Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA98 ORD-LHR departs 9:45p.m. -- Dinner in First?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2012, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
I like the late flights to LHR because it increases the likelihood that I'll actually sleep on the flight. (I generally have not problem sleeping on planes, but if the departure is too early, I do have a hard time falling asleep.) So my strategy on these flights is to eat before departure -- preferably at home or at a restaurant, but at the airport or an airport club if necessary -- and then put the eye mask on and try to go to sleep promptly after takeoff. That way, I maximize sleep and it doesn't matter what AA (or BA) serves in F. Of course YMMV; I know there are lots of FTer who would never dream of sitting in international F and sleep through the slop that will be served them.
My strategy is the same. Whether it's a nice restaurant in town or even a pastrami on a onion roll from my favorite deli, it is far superior to what BA or AA can serve, no matter how sexy they try to make the food sound in the menus.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: AA, SQ
I've flown both AA98 and 80 and both times I felt like the usual AA dinner were served. FYI - AA80 was operated by a 767-300 when I took it last month.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by riteshraja
To stay competitive?
My understanding is that few passengers in the F cabin on AA's international routes actually pay the quoted F fare. Instead, AA fills the seats with a mix of corporate travelers, etc. flying on heavily discounted negotiated fares, frequent flyer upgraders, award users, etc.

If you are actually an independent traveler forced to pay the standard, publicly disclosed rates, it rarely makes sense to fly AA in a premium cabin when given a reasonable option offered by most foreign-flagged carriers at roughly the same (or cheaper) price.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
This flight is not long enough for me to eat the food served on board and then sleep. I agree that eating elsewhere is a very good idea.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, United Mileage Plus silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
This flight is not long enough for me to eat the food served on board and then sleep. I agree that eating elsewhere is a very good idea.
I dont believe AA has too many flights that are long enough to be forced to eat any food that they serve. I am usually happy with the warm nuts and a scotch and then going to sleep)

Eat well before boarding (and dont count on the flagship lounge to fill you up .... )
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP - CK, DL PM, *Wood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Agree with what has been said - I am trying to move to the earlier flight, esp since this flight is notorisouly late into LHR.

Is AA Flagship First better than Int'l Business on a 767 (aside from the flat vs semi-flat seat)?
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by ckg1999
Is AA Flagship First better than Int'l Business on a 767 (aside from the flat vs semi-flat seat)?
Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

For me, Flagship F is all about the seat. I couldn't care less about any difference in food or other onboard service. If you don't otherwise have access, being able to access the Flagship lounge before departure is a nice benefit of F.
The key difference, however, between international F and J is that in F you get a much more comfortable seat. That and that alone is what makes it worthwhile for me.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
I know there are lots of FTer who would never dream of sitting in international F and sleep through the slop that will be served them.
<<RIGHT HERE!!>> When I fly, it's almost always for leisure (yes, I DO work, but just don't have to fly with my job), and I AM an airline nerd/enthusiast, so I & others like me enjoy the whole dog & pony show!! Love to compare & contrast the seats, a/c, service, glasses, plates, silverware, etc between carriers & a/c.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP - CK, DL PM, *Wood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks all! Looking forward to it.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsupstate
<<RIGHT HERE!!>> When I fly, it's almost always for leisure (yes, I DO work, but just don't have to fly with my job), and I AM an airline nerd/enthusiast, so I & others like me enjoy the whole dog & pony show!! Love to compare & contrast the seats, a/c, service, glasses, plates, silverware, etc between carriers & a/c.
Not sure what flying for leisure and being an airline enthusiast has to do with it.

Tuesday night, this airline enthusiast was flying BOS-NYC-LHR for leisure. I flew BOS-LGA on US, had my wife pick me up at the airport, drove together to London Lennie's an old-school seafood restaurant in Queens, between LGA and JFK, and had a wonderful lobster dinner, and then had her drop me at JFK for my flight to LHR. I got on the plane, passed over a dinner that could not possibly have compared to the lobster dinner I just ate, and went right to sleep. I woke, well rested, just before landing in London. In my mind, that is a great flight, and that is why I like to fly F.

