Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: funnyfarm299
Miles usually post on Bask website on the second business day of the month, to AA a day or 2 later.

Check the "Rewards" section of your Bask dashboard or the Recent Activity section of your AA account.

Current earn rate as of June 2023: 2.5 miles/dollar/year, awarded monthly (no LP's).
Print Wikipost

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2010, 8:35 am
TTG

Smile BankDirect Savings earn Aadvantage miles

I didn't find this by searching and thought some of you might be interested in at least earning miles in this era of low returns on savings accounts.
http://www.bankdirect.com/products/checkingmileage.aspx
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

As you can see, the BankDirect offers and benefits have been widely discussed in this forum for some years now.

The way to find them is to use Advanced Search - search for titles only, results in threads only, using the term BankDirect, of course. That will reveal this active thread, into which your post has been merged, and others including requests / offers for BankDirect referrals.

(BTW, your post was hidden to the membership as part of FT's Spam control protocols - first posts with web links are placed into a moderated queue and must be approved by a Moderator prior to being seen.)

JDiver, Moderator

Originally Posted by TTG
I didn't find this by searching and thought some of you might be interested in at least earning miles in this era of low returns on savings accounts.
http://www.bankdirect.com/products/checkingmileage.aspx
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
BankDirect incredibly dodgy?

I haven't been able to access my BankDirect account all weekend: whenever I try to log in, a "TCP/IP error: host unreachable" message is returned. This error seems to come up fairly frequently, maybe once a week or so, but this is the first time my account has been inaccessible for such a long period. About a month ago I emailed their customer service department about this problem and they essentially blew off my complaint - "Thank you for your email; TCP/IP errors are caused problems with your computer or router, not ours."

This, of course, is completely untrue because: (1) I get the same error whether logging in from home, work, or friends' networks using completely different computers, and (2) usually by the next day the error goes away even though my computer and router configuration remain identical.

So, has anyone else been experiencing these problems with BankDirect lately? I do like their mileage checking product, but the increasingly spotty access to their system (along with their unacceptably cavalier attitude toward my question/complaint) is really worrisome. Is this a sign that perhaps I shouldn't trust my money to them?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I was unable to login on Saturday evening - after typing my pw I was redirected to a page asking for my "access id". But Sunday morning, it was back to normal and I could login.

It's certainly frustrating. I can handle occasional overnight downtime for site maintenance, but if that's it, they should put a message up on the login page, not just reject login attempts.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:25 am

I was tracking down some payments last weeknd and used BankDirect several times both Sat and Sun with no problem. Is it possible the 2 of you have the same ISP?
Old Dec 7, 2010, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, UA 1P
Originally Posted by josephstern
Wow. I read the article. You really can't feel bad for those people at all. And I think they realize it and don't even feel bad for themselves.

But, yeah, I'd get LT Platinum, then change the number to my wife's get her Platinum, and move on to my kids. I might even lend it out to friends for a while if they use the miles for good and not evil.

Of course, it'll never happen to me, or if it did, BD would go under that week, and I'd be the idiot.

Yeah, all the stuff he bought and he doesn't make one mention of setting money aside for his kids education. If I were a betting man (I am!) I'd lay odds that they have less than $5000, if that, set aside for their childrens' college funds.

I have no sympathy for them. I just wish I could borrow that money for a couple of months to get the lifetime Plat.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: Lifetime Gold AA, Gold Delta, Gold Starwood, Silver UA, Silver Hyatt, etc.
Unless your fully funding your own retirement paying for your childs education is a very bad investment. This is why there are college loans, not everyone can be a college grad, the world need ditch diggers.

Originally Posted by chubbuni13
Yeah, all the stuff he bought and he doesn't make one mention of setting money aside for his kids education. If I were a betting man (I am!) I'd lay odds that they have less than $5000, if that, set aside for their childrens' college funds.

I have no sympathy for them. I just wish I could borrow that money for a couple of months to get the lifetime Plat.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I've been a BankDirect customer for over a year now, and I can say that it's not uncommon for there to be odd website errors late at night/early in the morning (like 10pm-6am CT), and especially on Saturday nights. I attribute it to maintenance. It does seem to happen more often with BD than with other banks, and they never seem to have a "down for maintenance" message but instead allow whatever happens to be out of service to manifest itself to the user in strange ways.

I just accept it as one of those things with BD. If I access it before 10pm, I never have problems.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by rrgg
Gosh I wish he didn't publicize the "no taxes" aspect.
I wouldn't worry too much about this. Whatever BD is paying AA for the miles is being charged a 7.5% federal excise tax, which BD is eating as a cost of doing business.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Wow. I read the article. You really can't feel bad for those people at all. And I think they realize it and don't even feel bad for themselves.

But, yeah, I'd get LT Platinum, then change the number to my wife's get her Platinum, and move on to my kids. ...

Of course, it'll never happen to me, or if it did, BD would go under that week, and I'd be the idiot.
The way to do it would be to open a separate account for you, your wife, and each of your kids. Assuming that you set up your kids' accounts with one of the parents as a co-accountholder so as to not create a gift situation, and assuming that you put no more than $250,000 in each account, you could easily each become LT Platinum in less than 2 years, without any risk to your money should the bank go under.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by garimell
Have not tried wire transfers but, ACH transactions in and out (initiated from my Bank of America and ING Direct accounts) haven't incurred any charges for me at BankDirect.
I just signed on to my new account for the first time. I would rather do an ACH transfer of fund into my account (from ING Direct) rather than send a check. But I can't find any information on the website that says its possible. Does anyone know where to find the BD routing number or any other info re this?

thanks
Old Dec 20, 2010, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by daiseee
I just signed on to my new account for the first time. I would rather do an ACH transfer of fund into my account (from ING Direct) rather than send a check. But I can't find any information on the website that says its possible. Does anyone know where to find the BD routing number or any other info re this?

thanks
Yes, it's possible. I did what you're asking with my ING Direct account. You just need to initiate the transfer from ING Direct. AFAIK, there's no way to initiate a transfer using the BankDirect website.

You should've received some checks when you opened the account. The routing number and account number are on there. Even the temporary ones they send you will have this info. The routing number I have is 111024331. I assume it is the same for everyone.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
Thanks Skymatty! Tha'ts the exact info that I needed!
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been using BankDirect for over a year now, but I've never used the bill pay.

I see:

Earn 2000 miles for using BankDirect's bill pay service for 12 months
I also see that it's free.

So has anyone claimed the 2K miles? Do you have to use it a specified number of times to qualify?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:30 pm

Programs: aa
You need only pay one bill every month. AFAIK, the offer is only for the first year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.