Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Boeing 767-300 / 763 "CIP" with Lie Flat Business (2014 CIP)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The current thread for discussing the 767-323ER Thompson Vantage Business Seats is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1542143-boeing-767-300-763-thompson-vantage-business-seat-map-best-seats.html.

"CIP" Cabin Improvement Program Full Lie Flat Thompson Vantage Seat and All-Aisle Access. 16 of 24 with WiFi, Business with tablets for IFE.

See American Airlines Business Class Seat video in first post
[/b]
[/center]
Due to thread and interest growth, please see 763 / 767 CIP New (2014) Business Seat and Map (master thread). BUSINESS SEAT and BUSINESS CABIN posts have moved to that thread.

NOTE: All currently flying 763s are refurbished.

100% of the active fleet have been converted (as of 30OCT17) (* = wifi available):
  • N342AN*, N343AN*, N344AN*, N346AN*, N347AN*, N348AN*, N349AN*, N350AN*, N379AA, N381AN*, N384AA*, N385AM, N388AA, N389AA, N390AA, N391AA, N392AN, N393AN, N394AN, N395AN, N396AN, N397AN*, N398AN, and N399AN*.

The following 34 aircraft have been retired (as of 30OCT17):
  • N345AN, N351AA, N352AA, N353AA, N354AA, N355AA, N357AA, N358AA, N39356, N359AA, N360AA, N361AA, N362AA, N363AA, N39364, N39365, N366AA, N39367, N368AA, N369AA, N370AA, N371AA, N372AA, N373AA, N374AA, N7375A, N376AN, N377AN, N378AN, N382AN, N383AN, N386AA, N387AM, N380AN (with N373AA being the final NGBC aircraft retired to Roswell on 30OCT17)

Program details:
  • ~26 (46%) of AA's fleet of 57 763 / 767-323ERs have been retained and upgraded with a Cabin Improvement Program - 28 new horizontal lie-flat Thompson Vantage business seats, 14 MCE seats (row 11 gets removed as the business cabin is enlarged), and 163 coach / economy (including 14 exit row) seats. Other upgrades include international satellite Wi-Fi (refit started in 2016), 110V AC power outlets in the business cabin (MCE and coach will retain 15V DC cigarette-lighter style power), new overhead monitors and audio systems, and a refurbishment of lavatories and main cabin seats. No personal in-seat video system was installed - the premium cabin retain the Samsung Galaxy tablets (docked to seatbacks) on international flights, and the main cabin, as well as the premium cabin on domestic flights, will stay with shared overhead screens.

• These aircraft were refurbished for one reason: the AA/BA/IB/AY transatlantic joint business agreement requires that AA have lie-flat seats for transatlantic routes.

• Link to post with artist's rendition of new J cabin. Link to post with new seat maps as they appear in AA.com

• Link to airchive article including pictures, and Link to mycrewlife blog post with more renderings showing the business cabin.

• Link to FT Trip Report with images

• Link to AA's widebody CIP announcement. For 777 upgrades, see thread 777-200ER / 772 No First; New Business Announced 2014 (767 stuff moved).

J-cabin seat map:

Code:
   A  D  G  J
 2 0_ 0_0_ _0 2
 3 _0 _0_0 0_ 3
 4 0_ 0_0_ _0 4
 5 _0 _0_0 0_ 5
 6 0_ 0_0_ _0 6
 7 _0 _0_0 0_ 7
 8 0_ 0_0_ _0 8
 A  D  G  J

Legend: 0 = seat; _ = table
Link to SeatGuru 763 seat chart

Note: the seats in C behind seats with smaller consoles (inside center) have smaller foot cubbies; those with large feet or shoes will feel cramped. Those over six feet will feel cramped if they lie supine in the fully flattened seat; sleeping slanted or side sleeping with bent legs is possible.

In Business they offer a 110 VAC multi-socket in the e-pad front tray area, and another, as well as USB and audio mini jack at shoulder height over and at the rear of the console. Seat controls are touch controls, and can involuntarily be operated by resting your forearm on the console.

The tray table is released with a button; it pivots out and folds. Table height may impede those who are portly or have long legs. Overhead bins, IFE monitors, lavs etc. have not been upgraded.

JDiver's mini-report here.

Contributors: sensei, SDQBound(former B7e7US), Longboater, Econometrics[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Boeing 767-300 / 763 "CIP" with Lie Flat Business (2014 CIP)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by FAA1996
I for one value direct aisle access and privacy more than width. I sleep on my side or stomach and am not a big person. Of course I won't be able to opine until I fly the new seat in a couple of weeks....
Unfortunately this is only available in Global First or in Business First (on 763/764 pmUA aircraft)... I really do like AA's new configurations allowing every passenger aisle access in J without climbing over someone or having someone climb over me. Wish UA would take notes for future aircraft configs..... wishful thinking. GF is an occasional luxury to be had on award miles only, whereas BF is considerably more frequent in my world.... would be nice to not share space with other passengers when on a $4000 ticket, ya know!

Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by jjmoore
The J seats on 3-class int'l are quite narrow on UA... the 2-class int'l (inherited concept from exCO) are far superior J products on UA.... would be interesting to hear perspective on this from someone that has flown on AA's new product and can compare to UA's.
The pmUA and pmCO seats are very similar; UA's are a little bit longer and CO's have perhaps a tad more width. The only thing I would consider to be superior about the CO seats is that they give just a bit of storage space whereas UA's have none. UA also has backward facing seats, which I love.

I do find the seat cushioning on UA's seats (both types) to be much better (softer) than most other business seats out there. While I love the CX style seating that AA appears to be using, I wish the seat cushions were not so hard. UA's cushions on CX seats would be perfection in my book.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hillrider
The tradeoff? Aisle access, as 33% of the passengers need to climb over their seatmate, and no solo seats.
Plus an additional 33% of the passengers risk being climbed over repeatedly during flight. Together, 2/3 of the passengers must climb over or be climbed over.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Plus an additional 33% of the passengers risk being climbed over repeatedly during flight. Together, 2/3 of the passengers must climb over or be climbed over.
Very good point! I'm usually the climber, but the few times I was on an aisle next to a window I never liked the experience of being climbed over by strangers!

I think I will too end up with FAA1996's conclusion once I actually experience the seat.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Plus an additional 33% of the passengers risk being climbed over repeatedly during flight...
That's a great observation!
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by hillrider
Very good point! I'm usually the climber, but the few times I was on an aisle next to a window I never liked the experience of being climbed over by strangers!

I think I will too end up with FAA1996's conclusion once I actually experience the seat.
I don't mind climbing over others (I'm 6'1") as any J seat still beats any seat in Y, i.e. speaking as an upgrader who will never be able to buy J.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jjmoore
The J seats on 3-class int'l are quite narrow on UA... the 2-class int'l (inherited concept from exCO) are far superior J products on UA.... would be interesting to hear perspective on this from someone that has flown on AA's new product and can compare to UA's.
About 50% of FT members responding to a long-running poll find the pmCO seats to be inferior (including myself). Just goes to show that individual body shapes and preferences can make a big difference in how you perceive seats.

On the whole I actually find the pmCO seats to be roughly comparable in comfort and utility to the 772 NGBC seats. One problem not often reported is the former seat's voracious appetite for eating loose wires, seat belt sections, and pretty much anything else it can grab when you're repositioning it, which I hardly ever see with other UA or AA seats.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
About 50% of FT members responding to a long-running poll find the pmCO seats to be inferior (including myself). Just goes to show that individual body shapes and preferences can make a big difference in how you perceive seats.
Yeah I'm not a fan of the pmCO seats. They look great online but in reality I was much too tall for them even at 6' 1". I didn't like having to jump over my husband either, though I would have really hated jumping over a stranger. This was on a 767-400 in a 2-1-2 layout. I think these new AA seats look much better considering the width of the 767 they had to work with.

While disappointing, I do think not wiring the bird for AVOD makes sense financially. Maybe it will also allow them to really rush through this refurb process too?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
Very, very disappointing choice.
AA must have :
1 - Run out of money after excellent 77W seat
2 - Got US creeping in and steering the choice towards the cheapest possible one

This seats are impossible to fly for anyone taller then 1.80. I am 1.92 and I can't fit. Shoulder space is also terrible, you lay on the floor in flat mode and if you have large feet - forget about fitting those into the hole they supposed to go.

I guess that 77W was one of those rare and bright exceptions that just confirm the rule - stay away from all American airlines if you want anything decent. A shame, really.

Regards,

El Puerco Volante.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante

I guess that 77W was one of those rare and bright exceptions that just confirm the rule
Except for those of us that despise herringbone.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
Except for those of us that despise herringbone.
I guess you meant "reverse herringbone" or we are talking about different airlines
Preferences are individual, of course. But one thing is preferring one layout to a different one and another is being offered a seat where people can not fit at all

Regards,

El Puerco Volante.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:00 am
Suspended

...that just confirm the rule - stay away from all American airlines if you want anything decent. A shame, really.
Yes, "a shame, really"-- one can see how heartbreaking it must be for you to come this realization.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
AA must have :
1 - Run out of money after excellent 77W seat
2 - Got US creeping in and steering the choice towards the cheapest possible one
I thought it was actually that AA was intentionally avoiding spending too much money on seats that were only a temporary replacement measure?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Yes, "a shame, really"-- one can see how heartbreaking it must be for you to come this realization.
Apart from cheap sarcasm, I like AAdvantage very much and honestly find that it is a shame it can not be followed by airline with decent hard (apart from 77W) and soft products.

Often this is how it works - excellent FF and terrible airline or the opposite. Look as SQ or EK for example. Excellent product but bad FF. US airlines used to be the opposite - excellent FF and terrible rest. Now that UA and DL ruined the FF programs AA is the only standing one. Guess it won't last long neither

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
I thought it was actually that AA was intentionally avoiding spending too much money on seats that were only a temporary replacement measure?
That sounds reasonable and may actually be the case. I would rather keep the old seats then - the new ones are simply impossible to fly by anyone slightly taller or larger then medium size.

Regards,

El Puerco Volante

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.