SN "Privilege" FFP ending Oct 24, 2009 - no more AA miles

Old Jul 23, 09, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
EDITED: SN "Privilege" FFP ending Oct 24, 2009 - no more AA miles?

This is possibly bad news, in particular to those of us who have flown AA/SN codeshares BRU to/from African destinations.

I originally thought that the email I received from SN meant "No more AA codeshares after 24-Oct.09", however, I suspect that, while that may happen eventually due to SN becoming part of LH, for now AA codeshares will continue to exist after Oct.24th.

If those codeshares were to go away, my colleagues who are OW elites and I might never again attain EXP status, and maybe not even PLT (sobbing quietly in background). We have been counting on the 20k EQMs that we have been getting for our frequent trips from SFO to African destinations. (We work for an NGO that provides technical advice, training and equipment for internet access and computing to clinics and schools, using small business partners in rural areas) I will be 2MM PLT soon, so it doesn't affect me as much, but several of my colleagues may switch to *A or Skyteam if the AA-SN partnership were to end.

The following from the privilege email list on 7/23:

Privilege to end partnerships on
October 24, 2009

Dear Mr. Grates3,

Reflecting our integration into Lufthansa's 'Miles & More' program from the end of October, Privilege will be ending all partnerships with ground and air partners on October 24, 2009. These include:

Ground partners Ground partners Air partners
American Express Membership Rewards Point Plus Delhaize American Airlines
Avis Privilege Wine Club British Airways
Chic Outlet Shopping Villages Proximus Etihad
Europcar Sixt Finnair
Hertz Sky Shops Hainan
Hilton The Economist Jet Airways
InterContinental Hotels Group The Rezidor Hotel Group Malmö Aviation
Language Direct Travelling Connect
Marriott International Inc. World Hotels
Mobistar

Collect miles with partners up to and including October 24, 2009

You can collect miles with all the above partners up to and including October 24, 2009. From that date you'll then have until April 24, 2010 to claim any 'missing miles' not credited to your account.

Yours sincerely,

The Privilege Team

Last edited by billgrates3; Jul 25, 09 at 11:59 am
Old Jul 23, 09, 8:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Arrow

N.B. Since the original posting we have made some modifications: it appears, from some unofficial management contact from AA, that SN / Brussels Airlines "Privilege" FFP will be terminated and absorbed into Lufthansa's "Miles and More" FFP October 24, 2009, but that for some undetermined time, other forms of airline collaboration (e.g. codeshares with American Airlines and others,) will probably continue for now, albeit for an undefined length of time.

As we hear more from SN and AA (we have made inquiries to both) we will update this thread. For now, all we can be certain of is that we will not be able to earn AAdvantage RDM miles on SN / Brussels Airlines (unless we fly an AA codeshare, in which case it will be as always, we earn EQ and RDM in accordance with AA earning criteria.)

Be aware some of the posts below refer to the belief all relationships between SN and AA will end October 24, but this is apparently not likely at this time. Thanks for reading and replying carefully.

/Moderator

(My original post: We had a feeling this would happen with the new LH relationship, and it has now almost come to fruition. Thanks for sharing the sad news.)

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 25, 09 at 8:17 am Reason: add two paragraphs
Old Jul 23, 09, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA-1MM, AS, US, BA, UA, AGR-Select
This is crap news indeed. Much of my flying has already moved over to Skyteam due to poor Oneworld/AA codeshare coverage in Africa (BA, IB and RJ). Star has LX, LH, SA, TK and MS and Skyteam has KQ, KL, AF, DL. If only Oneworld could steal away ET!
Old Jul 23, 09, 10:47 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Why October 24th?

Sad to see the loss of SN from an AA perspective but why did they choose 10/24? (I ask as this is also the date CO is set to exit SkyTeam and it just find it interesting that SN & LH are opting to transition on the same date.)

Any insights or am I just reading too much into this?
Old Jul 23, 09, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA PLT (MR Gld; Hertz PC), AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT GLD, GP Plt, Mets fan.
Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
Sad to see the loss of SN from an AA perspective but why did they choose 10/24? (I ask as this is also the date CO is set to exit SkyTeam and it just find it interesting that SN & LH are opting to transition on the same date.)

Isn't the last Sunday of October (10/25) typically the first day of seasonal schedule changes? If so, then the day before would also be the day to change alliances, etc...since so many other things are in flux.
Old Jul 23, 09, 10:52 pm

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post

That's the day when SN is fully integrated into LH - including transfer into Miles and More as the FF program... This was announced in January
Old Jul 23, 09, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Me very sad . I use to do the AA/SN BRU transfer a lot to THF and now TXL. It was so much better than using LHR (and fewer $$$ in taxes and fees). Oh well, I knew this day would come, like it did with LX.
Old Jul 23, 09, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does SN fly somewhere in Africa that IB or BA doesn't? I understand many believe BRU is a better place to connect than LHR (though my one experience in BRU does not corroborate -- very long walks and long re-clearance lines), but is this that much of a loss?
Old Jul 24, 09, 12:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Does SN fly somewhere in Africa that IB or BA doesn't?
Abidjan, Banjul, Conakry, Duoala, Freetown, Kigali, Kinshasa, Monrovia, and Yaoundé.
Old Jul 24, 09, 12:16 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Does SN fly somewhere in Africa that IB or BA doesn't? I understand many believe BRU is a better place to connect than LHR (though my one experience in BRU does not corroborate -- very long walks and long re-clearance lines), but is this that much of a loss?
yeah, haven't used them myself but SN served many somewhat obscure former colonial capitals in sub-Saharan Africa like those in Congo, Cameroon, etc. Definitely not served by BA. If you go to AA.com and look at the route map for Africa, pretty much all the codeshares destinations aside from South Africa are SN.
Old Jul 24, 09, 5:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.1MM, SPG Gold
That stinks. Looks like they are also ending partnership with Jet - that's really going to hurt its BRU feeder pax.

Flying SN from BCN-BRU and AA onward to JFK next week. The AA BCN-JFK flight was too $$$.

Sad to see another europe connection option bite the dust and to see Africa destinations axed.

I was BA had bought them...
Old Jul 24, 09, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by CO FF View Post
Isn't the last Sunday of October (10/25) typically the first day of seasonal schedule changes? If so, then the day before would also be the day to change alliances, etc...since so many other things are in flux.
That, in turn, is because it's the last day of summer time in Europe. (The U.S. doesn't change back to standard time until a week later. Most of the southern hemisphere, if it uses summer time, goes onto it earlier - on various dates from Sept. 6th on.)
Old Jul 24, 09, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
Abidjan, Banjul, Conakry, Duoala, Freetown, Kigali, Kinshasa, Monrovia, and Yaoundé.
Well, just call me "W", I've never heard of any of those cities.
(Were these cities AA codeshares as well? Otherwise I don't think it would have mattered)
Old Jul 24, 09, 9:23 am

Programs: BAGold,AA3MMPlat,UA1MMGold,FBSilver,MarriottAmb,AccorPlat,HHGold,ICPlatAmb, HyattDiscoverist
This just further shrinks the already less-than-global (or of its competitors) coverage of OneWorld. Maybe it should be renamed HalfWorld.
Old Jul 24, 09, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by rfrost View Post
This just further shrinks the already less-than-global (or of its competitors) coverage of OneWorld. Maybe it should be renamed HalfWorld.
SN isn't part of the OneWorld alliance. They are/were (until October the 24th I suppose) merely an AA Partner airline.

This move has no effect whatsoever on perceived global coverage (or the lack of it) on the part of OneWorld.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: