Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Bump Rates: Volunteer Compensation / Voluntary Denied Boarding

Passengers involuntarily denied boarding on AA are denied usually after calls for volunteers to accept vouchers (and occasionally variable other benefits), usually beginning at $200 or $300 but possibly going significantly higher, depending on passenger response. See more below, including AA Conditions of Carriage.

See IDB / Involuntarily Denied Boarding on AA & Compensation (master thread) for INVOLUNTARILY denied boarding.

Link to US Dept. of Transportation Aviation Consumer Protection Division's "Fly-Rights - A Consumer Guide to Air Travel" section on Overbooking

"IDB" (involuntarily denied boarding) compensation is governed in the USA by "14 CFR 250.5 - Amount of denied boarding compensation for passengers denied boarding involuntarily".

Link to CFR §250.5; as well:

14 CFR § 250.2b Carriers to request volunteers for denied boarding.
(a) In the event of an oversold flight, every carrier shall request volunteers for denied boarding before using any other boarding priority. A “volunteer” is a person who responds to the carrier's request for volunteers and who willingly accepts the carriers' offer of compensation, in any amount, in exchange for relinquishing the confirmed reserved space. Any other passenger denied boarding is considered for purposes of this part to have been denied boarding involuntarily, even if that passenger accepts the denied boarding compensation.

(b) Every carrier shall advise each passenger solicited to volunteer for denied boarding, no later than the time the carrier solicits that passenger to volunteer, whether he or she is in danger of being involuntarily denied boarding and, if so, the compensation the carrier is obligated to pay if the passenger is involuntarily denied boarding. If an insufficient number of volunteers come forward, the carrier may deny boarding to other passengers in accordance with its boarding priority rules.

14 CFR § 250.9 Written explanation of denied boarding compensation and boarding priorities, and verbal notification of denied boarding compensation.
(a) Every carrier shall furnish passengers who are denied boarding involuntarily from flights on which they hold confirmed reserved space immediately after the denied boarding occurs, a written statement explaining the terms, conditions, and limitations of denied boarding compensation, and describing the carriers' boarding priority rules and criteria. The carrier shall also furnish the statement to any person upon request at all airport ticket selling positions which are in the charge of a person employed exclusively by the carrier, or by it jointly with another person or persons, and at all boarding locations being used by the carrier.

Link to AA Conditions of Carriage, "Oversales"

In the European Union, EC261/2004 governs denied boarding compensation.

Link to EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints and AA (master thread)

On American Airlines, you are sometimes ineligible for IDB as allowed by the USDOT:
If a flight is oversold (more passengers hold confirmed reservations than there are seats available), no one may be denied boarding against his or her will until airline personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservation willingly, in exchange for compensation of the airline’s choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, other passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with the following boarding priority of American. In such events, American will usually deny boarding based upon check-in time, but we may also consider factors such as severe hardships, fare paid, and status within the AAdvantage® program.

If you are denied boarding involuntarily, you are entitled to a payment of
‘‘denied boarding compensation’’ from the airline unless:

- You have not fully complied with the airline’s ticketing, check-in and reconfirmation requirements, or you are not acceptable for transportation under the airline’s usual rules and practices; or

- You are denied boarding because the flight is canceled; or

You are denied boarding because a smaller capacity aircraft was substituted for safety or operational reasons; or

- On a flight operated with an aircraft having 60 or fewer seats, you are denied boarding due to safety-related weight/balance restrictions that limit payload; or

- You are offered accommodations in a section of the aircraft other than specified in your ticket, at no extra charge (a passenger seated in a section for which a lower fare is charged must be given an appropriate refund); or

- The airline is able to place you on another flight or flights that are planned to reach your next stopover or final destination within one hour of the planned arrival time of your original flight.[/code]

The previous thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Print Wikipost

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:06 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I flew JFK-YUL on 13 February. Eagle wanted 4 volunteers @ $200/pax and a seat on the next available flight because of weight restrictions. Hard pass from me since the next available flight was 6+ hours later.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Finsup72
Not sure the algorithm that is used. I've received $580 in the past to wait 3 hours on American Eagle and downgraded to coach, but I've also received $900 to wait 1 hour and upgraded from J to F on JFK-LAX. I wish I could understand the algorithm but I can't seem to figure it out. Please report back and let us know if they were looking for volunteers!
Clearly wait time is not considered, as AA has no way of knowing that for an individual passenger when the offers are made and everyone receives the same amount.. IMHO there is no algorithm as such (at least as that term is usually used). Agents simply start with a low figure, usually 2 or 3 hundred and raise it until the required number of volunteers is obtained.There likely is a maximum offer, set at the level where it becomes less costly to involuntarily deny boarding.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by rens
Clearly wait time is not considered, as AA has no way of knowing that for an individual passenger when the offers are made and everyone receives the same amount.. IMHO there is no algorithm as such (at least as that term is usually used). Agents simply start with a low figure, usually 2 or 3 hundred and raise it until the required number of volunteers is obtained.There likely is a maximum offer, set at the level where it becomes less costly to involuntarily deny boarding.
Lately, it seems that the rates are computer-generated. On the last flight I was bumped, they asked for volunteers but didn't give a figure. I went up to the desk and the agent was confused and couldn't figure out the right keystrokes in order to process a VDB and needed help. Eventually, the other agent clicked a couple buttons and told me a completely random number without any science. I asked for more but she said "no, this is what the computer offered". They seem to be random amounts nowadays (e.g. $570, $640, $720).

