here too!”
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by jayer
Was it the corn/bean blend or the pico de gallo?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.