Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do FA's know I'm PLT?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2009, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Getting called by name in F/J for me has been about 50/50 (just about the same average for pre departure drinks.) I think it is a nice touch by FAs.

With the headseats, possibly the hassle of swiping a cc/dc for a lousy $2 was too much for the FA or the cc machine was malfunctioning. But maybe the FA thought the OP was hot. Like said by other posters, most FAs don't really have the time to review manifests and few care (or even know) about elite status.

I do know that FAs are advised of any concierge paxs on board. Weird story last spring I was flying ORD/LGA and I overheard the GA telling the F FA that a concierge was seated in 13A. But there was still open seats in F (only about half full). Would not a concierge pax be upgraded if F seats were available?
Old Aug 7, 2009, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Flying out of BDL, a great number of my trips are on MD80s as well. When I am in back they almost always know I am an EXP and do treat me a little better.

I have even had free drinks given to me when sitting in row 20.

They are always friendly but I never actually thought it was simply because they want me. Who knew?
Old Aug 7, 2009, 7:45 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MAH4546
While not always greeted by name during pre-boarding, I can't remember a recent trip in memory domestic or international F in which I was not greeted by name when first approach by the FA for whatever reason (whether a pre-departure drink, a greeting on-board, etc.).
Normally, I'd agree with you. However, this year has been spurned a few great outliers for me... On an international J flight, I had a great FA who addressed everyone on his side of the cabin by Mr./Ms./Mrs. throughout the entire flight. He was personable and kind without being creepy or sounding like a greasy used car salesman. ^

I've also had one domestic leg where the FA greeted every F passenger by Mr./Ms./Mrs. during pre-departure bevs (which I've seen every once in a while). But she surprised me by continuing to address everyone by name throughout the flight (without ever referring back to the manifest or a cheat sheet). ^
Old Aug 7, 2009, 8:00 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Does the FA care that you're PLT ? Absolutely not.
They seem to on Eagle. Dont even have to ask for a free glass of wine anymore.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by gemac
Not everybody who gets on the airplane first is EXP/Plat.
I think it's obvious. Pre-boarding occurs before F and usually has wheelchairs, elderly, children, etc. Then F boards. Then a wave of 4-5 EXP/PLT board and based on their mannerisms and matter of fact attitude it's pretty easy to assume who's boarding.

Like I mentioned, I always greet the purser as well as the FA that waits nicely at the F/Y bulkhead (if I don't upgrade). At this point in the boarding, that FA is more or less standing there greeting people since there aren't any issues in the relatively empty Y cabin yet.

I've found that usually if I make a special request (two waters or "can I get a beer ASAP on this flight"), that I'm accommodated. Example, I asked for a beer during boarding. Within seconds of the FAs getting out of their seat at 10k feet, she immediately delivered me a beer (of course I had to pay for it), but it was one of her first tasks when she got up. I appreciated it and felt it was because she knew I was an elite and I was friendly and polite.

I'm not saying this is the case for the OP, but I think FAs can pretty easily pick out the first few, friendly EXP/PLTs that board in the EXP/PLT group (I won't say the same for Group 1 as that's usually a large group and I think it contains non Gold fliers.).

Cheers,
Brian
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
It might be because of the equipment. I'm almost always on widebodies and 757s. Typically the trans-con flights include a pre-boarding greeting by name. Though yesterday on ORD-MIA, I was greeted by name during pre-boarding.
Yeah, I should've clarified my original statement as my flights to NRT, FRA, and LHR in J have had a 50/50 or so greeting by name. However, on domestic service which for me is almost always S80 or short haul 757, I can't remember it happening once in the last 5 years (hundreds of flights).
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by janetdoe
On American Eagle flights, they do notice and care that you have elite status. The FAs make a definite effort to greet you by name and offer free drinks and snacks.
Originally Posted by Danwriter
I haven't found this to be consistent on Eagle flights.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:10 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
I haven't found this to be consistent on Eagle flights.
We're always in the exit row on Eagle. We get greeted with "Are you willing to help in case of emergency." And that's very consistent

