Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Bump Rates: Volunteer Compensation / Voluntary Denied Boarding

Passengers involuntarily denied boarding on AA are denied usually after calls for volunteers to accept vouchers (and occasionally variable other benefits), usually beginning at $200 or $300 but possibly going significantly higher, depending on passenger response. See more below, including AA Conditions of Carriage.

See IDB / Involuntarily Denied Boarding on AA & Compensation (master thread) for INVOLUNTARILY denied boarding.

Link to US Dept. of Transportation Aviation Consumer Protection Division's "Fly-Rights - A Consumer Guide to Air Travel" section on Overbooking

"IDB" (involuntarily denied boarding) compensation is governed in the USA by "14 CFR 250.5 - Amount of denied boarding compensation for passengers denied boarding involuntarily".

Link to CFR §250.5; as well:

14 CFR § 250.2b Carriers to request volunteers for denied boarding.
(a) In the event of an oversold flight, every carrier shall request volunteers for denied boarding before using any other boarding priority. A “volunteer” is a person who responds to the carrier's request for volunteers and who willingly accepts the carriers' offer of compensation, in any amount, in exchange for relinquishing the confirmed reserved space. Any other passenger denied boarding is considered for purposes of this part to have been denied boarding involuntarily, even if that passenger accepts the denied boarding compensation.

(b) Every carrier shall advise each passenger solicited to volunteer for denied boarding, no later than the time the carrier solicits that passenger to volunteer, whether he or she is in danger of being involuntarily denied boarding and, if so, the compensation the carrier is obligated to pay if the passenger is involuntarily denied boarding. If an insufficient number of volunteers come forward, the carrier may deny boarding to other passengers in accordance with its boarding priority rules.

14 CFR § 250.9 Written explanation of denied boarding compensation and boarding priorities, and verbal notification of denied boarding compensation.
(a) Every carrier shall furnish passengers who are denied boarding involuntarily from flights on which they hold confirmed reserved space immediately after the denied boarding occurs, a written statement explaining the terms, conditions, and limitations of denied boarding compensation, and describing the carriers' boarding priority rules and criteria. The carrier shall also furnish the statement to any person upon request at all airport ticket selling positions which are in the charge of a person employed exclusively by the carrier, or by it jointly with another person or persons, and at all boarding locations being used by the carrier.

Link to AA Conditions of Carriage, "Oversales"

In the European Union, EC261/2004 governs denied boarding compensation.

Link to EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints and AA (master thread)

On American Airlines, you are sometimes ineligible for IDB as allowed by the USDOT:
If a flight is oversold (more passengers hold confirmed reservations than there are seats available), no one may be denied boarding against his or her will until airline personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservation willingly, in exchange for compensation of the airline’s choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, other passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with the following boarding priority of American. In such events, American will usually deny boarding based upon check-in time, but we may also consider factors such as severe hardships, fare paid, and status within the AAdvantage® program.

If you are denied boarding involuntarily, you are entitled to a payment of
‘‘denied boarding compensation’’ from the airline unless:

- You have not fully complied with the airline’s ticketing, check-in and reconfirmation requirements, or you are not acceptable for transportation under the airline’s usual rules and practices; or

- You are denied boarding because the flight is canceled; or

You are denied boarding because a smaller capacity aircraft was substituted for safety or operational reasons; or

- On a flight operated with an aircraft having 60 or fewer seats, you are denied boarding due to safety-related weight/balance restrictions that limit payload; or

- You are offered accommodations in a section of the aircraft other than specified in your ticket, at no extra charge (a passenger seated in a section for which a lower fare is charged must be given an appropriate refund); or

- The airline is able to place you on another flight or flights that are planned to reach your next stopover or final destination within one hour of the planned arrival time of your original flight.[/code]

The previous thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Print Wikipost

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Global321
Years ago when I my flight was canceled in CLT, they gave us a hotel voucher. We simply gave our names at check-in and we got a key. No formal check in. Hopefully, that is what happened here.
Hopefully, but whenever I got a hotel voucher, including last night, they took the CC for incidentals anyway.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 12:06 pm

Reporting another VDB success! MIA to SKB Flight 318 on 12/22. After doing a VDB on 12/21 for $800, I successfully did the same today for another $800. When I got to the gate, I asked the agent to put me down as a volunteer. Yet again, there was no mention of the volunteer list via the app; I am beginning to think agents just don’t care about it. I had volunteered last night with a bid of $500. All 20 of the standbys from last night’s flight were rolled to the standby list on AA 318 today. Nobody cleared. They have now been rolled to the evening flight.

