Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Red Eye on 757 LAX to BOS, upgrade worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2009, 2:42 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Robt760
Red Eye choices on LAX-BOS/IAD have been a choice of:

+Cheese/Cracker/Fruit Plate
+Cold Salad with Chicken or other protein on top
+Bowl of Soup (Sometimes you have to ask for this, as the FA's either don't want to offer/bother with it, or possibly are wanting it for themselves)

Usually a PDB is offered, regular beverage choice after take off, and coffee/juice before arrival.
Thanks for the info.

Side note, I didn't think SEA/SAN-JFK was AFS service, but fairly close, but I could be wrong, I've never taken either flight.
They are AFS. Same F menus as the other trans-cons. Albeit, there are no redeyes on either route.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP 14M, UA-1K, AS-MVP Gold, DL-PL, CO-PL, EK-Gold, BA-Gold, HH-D, SPG-PL
Smile

It depends on your mission, if you have nothing to do once you arrive, coach is fine. If u need to be rested upon arrival, upgrade would be cool. Back in the day when I was Plat, I would ask for an empty row and block the 2 seats next to me. A few pillows and blankets would make me sleep like a baby.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MAH4546
LAS-MIA is not an AFS routes.

AFS routes - those between SEA/SFO/LAX/SAN-BOS/NYC/WAS/MIA - have meal service on redeyes, although its not at all a "meal," more of a snack. Typically a cheese/fruit plate, and maybe something else. I haven't been on a redeye in forever. Whats the AFS food on redeyes nowadays?
LAS-MIA red-eye does get the red-eye snack service like the AFS flights.

Strangely, the two westbound flights - even the 3:55 p.m. departure are snack and not meals. Probably a function of low-revenue travelers.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 7:00 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by StrandedinSC
Are you heading for EXP?

If so, burn the stickers. They'll soon enough be (next to) useless.
I respectfully offer a different opinion...

Even as I was a PLT headed to EXP, I was saving my stickers for a few purposes:

1) I know that one unfortunate day in the future, I will drop back down to PLT and need stickers. (They're like a security blanket for me...)

2) There will probably also come a time while I am EXP that I would like to upgrade a companion using my stickers. Having a few in the "bank" would be handy...
Old Sep 9, 2009, 7:04 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Then I must already be asleep when they come around because I don't remember ever seeing it.

By the way what does AFS stand for?

Originally Posted by sts603
LAS-MIA red-eye does get the red-eye snack service like the AFS flights.

Strangely, the two westbound flights - even the 3:55 p.m. departure are snack and not meals. Probably a function of low-revenue travelers.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 7:14 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Panamajon513
Then I must already be asleep when they come around because I don't remember ever seeing it.

By the way what does AFS stand for?
AFS = American Flagship Service
(IFS = International Flagship Service)

(A good place to check is the AA Forum glossary: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/6629120-post5.html)
Old Sep 9, 2009, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JY1024
AFS = American Flagship Service
(IFS = International Flagship Service)

(A good place to check is the AA Forum glossary: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/6629120-post5.html)

The full list of premium cabin meal services:

AFS = American Flagship Service (2-class or 3-class nonstop transcon service)
IFS = International Flagship Service (to/from Europe, Asia, India, and Deep South America [Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, and Chile])
HFS = Hawaiian Flagship Service
LFS = Latin Flagship Service (South America short-haul: Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, and Peru)

Other premium cabin meal services are considered "basic" or "basic plus" depending on market, including domestic [non-transcon], Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, and Central America. LFS is not much different from "basic plus" in that it includes typical domestic setup/entree, with the addition of a very minimal pre-arrival snack--usually fruit/cheese or some kind of muffin for redeyes.

