Wiki Posts
Search

Do FA's know I'm PLT?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2009, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Do FA's know I'm PLT?

I'm on AA flt 20 right now (SFO->JFK, on a 762, using the free wifi in the sky promotion), in Coach. They're handing out earphones, and I thought they said they were $2 for a pair. But then the FA just handed me one. Is it because she knew I was PLT? Or did I mishear and on this flight they're complimentary? Or did my boyish good looks sway another lass?
Old Aug 6, 2009, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPGold, DL Gold Medallion, Avis Presidential, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by metzby
I'm on AA flt 20 right now (SFO->JFK, on a 762, using the free wifi in the sky promotion), in Coach. They're handing out earphones, and I thought they said they were $2 for a pair. But then the FA just handed me one. Is it because she knew I was PLT? Or did I mishear and on this flight they're complimentary? Or did my boyish good looks sway another lass?
FAs have a passenger manifest that lists passenger names and elite status. Many FAs don't know much about status levels, and can't really tell you the diff between a PLT and an EXP (for example).

I can't imagine your free headphones has anything to do with this, but it's possible.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 5:13 pm

Ask her! Maybe you'll get a date out of it.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
I'm sure it's because you are sooo swaavvey and deboner!
Old Aug 6, 2009, 5:21 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
You could slap the palm of one hand with the back of the other hand a few times and ask her if she knows who you are...
Old Aug 6, 2009, 5:44 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Yes, the FA knows you're PLAT and that is probably why you got free headphones.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Does the FA know you're PLT ? Only if she checked the manifest up in FC (which is probably not likely if you're in coach)

Does the FA care that you're PLT ? Absolutely not.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Could she not have seen you board first (in the EXP/Plt or even Group 1)? Everytime I board, I say hello to the staff since I'm one of the first on the plane. It's pretty easy for them to remember the first few people who come on? I highly doubt FA's check the manifest!!!!

In first, I remember when they used to carry the manifest and greet you at your seat by your last name. Of course, I have a Russian-German last name so it always got butchered like nobody's business, but that was the only time I've ever seen an FA really looking at a manifest. I can't remember seeing that in over 5 years.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by BrianV
Could she not have seen you board first (in the EXP/Plt or even Group 1)? Everytime I board, I say hello to the staff since I'm one of the first on the plane. It's pretty easy for them to remember the first few people who come on? I highly doubt FA's check the manifest!!!!
While not always greeted by name during pre-boarding, I can't remember a recent trip in memory domestic or international F in which I was not greeted by name when first approach by the FA for whatever reason (whether a pre-departure drink, a greeting on-board, etc.).
Old Aug 6, 2009, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by MAH4546
While not always greeted by name during pre-boarding, I can't remember a recent trip in memory domestic or international F in which I was not greeted by name when first approach by the FA for whatever reason (whether a pre-departure drink, a greeting on-board, etc.).
I didn't mean pre-boarding, I meant when taking my food order. Maybe because majority of my time is on S80s. You being out of LAX may be on bigger birds with larger crews. My experience on short haul upgrades for the past 5 years is that my name hasn't been used (that I can recall).

I've never been met in pre-boarding with a personalized greeting.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Could she not have seen you board first (in the EXP/Plt or even Group 1)?
Not everybody who gets on the airplane first is EXP/Plat.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Does the FA care that you're PLT ? Absolutely not.
Care? In terms of sleeping with him after the flight, you're right, she probably doesn't care. Who does? But in terms of service, I've noticed a number of FAs that at least pretend to care.

On a PIT-ORD Eagle flight, the FA served me my drink of choice first even though I was in row 13, because of PLT status. On mainline, stuck back in row 21 one afternoon, an attendant gave me two cups of coffee without me even asking because she "knows [I] like coffee". Very true, and greatly appreciated. (I think she thought my eeepc was cute, actually )

So this may not be "caring", but it's also not "the minimum required effort to not get immediately canned" either. I do think some people honestly care about doing a good job... and if not, they are great actors.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:11 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by jrockway
On a PIT-ORD Eagle flight, the FA served me my drink of choice first even though I was in row 13, because of PLT status. On mainline, stuck back in row 21 one afternoon, an attendant gave me two cups of coffee without me even asking because she "knows [I] like coffee". Very true, and greatly appreciated. (I think she thought my eeepc was cute, actually )
On American Eagle flights, they do notice and care that you have elite status. The FAs make a definite effort to greet you by name and offer free drinks and snacks.

I don't think I want AA tracking my drinking habits.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by jrockway
Care? In terms of sleeping with him after the flight, you're right, she probably doesn't care. Who does? But in terms of service, I've noticed a number of FAs that at least pretend to care.

So this may not be "caring", but it's also not "the minimum required effort to not get immediately canned" either. I do think some people honestly care about doing a good job... and if not, they are great actors.
And that is why they sleep with you after a flight? to show they care?
Old Aug 7, 2009, 2:48 am

I didn't mean pre-boarding, I meant when taking my food order. Maybe because majority of my time is on S80s. You being out of LAX may be on bigger birds with larger crews. My experience on short haul upgrades for the past 5 years is that my name hasn't been used (that I can recall).

I've never been met in pre-boarding with a personalized greeting.
It might be because of the equipment. I'm almost always on widebodies and 757s. Typically the trans-con flights include a pre-boarding greeting by name. Though yesterday on ORD-MIA, I was greeted by name during pre-boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.