Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Apple iPhone app - questions and issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA App for the Apple iPhone / iOS - Questions, Issues

The iPhone American Airlines app now (Sep 2014) requires iOS 8.0 to run properly. If you have an earlier iPhone you do not wish to update from iOS 7 or previous versions due to battery usage and reported slowness, the AA app now requires updating to iOS 8 to communicate and exchange data with AA.

The previous iPhone American Airlines App works with iOS 7.0 and was originally released September 2013; the newest version is 3.4.1 (for fixes for iPad crashes). Further information can be found in the iTunes store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/american-airlines/id382698565?mt=8

cubuffaloes2004 states:

"What's New in Version 3.3.0
- Now retrieve your mobile boarding pass for AA flights (for eligible cities) on itineraries with codeshare flights
- Ability to change your seat on US Airways flights
- Upon check in, see status of systemwide and 500-mile upgrade requests
- Mobile boarding pass redesign/enhancements
- Smarter search capabilities on Flight Status and Schedules
- Various other bug fixes"

Also displays the incoming flight.

The posts from 2011 and prior to then have been archived; you may find them here: Archive: AA iPhone app - questions and issues (2011 and prior)

Print Wikipost

AA Apple iPhone app - questions and issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Not sure about the every few hours bit, but I had to enter my password to see a seat map this morning for the first time in a long time.
Same for me. I have to re-enter my password every time I want to view the seat map for any of my reservations.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:31 pm

AA App - Cannot Log In

Need help with the AA App for iOS. I keep getting the log-in error message: "Login Error - We're unable to log you in with the information you entered. For your security, your account will be locked after 6 unsuccessful attempts. Please verify your entries and resubmit." I am able to log in using a web browser with no issues (both on my phone and computer).

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Found another way to force a reservation display refresh

I have a number of reservations on the app that have been "stuck" with an old "Updated xx days, yy hours, ... ago". Using the Manage Reservations function I've been able to get them to refresh but that's a pain.

I'm using iOS 11.4.1 on an iPhone 6+. By chance I discovered that if you go to a reservation that displays an old "Updated" date you can briefly swipe up, and without releasing your finger do a longer swipe down, and it will refresh. Saves a bit of time and a chunk of aggravation.

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; Jul 29, 2018 at 4:46 pm
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I have a number of reservations on the app that have been "stuck" with an old "Updated xx days, yy hours, ... ago". Using the Manage Reservations function I've been able to get them to refresh but that's a pain.

I'm using iOS 11.4.1 on an iPhone 6+. By chance I discovered that if you go to a reservation that displays an old "Updated" date you can briefly swipe up, and without releasing your finger do a longer swipe down, and it will refresh. Saves a bit of time and a chunk of aggravation.
That is the standard for refreshing/updating pages in apps on an iPhone. One can also update membership cards, boarding passes, etc in their Apple Wallet by doing the same.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
That is the standard for refreshing/updating pages in apps on an iPhone. One can also update membership cards, boarding passes, etc in their Apple Wallet by doing the same.
I agree that the straight downward swipe updates most everything, and I've used it routinely for years. However, it reliably refuses to update AA app reservations for me.

I've not encountered any other apps where a brief upward swipe blended into a subsequent downward swipe does anything.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I agree that the straight downward swipe updates most everything, and I've used it routinely for years. However, it reliably refuses to update AA app reservations for me.

I've not encountered any other apps where a brief upward swipe blended into a subsequent downward swipe does anything.
I misread your experience of having to do a brief upward swipe first. I did not address that. The single downward swipe with a slight hold at the end before release has always worked in updating reservations within the AA app for me.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by controller1
I misread your experience of having to do a brief upward swipe first. I did not address that. The single downward swipe with a slight hold at the end before release has always worked in updating reservations within the AA app for me.
There must be something really odd going on then. I just went into the app and (as always with my phone) a simple downward swipe does nothing when a reservation is displayed. Nothing moves. Nothing updates. Nothing happens. Adding the brief upward swipe causes the display to slide upwards with the swipe (as it should) and then seemingly unlocks the downward swipe functionality (so long as I don't lift my finger from the display between upward and downward movement).

Interestingly, when displaying the list of "Upcoming Trips" the simple downward swipe works as expected and refreshes the list. It's only after entering one of the reservations that functionality breaks.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA App question: View Boarding Pass but not Adding to Wallet?

in the AA iOS app, how do I just view my boarding pass without adding it to the wallet?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
in the AA iOS app, how do I just view my boarding pass without adding it to the wallet?
I don't believe that is how the app works. It is integrated with the wallet. When you click boarding pass it automatically opens up the wallet (or you can go directly to the BP via the wallet).

Even when you generate the BP the first time after check-in it launches the wallet to display it.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I have to add the BP to the wallet in order to see it? How annoying is that! Every other airline's app gives you the choice of displaying the BP or adding it to the wallet. I got tired of accumulating old BPs in my wallet a long time ago...
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
I remember there is a boarding pass option at the bottom of the screen, together with upgrade list?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
I remember there is a boarding pass option at the bottom of the screen, together with upgrade list?
Doesn't that just launch the wallet?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by neo_781
Doesn't that just launch the wallet?
Yes - but then I realized you don't have to add the pass. YOu can just look at it in the wallet, which I guess is the functionality I'm going for.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
So I have to add the BP to the wallet in order to see it? How annoying is that! Every other airline's app gives you the choice of displaying the BP or adding it to the wallet. I got tired of accumulating old BPs in my wallet a long time ago...
There is a function to delete old BP's in the wallet.

On the main page of the AA app swipe up the bottom section (where is says Flight Status, Find Trip, etc...) and go to "Notifications and Info" then Delete Expired Wallet Passes
Segments likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
It's actually a plus for some. My prior employer required copies of boarding passes for every segment. Having them in the wallet saved me a few times when I forgot to save the PDFs upon checking in on the web site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.