Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Name, Gender Difference, Date of Birth, Change, Errors, etc. Account, Ticket, Award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Trivial name differences - first and last names without middle name, blending of middle or Latin style names, etc. should not cause trouble flying, as long as the identification used displays the primary characteristics of the name on the boarding pass / ticket on AA, and on most airlines.

However, Cathay Pacific and some airlines are genuine sticklers and may not make changes at their end. Members have reported challenging times getting fixes for otherwise trivial name issues.

Changing a name on an issued ticket - reissuing the same ticket to another person - will not happen.

Changing a date of birth due to an accidental account entry must be rectified by contact with AA.; you may (or not) be asked to fax supporting documentation. Some other account changes that don’t “stick” (sometimes passport information, etc.) will also have to be called in. Contact for gender changes or issues as well. See here for AAdvantage Account contact form (AAdvantage Customer Service is only open work days 7-7 Central time.) See post #1 for contact phone numbers and aa.com contact form page illustration.

See:

U.S. Department of State: Change or Correct a Passport link

Posts prior to 2016 have been archived, and can be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost. Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Name, Gender Difference, Date of Birth, Change, Errors, etc. Account, Ticket, Award

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by service1010
Can you please help ease my mind....

I have gotten 2 different answers from AA, no response from them on a PM on FB and a 'canned' response to an email. Sigh

I am worried about my boarding pass NOT matching my passport.

When I look at my ticket it shows first & last name only (passport includes middle name).

Aadvantage account shows my first, middle and last name.

What problems will I have with getting on my flight to (Mexico ) SJD next week?

Thank you
No worries. My BP never shows my middle name. On USAirways, it used to have the full name but not on AA.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by service1010
Can you please help ease my mind....

I have gotten 2 different answers from AA, no response from them on a PM on FB and a 'canned' response to an email. Sigh

I am worried about my boarding pass NOT matching my passport.

When I look at my ticket it shows first & last name only (passport includes middle name).

Aadvantage account shows my first, middle and last name.

What problems will I have with getting on my flight to SJD next week?

Thank you
I can only tell by my experience. My sister's first name was way too long, her middle name never included in boarding pass, thus doesnt match passport. Never being questioned once.

However, I had experienced once when traveling with Cathay in asia, my 2nd first name became initial, they said my name doesnt match my passport, insisted me to correct the name before issuing the boarding pass.however, i think if the ticket dont show initial at all, they will let me go.

So i think its pretty common leave the middle in America and europe, but be litttle cautions when traveling in asia, where its common ppl has 2nd first name.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
AA boarding passes at least on the phone always only shows first/last despite my middle name being in the Aadvantage account and I've never had an issue. Flew to SJD through PHX on AA in May, nothing eventful

I think you'll be fine
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:38 am

Thank you all!

Both my recent UA and SW trips had first/middle/last so I was worried....
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:06 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
aa.com birth date "problem"

On aa.com (using ie11 and also ms edge) in my main profile my birthday shows the CORRECT info. When I go to any of my 6 future reservations, click "edit passenger..." in the birthday field, the month and year are correct, the birthday is off by 1 (one) day [XX - 1]
I called exp desk and aa.com web services, they both see the correct info.
Using my iPhone with SAFARI browser, I see the same error.
PS: I'm in TSA pre-check, my KTN is showing correctly. It is possible that the error has been there for my past reservations but I never noticed it.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:51 am

Hi nrr -- just wanted to chime in to say that I'm having the same problem with my one current AA reservation (a US-Canada flight) as well. To be clear, if my birthday was July 4, 1950, that's correct in my AAdvantage profile, but in the "Secure Flight" information box for any particular reservation it's showing up as July 3, 1950.

I also called AA and spoke with the same groups, who claimed they were seeing no problems and had the correct July 4 birthday everywhere.

I'm going to let it be and assume it's some IT glitch for now, but my flight's over a month away. If I start seeing stories here about people running into actual problems boarding their flight due to this, I'll be more insistent about trying to get something fixed.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
I just checked myself and it is the same for me. Looks like a coding error. Certain software start the day at 0 and you have to add 1. Either the developer forgot to add the 1 or subtracted 1 when they shouldn't have.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
I checked in IE and Chrome. The bug is there for both. I expected as much. I am 99% certain it is a server side coding bug and it wouldn't matter which browser used.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Same here. I am one day older.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The system portion controlling account updates seems to be buggered. When I try to make a change I get
Attached Images  
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:13 pm
In memoriam

Just looked at mine. Same thing. I guess I'll let sleeping dogs lie for the time being. It must be an IT glitch.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Same here. I am one day older.
NOT the same here - I am one day younger in my reservation

Edited to add:

Oops - no I'm not one day younger, according to my reservation I was born one day earlier. Silly moi

Last edited by pandaperth; Oct 15, 2017 at 11:17 pm
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/7.0MM
It might be a common code bug

Mrs Skydiver has her birthday on July 1. On both CX and QR if i input 7/1/xxxx and save, the data screen shows 06/30. No matter how many times I do it, it makes her "another day older and deeper in debt".

If i input 7/2, it results in 7/1. That being said, at check-in with CX it sometimes had the correct value and sometimes had the incorrect and needed to be updated.

Perhaps there is a stock module used by various OW airlines?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Same here - one day older on a reservation I just made yesterday, in addition to older ones.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:52 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I'm OP, I have a flt on 11/3/17; as long as the birthday snafu doesn't affect my TSA pre-check status and is just an internal AA issue I'm not too concerned. Per AA everything is OK--I'll post a follow up if I'm stranded in JFK.

Last edited by nrr; Oct 16, 2017 at 8:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.