I am now confirmed on AA 1236 tonight and the gate agent from the earlier flight already put me on the volunteer list. I have no shame!

AA is really taking care of me this holiday season...after mistreating me for most of 2019
Old Dec 20, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by rumboj
Reporting another VDB success! MIA to SKB Flight 318 on 12/22. After doing a VDB on 12/21 for $800, I successfully did the same today for another $800.
Congrats on the $1,600 of future funds, may it continue until Christmas
Global321 and rumboj like this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by rumboj
Reporting another VDB success! MIA to SKB Flight 318 on 12/22. After doing a VDB on 12/21 for $800, I successfully did the same today for another $800. When I got to the gate, I asked the agent to put me down as a volunteer. Yet again, there was no mention of the volunteer list via the app; I am beginning to think agents just don’t care about it. I had volunteered last night with a bid of $500. All 20 of the standbys from last night’s flight were rolled to the standby list on AA 318 today. Nobody cleared. They have now been rolled to the evening flight.

I am now confirmed on AA 1236 tonight and the gate agent from the earlier flight already put me on the volunteer list. I have no shame!

AA is really taking care of me this holiday season...after mistreating me for most of 2019
Impressive that you can VDB in the future
pmarrsouth likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
VDB DP

TL, DR: $650, in-app max for DFW-SAN; app had offered $250 max day prior, $650 offer popped up on app about 1.5 hrs to departure.

Flying MSP-DFW-SAN

The DFW-SAN segment was the chokepoint, per EF had zeroed out all fare classes a day or two prior. (Was tracking because we couldnt get 2 seats together when booking)

I checked us in at -24hrs to secure MCE (i’m lowly Gold) and was offered 4 choices for VDB, max $250; i didnt bite.

On the taxi to the gate at DFW, as i was checking my app for gate information, popup showed max offer now $650; i bit for just me.

We showed to the gate at -60 min, GAs arrived at -50, i told them i had volunteered but my travel companion *had* to be on the flight. Took them a few moments to separate our tix, and then longer to find my VDB offer in their system, then told me to have a seat.

Around the Group 7-8 boarding point the GA came around the gate area, in a style i’d best describe as from ‘Best in Show’, pointing at me and a few others, “ I’ll need you, you, and your seats”. Overheard at least one other pax got $650.

They confirmed a MCE/Exit window for me on the next direct; they mentioned they can’t hunt for flights, only offer from pre-selected/presented options, and no power to upgrade to F...
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I’m flying EGE to JFK today on 796. There’s snow in Vail today and they were talking about putting a weight restriction on the flight. They were looking for 10 volunteers. I went to the desk to find out what the negotiated offer was—$1,000 + hotel/taxi/food vouchers and a flight the next day. My plans are flexible and I agreed. Apparently they got clearance to take off from a different runway 7 something (didn’t catch the letter) and they wouldn’t need to be weight restricted after all.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by donotblink
I’m flying EGE to JFK today on 796. There’s snow in Vail today and they were talking about putting a weight restriction on the flight. They were looking for 10 volunteers. I went to the desk to find out what the negotiated offer was—$1,000 + hotel/taxi/food vouchers and a flight the next day. My plans are flexible and I agreed. Apparently they got clearance to take off from a different runway 7 something (didn’t catch the letter) and they wouldn’t need to be weight restricted after all.
Yep it ain't final until it's final. I would be less than shocked if 10 paxs checked in and no show for the flight (misconnect, late arriving to the airport). A bummer. I'm sure that $1K voucher would have gone to good use.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Yep it ain't final until it's final. I would be less than shocked if 10 paxs checked in and no show for the flight (misconnect, late arriving to the airport). A bummer. I'm sure that $1K voucher would have gone to good use.
No one is misconnecting in EGE, but it’s cool.
friedablass and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:13 pm

We received a phone call on 02/10/20 from AA for our business class flight PHX (333)-PHL (767)-SXM in about 2 weeks, we were told that the PHL-SXM business class was oversold, they offered PHX-MIA-SXM and $500 voucher each. We wanted as much lie-flat seats as possible, so asked if they would do PHX (333)-PHL(767)-MIA(737)-SXM and they agreed. In the end, we land about 2 hours later than our original flights, have mostly lie-flat seats, and a total of $1,000 in-hand. I have read about receiving calls about oversold situations but this was our first experience.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 4:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This weekend felt like old times:

