Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SN "Privilege" FFP ending Oct 24, 2009 - no more AA miles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2009, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by photodave
SN isn't part of the OneWorld alliance. They are/were (until October the 24th I suppose) merely an AA Partner airline.

This move has no effect whatsoever on perceived global coverage (or the lack of it) on the part of OneWorld.
OW bases FF credit on the airline that sells a ticket, regardless of who operates the aircraft. To the extent that SN code-shares with AA they are a oneWorld airline for many purposes. If they no longer will, their flights will no longer count as OW flights. That's what this thread is about: if you read the first post, it's about earning miles and status on AA's SN code-shares. Nobody here has suggested that SN as an airline is a OW member.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:01 am

What happens to those already ticketed on AA codeshare flights operated by SN Brussels after the cutoff date? I have a friend who is flying AA TXL-BRU-ORD-DSM in December. She needs the 500 EQM for the TXL-BRU AA flight to retain Platinum status. Will AA actually change the ticket so that the TXL-BRU flight is shown as an SN Brussels flight number? In that case, will AA allow her to re-route through LHR with no charge so that she can keep it an all AA itinerary?
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:14 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by dogcanyon
What happens to those already ticketed on AA codeshare flights operated by SN Brussels after the cutoff date? I have a friend who is flying AA TXL-BRU-ORD-DSM in December. She needs the 500 EQM for the TXL-BRU AA flight to retain Platinum status. Will AA actually change the ticket so that the TXL-BRU flight is shown as an SN Brussels flight number? In that case, will AA allow her to re-route through LHR with no charge so that she can keep it an all AA itinerary?
Keep watching here http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...lsAirlines.jsp
If I'm not mistaken, the above announcement is from SN's FF program. AA has not said when they will stop giving miles on AA-coded SN flights.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:52 am

This earlier post indicated that there would be no more AA codeshares after 24 Oct 09, so that's why I was concerned.

Originally Posted by billgrates3
Very bad news, in particular, to those of us who have flown AA/SN codeshares BRU to/from African destinations. No more AA codeshares after 24-Oct.09
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:23 am

Programs: My views are strictly my own and do not reflect the views of any company.
Huh???

This posting is incorrect. The partnership between AA and SN is still valid, nor has AA or SN announced any such dissolution of it.
It's my opinion that the OP has confused his message and should call SN to clarify.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:43 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Why October 24th?
If this posting is correct, then my guess is that this date may have been chosen for *A scheduling considerations since that is also the date CO leaves Sky Team and joins *A.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Efrem
OW bases FF credit on the airline that sells a ticket, regardless of who operates the aircraft. To the extent that SN code-shares with AA they are a oneWorld airline for many purposes. If they no longer will, their flights will no longer count as OW flights. That's what this thread is about: if you read the first post, it's about earning miles and status on AA's SN code-shares. Nobody here has suggested that SN as an airline is a OW member.
No, I don't believe that's true. You will more than likely not get AsiaMiles or IberiaPlus points for flying an SN flight, even if it's issued as an AA codeshare. (You will get BAEC miles, however, because BA has its own partnership with SN).

Generally speaking, you can't earn mileage with a "second degree" partner, irrespective of codeshare arrangements.

If SN does in fact end its partnership with AA, it's a devaluation of the AAdvantage program, not the OneWorld alliance.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Sad to see SN gone. I hope AA can find a replacement partner soon for codeshares to Africa.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
And what percentage of the world's GDP do the countries represented by those cities account for? Just call me a pragmatic.
Going OT, we never know what might happen in the few decades. 60 years ago, Japan was reduced to ashes only to come back to life in a relatively short amount of time. And only 50 years ago, South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong used to be considered as back-country. 20 years ago China and India used to be in that position and although they still have a long way to go, they are making progress to becoming an economically stable country.

So who knows? Once China and India gets too expensive to make our stuff, the new "China" could be Africa.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We have had a management level employee from American Airlines state that the Oct 24 termination of all partnership relationships between AA and SN is incorrect information - Privilege will indeed become part of LH Miles and More effective 24 Oct, 2009, but that the partnerships with SN and AA will continue after that date.

Until such time as AA or SN - Brussels Airlines responds to our queries with verifiable information, this thread will reopen on the assumption Privilege will end, not the partnership (including codeshares) between SN and AA (for now - thinking of Turkish and Swiss might easily lead us to believe the relationship may be altered in the future.)

Thank you for your information and understanding.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 25, 2009 at 7:04 am Reason: modified and updated
Old Jul 25, 2009, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Quote:
Does SN fly somewhere in Africa that IB or BA doesn't?

Abidjan, Banjul, Conakry, Duoala, Freetown, Kigali, Kinshasa, Monrovia, and Yaoundé.
Believe it or not, I have flown SN to 3 of those cities, plus DKR, EBB and NBO. Two of my colleagues have flown to all the others, except Yaoundé, Cameroon (I have been to Yaoundé by ground transport from Douala).
Strangely, I have never flown SN to any European destination.

Last edited by billgrates3; Jul 25, 2009 at 11:15 am
Old Jul 25, 2009, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by billgrates3
Believe it or not, I have flown SN to 3 of those cities, plus DKR, EBB and NBO. Two of my colleagues have flown to all the others, except Yaoundé, Cameroon (I have been to Yaoundé by ground transport from Douala).
We'll, I'd make a wild guess and say that there aren't all that many others like you and your colleagues...
Old Jul 25, 2009, 8:32 pm

We'll, I'd make a wild guess and say that there aren't all that many others like you and your colleagues...
More than you might think. Lots of oil business in that area. I, for one, have taken SN from DLA to BRU. Great airline. Wish AA could have done their NGBC seats like SN business, instead of the cheap, high impact plastic they are made of!
Old Jul 26, 2009, 3:27 am

Programs: QR platinum
codeshares SN - AA (BRU- ORD & BRU - JFK) can still be booked untill end march 2010; guess the codeshares will end starting april 2010 but for the african destinations codeshares still available after march 2010

Last edited by beepee; Jul 26, 2009 at 7:37 am
Old Jul 26, 2009, 3:41 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by beepee
codeshares SN - AA (BRU- ORD & BRU - JFK) can still be booked untill end march 2010; guess the codeshares will end starting april 2010 but for the african destinations codeshares still available
The codeshare will be in place indefinitely. AA and SN have simply not synced past the winter timetable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.