Cheers.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by Danwriter
I often sit in 1A on Eagle where I see the FA check the manifest and write the names and seat numbers of EXP and PLT on a napkin so he/she can greet them and given them free stuff. Since there's no equivalent benefit for mainline coach, there's no point to them noting the elite status of Y pax.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:39 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
On American Eagle flights, they do notice and care that you have elite status. The FAs make a definite effort to greet you by name and offer free drinks and snacks.
Even this is hit/miss. One recent leg on AE I was treated like joe schmo. On the return leg of the same trip, there were 5 elites on board and we were all treated like royalty...multiple free drinks, free snacks, greeting by name, etc...

Definitely DON'T get any special treatment on mainline AA...at least not yet.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
(posted previously elsewhere, but seems to bear repeating)

I was offered a free drink on a FRA-DFW flight (an MR seg) riding in Y. When I accepted the offer she slid me an extra bottle of vodka to "use later."

Data points:

-I am as cute as your average 49 yo with snow on the roof.
-I was a PLT at the time
-By my hair cut it is obvious that I am military. (not wanting to open that can of worms)
-No one else arounf me was offered the same.

So for one reason or another I got a couple of free drinks from one FA. And she did greet me by name. (and she was cute )

EDIT: And during the 1st seg of my return leg of the same MR (BOS-LAX-ORD-FRA) the FA offered me a bottle of wine to take home to Mrs Gamecock, I was in Y. She was intrigued at the idea of MRs.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, 1MM
BDL MD 80's?

Originally Posted by Thumper
Flying out of BDL, a great number of my trips are on MD80s as well. When I am in back they almost always know I am an EXP and do treat me a little better.

I have even had free drinks given to me when sitting in row 20.

They are always friendly but I never actually thought it was simply because they want me. Who knew?
Been a while since I've seen or been on an MD-80 out of BDL -- Are they still flying them from BDL? -- As for the ORD Regional Jet (formerly an MD80) run I'll confirm from recent experience that the FA's have been looking at name and status and been taking very good care of this Plat.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:30 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by twofly19
Been a while since I've seen or been on an MD-80 out of BDL -- Are they still flying them from BDL? -- As for the ORD Regional Jet (formerly an MD80) run I'll confirm from recent experience that the FA's have been looking at name and status and been taking very good care of this Plat.
Looks like no MD80s at BDL currently.

Today's schedule (8/7/09) ex-BDL consists of the following flights

DFW - 3x738
MIA - 3X738
SJU - 1X738
ORD - 3XER4
RDU - 3XERD
Old Aug 7, 2009, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
While not always greeted by name during pre-boarding, I can't remember a recent trip in memory domestic or international F in which I was not greeted by name when first approach by the FA for whatever reason (whether a pre-departure drink, a greeting on-board, etc.).
Wow. It's far less than 50% for me, even in 767 international J. Way less on narrowbody domestic.

Originally Posted by jrockway
On a PIT-ORD Eagle flight, the FA served me my drink of choice first even though I was in row 13, because of PLT status. On mainline, stuck back in row 21 one afternoon, an attendant gave me two cups of coffee without me even asking because she "knows [I] like coffee". Very true, and greatly appreciated. (I think she thought my eeepc was cute, actually )
Had you flown with that FA a lot? I'm wondering how she knew you liked two cups of coffee. Maybe you're Concierge Key and it's noted in your profile?

Maybe for longer Eagle flights, but in my experience not so much on the SAN-LAX hops.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I'm convinced they know status (rather, can find out status if they have time & desire). Flew last week MIA to PIT, small regional jet. I'm PLAT and was seated in the emergency exit row. When beverage service started, FA came midway down the plane to me first to take my drink order, greeted me by name, then after bringing my drink, started service for everyone else from the front of the cabin working backwards. Can't think of any other reason for the FA to have done this other than status. Nice touch

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.