9/5 AA 2265 PHL-JAX A-319: Soliciting volunteers at the gate, I didn't hear the offer though
9/7 AA 1973 JAX-CLT A-320: Soliciting volunteers at the gate. They didn't get enough though and a GA came on board looking for two more people. She eventually got two people going JAX-CLT-ORD to accept UA JAX-ORD plus $500
9/7 AA 4252 CLT-GSO ERJ-140: Took two volunteers at the gate including me. Offer was $500 and a flight three and a half hours later. 7 people ended up not showing up though and we weren't needed.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 7:24 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
My kid was on AA 3157 from ECP to ORD looking for 3 volunteers and only offering $100. Ord - STL fully booked. Contrast this with her and our outbound flight on WN which was completely civilized at 2/3 full.

Call me a wimp but for now I am a WN guy.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 5:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Flying RDU/CLT yesterday and apparently F was oversold by one (there was an a/c downgauge several weeks back). No upgrade for me, no biggie it's a 30 minute flight. The GA announces a $500 voucher for any F pax that was willing to take a bump from F to Y. Shockingly no takers. Finally the woman standing next to me is downgraded and given a voucher (she had no F seat assignment). She's given an exit row aisle. And she's really upset she's not in F. I explained to her how to use the voucher and that it could be used for family members, the flight is only 25-30 minutes in air and there probably won't even be a beverage service but she was still upset because the agent said she couldn't get the fare difference back albeit it would probably be well less than $500. Really why couldn't that have been me. A $500 voucher to sit on Y on the second shortest mainline flight in the system? I'd be delighted.
haroon145, jjmoore, samosa and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Flying RDU/CLT yesterday and apparently F was oversold by one (there was an a/c downgauge several weeks back). No upgrade for me, no biggie it's a 30 minute flight. The GA announces a $500 voucher for any F pax that was willing to take a bump from F to Y. Shockingly no takers. Finally the woman standing next to me is downgraded and given a voucher (she had no F seat assignment). She's given an exit row aisle. And she's really upset she's not in F. I explained to her how to use the voucher and that it could be used for family members, the flight is only 25-30 minutes in air and there probably won't even be a beverage service but she was still upset because the agent said she couldn't get the fare difference back albeit it would probably be well less than $500. Really why couldn't that have been me. A $500 voucher to sit on Y on the second shortest mainline flight in the system? I'd be delighted.
I'll be flying the same route ( CLT-RDU & RDU-CLT ) multiple times this week in part of my mileage runs and I would happily accept that $500 voucher. Thanks for alerting me so that I could go to the gate earlier to listen to a potential announcement and show up at the podium.

Odd flights below are CLT-RDU; even flights are RDU-CLT
Flight 4 is a 737-800, all others are onboard an A319

Flight 1:
C0 J1 R1 D1 I1 U0 Y2 B2 H1 K1 M0 L0G0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 E0 T0
Flight 2:
C0 J0 R0 D0 I0 U0 Y7 B7 H5 K4 M3 L2G0 V2 S0 N0 Q0 O0 E0 T0
Flight 3:
C0 J0 R0 D0 I0 U0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M5 L4G1 V3 S0 N0 Q0 O0 E0 T0
Flight 4:
C0 J7 R7 D7 I7 U0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7G5 V7 S2 N1 Q0 O0 E0 T0
Flight 5:
C0 J0 R0 D0 I0 U0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7G7 V7 S7 N3 Q0 O0 E0 T0
Flight 6:
C0 J0 R0 D0 I0 U0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7G5 V7 S1 N0 Q0 O0 E0 T0
Old Feb 26, 2021, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
I get solicited by the app for about 50% of the flights I've taken since September. No one has ever been needed yet. I will still occasionally (very occasionally) hear gate agents soliciting when I connect in CLT or ORD, though it hasn't happened on any of my flights.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 6:16 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Yesterday AA 1344 the 777-200 which runs between MIA-CLT was oversold by 4. This was at the tail end of boarding and they were getting ready to IDB people. I went to discuss options but there were no seats that day on anything to CLT, RDU or GSO so I passed before I could learn the offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.