I haven't received a starting offer below $400 in the last 2 years.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
They seem to be odd numbers. A couple weeks of ago it was $480 for DFW/MIA with no volunteers needed in the end. Seems as though most of the time when they ask for volunteers your seat is not needed, causing you to board at the end and (hopefully) finding room for your bags.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
They seem to be odd numbers. A couple weeks of ago it was $480 for DFW/MIA with no volunteers needed in the end. Seems as though most of the time when they ask for volunteers your seat is not needed, causing you to board at the end and (hopefully) finding room for your bags.
You board at the end - with your assigned seat at least.

The last time I volunteered (fall of last year IIRC), some agents will "pink" tag a volunteer's bag to ensure that the volunteer isn't penalized with their bag being suddenly gate-checked. The pink tag bag is brought by the baggage handlers to the jetbridge (a la AA eagle). I don't know if this is universal, but when I volunteered (and they used my ticket), a couple of other volunteers wound up boarding and that is how the agent dealt with the bag issue.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:10 am

AA 1939 MCO-CLT 2/23 oversold by 6. $750 travel voucher offered with overnight hotel and meal vouchers and flight home late in the afternoon the next day. The wife and I took it. Hard to turn down $1.5k and an extra day in warm sunny Florida this time of year.

Bill
linglingfool and miles4CDG like this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: Former DL PM, AS MVP
American Eagle PHX-BFL. Offered $220 for a 7-8 hour delay. Would not budge from that amount. They were asking for 18 volunteers (CRJ900->CRJ200 equipment change), so there had to be like 10+ invols ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by milwaukeeclassic
American Eagle PHX-BFL. Offered $220 for a 7-8 hour delay. Would not budge from that amount. They were asking for 18 volunteers (CRJ900->CRJ200 equipment change), so there had to be like 10+ invols ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I am guessing AA stuck to their $$ because they were using the smaller equipment swap exception to paying IDB.

Hopefully they got the $220.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:07 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Vegas was a mess on Thursday 2/21 because of the snow storm.

My LAS-ORD flight was oversold by 10, as the previous 2 flights were canceled and they seemed to be repositioning crew. Offer was $1K for a reroute via LAX getting into ORD after midnight. For those going to points onward from ORD, they were saying they couldn't get out until Friday.

Several IDBs were needed as not enough volunteers. Wish I could've done it, but my 1.5 year old isn't yet able to stay home by herself
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The 1:30 PM CLT-EWR 737-800 cancelled today making the 4:30 PM CLT-EWR A-321 pretty oversold. When I got to the gate they were still looking for 4 more volunteers who were being offered the strange figure of $770, meal and hotel vouchers and a seat tomorrow at 7:30 AM. The agent said they had already gone as high as they could go. Sadly I was making a connection in EWR or I'm pretty sure I could have found a way to get somewhere near NY tonight and taken the money.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CMK10
The 1:30 PM CLT-EWR 737-800 cancelled today making the 4:30 PM CLT-EWR A-321 pretty oversold. When I got to the gate they were still looking for 4 more volunteers who were being offered the strange figure of $770, meal and hotel vouchers and a seat tomorrow at 7:30 AM. The agent said they had already gone as high as they could go. Sadly I was making a connection in EWR or I'm pretty sure I could have found a way to get somewhere near NY tonight and taken the money.
What is it with American and their oddball amounts? I heard $460 the other day. The other carriers stick with those nice round dollar amounts!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:39 am

My guess is that its gotta be driven by length of the expected alternative booking and stage of the flight length.

PHL-LAX was oversold by 2 the other day - they were taking volunteers but the one person I saw running up to the gate desk wound up boarding at the last minute.

FWIW.... 3 out of 4 flights on Wednesday were 100% full - PHL-LAX, LAX-DFW, and DFW-DCA. Only the shorty DCA-PHL had open seats. American sure is packing them in.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:43 pm

February 20, AA 1226, MIA-DFW 5.45am departure. Although I knew the flight was likely overbooked, I didn't get to the gate until just before boarding began. I asked the agent if they needed volunteers and she said "Yes, but I already have my volunteers". I said okay and went to the restroom before boarding. When I got back, she apparently had been looking for me in the crowd and came over and said "You know, I might need you after all". They were offering a $500 voucher so I said okay.

As boarding started to wind down, she started calling volunteers in reverse order (I was #6 of 9...pretty serious overselling). Unfortunately, she called me and told me I could board. I was bummed and I have never taken so long to walk down a jet bridge in my life. I took so long that the agent ended up boarding the plane to do her counts before I did. I boarded right after her and she says to the FA: "Oh oh! Someone's in 4A; nobody is supposed to be there. I think my count may be off". I took my seat in 9A and less than 60 seconds later, the GA returns and asks: "Still wanna get off?". I got off that plane as quickly as possible. All the MIA-DFW flights were sold out until early afternoon. So yes, AA definitely is packing them in.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:47 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by rumboj
"Oh oh! Someone's in 4A; nobody is supposed to be there. I think my count may be off". I took my seat in 9A and less than 60 seconds later, the GA returns and asks: "Still wanna get off?". I got off that plane as quickly as possible. All the MIA-DFW flights were sold out until early afternoon. So yes, AA definitely is packing them in.
Are they allowed to ask that question in the MIA area these days?
Global321 and rumboj like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Are they allowed to ask that question in the MIA area these days?
LOL.... I am slow... I read that 4 times before I got it!

Nice one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.