Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: funnyfarm299
Miles usually post on Bask website on the second business day of the month, to AA a day or 2 later.

Check the "Rewards" section of your Bask dashboard or the Recent Activity section of your AA account.

Current earn rate as of June 2023: 2.5 miles/dollar/year, awarded monthly (no LP's).
Print Wikipost

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2010, 4:39 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by mileage junkie
WOW. You keep $1.5 mil. with BankDirect!? I'm glad you're not concerned about being WAY over the FDIC limit with these guys, since I'm about to do the same (for a short period of time anyway).
It's not over the limit until December 31. Transactional accounts (including low-interest accounts) have unlimited coverage under TAGP, but interest-bearing accounts will lose coverage at the end of the year under the provisions of the Dodd-Frank Act. Non-interest bearing transactional accounts will continue to be covered with no limit until the end of 2012.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold / Million miler
Originally Posted by us2
It's not over the limit until December 31. Transactional accounts (including low-interest accounts) have unlimited coverage under TAGP, but interest-bearing accounts will lose coverage at the end of the year under the provisions of the Dodd-Frank Act. Non-interest bearing transactional accounts will continue to be covered with no limit until the end of 2012.

Thank you for that...good to know!
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by us2
Is the Bank Direct mileage account a NOW account? What I saw said only low-interest NOW accounts had the unlimited coverage through the end of 2010.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:59 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by noam
Is the Bank Direct mileage account a NOW account? What I saw said only low-interest NOW accounts had the unlimited coverage through the end of 2010.
My understanding from the research I did is that all transactional accounts, whether NOW or not, are covered under TAGP until the end of the year. Of course, this would be worth reconfirming with Bank Direct were one planning to make a large deposit. The FDIC is quite clear that the protection will end at the end of the year in any event, since the accounts pay interest no matter how slight.

The question going forward is whether Bank Direct might drop the very nominal cash interest paid in order to try to qualify their accounts for unlimited coverage and, if they did, whether the payment of mileage would be treated as "interest" by the FDIC for insurability purposes.

I think many/most large depositors would be willing to forego $2500 a year in interest on a $5MM deposit in exchange for FDIC coverage; one would still net 500K miles a month, which is a pretty decent tax-free return if one used those miles on international F/J awards.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by us2
I think many/most large depositors would be willing to forego $2500 a year in interest on a $5MM deposit in exchange for FDIC coverage; one would still net 500K miles a month, which is a pretty decent tax-free return if one used those miles on international F/J awards.
HYPOTHETICALLY.....If someone was lucky enough to have an extra $5 million to put in a BankDirect account; AND, you were willing to sacrifice approx $16,000 in interest (by my math), the single most amazing fact is:

You could achieve Lifetime Platinum on AA ....in FOUR MONTHS !!

(Hmm...I wonder if it's ever been done)
Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 1MM+ GOLD, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by mileage junkie
HYPOTHETICALLY.....If someone was lucky enough to have an extra $5 million to put in a BankDirect account; AND, you were willing to sacrifice approx $16,000 in interest (by my math), the single most amazing fact is:

You could achieve Lifetime Platinum on AA ....in FOUR MONTHS !!

(Hmm...I wonder if it's ever been done)
Another hypothetical... if someone were to have $5 million lying around, do they have to care for all this mileage accrual/elite status business?! Can't they simply afford to buy First Class tix to anywhere in the world anytime?!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by garimell
Another hypothetical... if someone were to have $5 million lying around, do they have to care for all this mileage accrual/elite status business?! Can't they simply afford to buy First Class tix to anywhere in the world anytime?!
They could, but not all buy FC tickets. I have met many high net worth individuals who fly economy or purchase economy tickets and request upgrades.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
I also have 7 figures+ in various AA mile earning accounts. The thing you have to pay attention is how to legally structure your accounts so you can drastically increase the FDIC limits. For example if you have a spouse or children you can add them as a POD on your account and increase your FDIC limits.

My accounts in these mileage accounts I have around $750,000 each account which are both totally protected with FDIC funds and limits. Just do a bit of due diligence. It was a more difficult decision when CD's were paying upwards of 5% but it's a no brainer for us when CD's are at paltry 1.5% fees if that.

Really research and understand how you can get your FDIC limits up. It's not that difficult.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:51 am

Saint is correct about the benefit of properly structuring multiple accounts. I'm not sure what a "POD" is, but here's the information I received directly from the FDIC. Bold italics are mine:

The FDIC rules for all shares that each co-owner owns in joint accounts at one bank are added together and insured up to $250,000, separately from deposits held in other ownership categories, if all of these conditions are met:

- Each co-owner must be a natural person
- The co-owners must have equal withdrawal rights to the account(s)
- Each co-owner must personally sign the account signature card
- No beneficiaries are named on this account

Personal signatures are not required if the account is a certificate of deposit, a negotiable instrument, or is established by an agent.

1. Be careful not to confuse joint accounts with "in trust for," "payable on death," and other revocable trust accounts. Although revocable trust accounts may be owned jointly by two or more persons, they are not insured as joint accounts.

2. Deposit accounts owned by a partnership or corporation are not insured as joint accounts even though more than one partner or corporate official may have signed the account signature card. Deposits owned by partnerships, corporations and unincorporated associations are insured in another insurance category.

3. Co-owners do not need to be related to qualify for joint account coverage.

Assuming the requirements above are met a joint account opened by a husband and wife is insurable for up to $500,000.

Individual accounts opened by each person with no beneficiaries named are also insurable for up to $250,000 for a total of $1,000,000 for the three accounts.

We hope this information is useful.

Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
It's only the first line of their response that I have trouble parsing, but it seems that an individual's maximum limit on FDIC insurance for all joint accounts held at one institution is $250K. Additional insurance, up to $250K, is also available for that individual's deposits "held in other categories."
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Alfonso XIV
Saint is correct about the benefit of properly structuring multiple accounts. I'm not sure what a "POD" is, but here's the information I received directly from the FDIC.
POD=payable on death. As far as I know each beneficiary is covered for 250K. For example, if I have a checking account with 3 beneficiaries the account is protected for 750K.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:14 am

How many miles?

I went to the BankDirect website to find out how many AA miles are awarded and couldn't find it.

could someone let me know where to find this information. For example, if I deposit $50k in a savings account, how many miles do I get per month?

Thanks heaps.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHi4Now
I went to the BankDirect website to find out how many AA miles are awarded and couldn't find it.

could someone let me know where to find this information. For example, if I deposit $50k in a savings account, how many miles do I get per month?

Thanks heaps.
Technically it's 100 per month per $1000 average daily balance, but they actually give me 1 per $10, so it's not rounded down.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
Technically it's 100 per month per $1000 average daily balance, but they actually give me 1 per $10, so it's not rounded down.
thanks - looking into alternative mm funds
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by rrgg
Same here...every mile counts
Old Nov 4, 2010, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by garimell

I can picture a situation where this is not INCOME, but rather a one-time-event where someone won or inherited a large sum of money, say $5 million; and they open a BankDirect account for only four months, forgo a chunk of (taxable) interest...but now are Platinum on AA for LIFE.

Again, we're talking about four months out of....the-rest-of-your-life.

Were I lucky enough to be in that situation, I would serious consider it, ESPECIALLY if I flew a lot!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.