Similarly, I just flew LHR-SIN in F in a QF A380. I slept for 10 hours of the 12-hour flight. Didn't eat a thing except toast and coffee just before landing. It was a wonderful flight. And being well rested helps me enjoy the rest of the trip.

I understand the enthusiasm for the whole dog-and-pony show, but I certainly don't understand the emphasis placed on airline food. Look at the discussions on this board of domestic upgrades. There are many non-EXPs on this board who claim they will not upgrade on flights where there is no meal service. Talk about an irrational economic decision: the decision on whether to spend $50 (or whatever it costs) to upgrade is dependent on whether you get a $5 meal?!?!
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by holmedown
I have taken this flight twice this year - January and March and both times had the "normal" full dinner - salad course and then entre of beef or chicken or fish or vegitarian, followed by either cheese & biscuits or Ice cream and brownie
I have taken that flight 5 days ago and I can confirm it was a full dinner meal service.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Not sure what flying for leisure and being an airline enthusiast has to do with it.

Tuesday night, this airline enthusiast was flying BOS-NYC-LHR for leisure. I flew BOS-LGA on US, had my wife pick me up at the airport, drove together to London Lennie's an old-school seafood restaurant in Queens, between LGA and JFK, and had a wonderful lobster dinner, and then had her drop me at JFK for my flight to LHR. I got on the plane, passed over a dinner that could not possibly have compared to the lobster dinner I just ate, and went right to sleep. I woke, well rested, just before landing in London. In my mind, that is a great flight, and that is why I like to fly F.

Similarly, I just flew LHR-SIN in F in a QF A380. I slept for 10 hours of the 12-hour flight. Didn't eat a thing except toast and coffee just before landing. It was a wonderful flight. And being well rested helps me enjoy the rest of the trip.

I understand the enthusiasm for the whole dog-and-pony show, but I certainly don't understand the emphasis placed on airline food. Look at the discussions on this board of domestic upgrades. There are many non-EXPs on this board who claim they will not upgrade on flights where there is no meal service. Talk about an irrational economic decision: the decision on whether to spend $50 (or whatever it costs) to upgrade is dependent on whether you get a $5 meal?!?!
Being an enthusiast/nerd means you get waaay into things like inflight service, etc and really enjoy it... Didn't think I'd have to explain that(?)
Old Jun 29, 2012, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got on the plane, passed over a dinner that could not possibly have compared to the lobster dinner I just ate, and went right to sleep. I woke, well rested, just before landing in London. In my mind, that is a great flight, and that is why I like to fly F.
To be fair, there are a lot of people who can do that just as well in J. (And somewhat fewer in PE or even Y )

But the way you describe your flying, it does not seem like there's much of a rationale for F over J, particularly on some of the better J products (of which AA is not one).
Old Jun 29, 2012, 6:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As Western Airlines' Wally Bird used to say, the onnnnly way to fly!

Old Jun 30, 2012, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsupstate
Being an enthusiast/nerd means you get waaay into things like inflight service, etc and really enjoy it... Didn't think I'd have to explain that(?)
Silly me. I thought I was an airline enthusiast, but I guess I can't be because I don't get excited about the crap food airlines serve. Silly me.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
To be fair, there are a lot of people who can do that just as well in J. (And somewhat fewer in PE or even Y )

But the way you describe your flying, it does not seem like there's much of a rationale for F over J, particularly on some of the better J products (of which AA is not one).
For me, it's all about the comfort. I can sleep pretty well in J. I can sleep a lot better in F. While there's nothing wrong with getting off on the service and the food, that's not why I upgrade. Your post suggests I'm not getting my money's worth. My retort is that if you need a $5 meal (taken out of its TV dinner tin and placed on "china" of course) to make you feel like you got your money's worth when you just spent $5,000 for a premium class ticket, something's seriously wrong!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.