(Bolivia is technically IFS, along with Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, and Chile, but I wouldn't fork over an eVIP or miles+copay to upgrade to J unless the equipment is the 75L.)
Old Sep 9, 2009, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miles_navigator
Is there any way to look at the seat maps of the same flight a few days earlier to see if you get the next gen Biz class seats. I got them on a MIA to EWR run mid day and was pleasantly surprised! ^
Of course you can look at them for the same flight a few days earlier, just use the procedure FWAAA described. However, it will tell you absolutely nothing about the flight you are on a few days later.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by FWAAA
On aa.com, go to Reservations -> View Available Seats and enter the flight number, date and class of service, etc. You'll get to see the front cabin and the configuration. I can live with an exit row window on LAX-BOS redeye with an eyeshade, foam earplugs and BOSE headphones and iPod soft music (foam earplugs block noise - without them, no way for me to sleep).
Thanks for the information! Huge help. Well, as the flight is departing tonight, and the only available seat at the front of the bus is 5F, I think my chances as a PLT of requesting an upgrade now and actually getting it are somewhere between slim and none.

Originally Posted by StrandedinSC
Are you heading for EXP?

If so, burn the stickers. They'll soon enough be (next to) useless.

If not, How many are you sitting on?

I don't really think it matters. If you have them, burn them on a transcon unless you're planning to go to Hawai'i or ANC soon.
Nah, I'm no where near EXP. Unlikely I'll even earn PLT this year despite the DBEQM promotions (don't travel nearly as much as I used to). I'm going to earn gold though.

Originally Posted by TigerWould
It depends on your mission, if you have nothing to do once you arrive, coach is fine. If u need to be rested upon arrival, upgrade would be cool. Back in the day when I was Plat, I would ask for an empty row and block the 2 seats next to me. A few pillows and blankets would make me sleep like a baby.
Unfortunately, this is but a connecting flight, where 2.5 hours later I board a puddle jumper to YYZ. Not my preferred itinerary, but, booked it at the last moment (we can't really predict very far in advance when we need to attend a family members funeral).

I would prefer to be a bit more rested upon arrival, but, doubt it'll make a huge difference between exit row and 5F, and I am not really sitting on many stickers these days anyway.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 3:41 pm

LAS-MIA is not an AFS routes.

AFS routes - those between SEA/SFO/LAX/SAN-BOS/NYC/WAS/MIA - have meal service on redeyes, although its not at all a "meal," more of a snack. Typically a cheese/fruit plate, and maybe something else. I haven't been on a redeye in forever. Whats the AFS food on redeyes nowadays?
LAX-MIA redeyes always have a 2nd entree besides fruit and cheese---lately, it's been a really good tuna steak served cold. Such a pleasant contrast to DL, which serves nothing at all on domestic red-eyes except Biscoff cookies...(but DL has much better IFE---can't have it all!)
Old Sep 9, 2009, 5:24 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Crazy4Birds
.(but DL has much better IFE---can't have it all!)
Handheld media players, as distributed on the 763 trans-con flights, should be rolled out to MIA-LAX 757/738 flights in 3-6 months. Still not live TV, but its something.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 5:27 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Still not live TV, but its something.
Yes. Something better.

Cheers.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Crazy4Birds
lately, it's been a really good tuna steak served cold.
Hmmm....I can't imagine AA serves its tuna steak anything less than fully cooked. Which means, IMHO, that it can't possibly be "really good" or even just plain ol' good. But since I haven't tasted it, I guess I'll have to defer judgment...
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Hmmm....I can't imagine AA serves its tuna steak anything less than fully cooked. Which means, IMHO, that it can't possibly be "really good" or even just plain ol' good. But since I haven't tasted it, I guess I'll have to defer judgment...
OK, I suppose I should have said 'really good for airline food'---and the side dishes went well with fully cooked fish! If given the choice (like JL or SQ F), I'll take my tuna as sashimi, thank you! I just really appreciate AA taking the effort to cater these red-eyes, as opposed to some of the competition...
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:11 pm

Thumbs up

Handheld media players, as distributed on the 763 trans-con flights, should be rolled out to MIA-LAX 757/738 flights in 3-6 months. Still not live TV, but its something.
^---as a regular on these flights, that is really good news!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.