Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA98 ORD-LHR departs 9:45p.m. -- Dinner in First?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2009, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Pb Medallion
AA98 ORD-LHR departs 9:45p.m. -- Dinner in First?

AA98 ORD-LHR departs ORD at 9:45 p.m. My reservation says " First Class Meal: Dinner Breakfast"

Is there actually dinner served in First on such a late flight? 9:45 p.m. local ORD is quite late, not to mention the fact that it's 3:45 a.m. local time at LHR.

Thanks.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 8:14 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a "Supper" Service

Salad served with chicken, beef or seafood.
or
Steamed veggies and rice with chicken, beef, or sea food.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:17 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by HNL
It's a "Supper" Service

Salad served with chicken, beef or seafood.
or
Steamed veggies and rice with chicken, beef, or sea food.
Wow. That's not very competitive. BA certainly offers F full meal service even on later departures to LHR.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by sts603
Wow. That's not very competitive. BA certainly offers F full meal service even on later departures to LHR.
I suspect the OP chose AA for a reason other than food. Since the food didn't make a difference, what is the competitive incentive to change it?
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
I have taken this flight twice this year - January and March and both times had the "normal" full dinner - salad course and then entre of beef or chicken or fish or vegitarian, followed by either cheese & biscuits or Ice cream and brownie
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I like the late flights to LHR because it increases the likelihood that I'll actually sleep on the flight. (I generally have not problem sleeping on planes, but if the departure is too early, I do have a hard time falling asleep.) So my strategy on these flights is to eat before departure -- preferably at home or at a restaurant, but at the airport or an airport club if necessary -- and then put the eye mask on and try to go to sleep promptly after takeoff. That way, I maximize sleep and it doesn't matter what AA (or BA) serves in F. Of course YMMV; I know there are lots of FTer who would never dream of sitting in international F and sleep through the slop that will be served them.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:24 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by holmedown
I have taken this flight twice this year - January and March and both times had the "normal" full dinner - salad course and then entre of beef or chicken or fish or vegitarian, followed by either cheese & biscuits or Ice cream and brownie
It's not the normal service. The supper service does not have the appetizer cart, followed by by the dessert cart, then the entree. It's condensed and much faster. The entree comes on top of the salad.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by HNL
The entree comes on top of the salad.

HNL is being quite literal. They actually dump your choice of entree on top of the salad in the same glass bowl. (not classy at all)

It's the same "Late Night Supper" service that AA offers to/from SCL and EZE, and probably the red-eye Brazil flights as well.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mvoight
I suspect the OP chose AA for a reason other than food. Since the food didn't make a difference, what is the competitive incentive to change it?
To stay competitive?
Old Apr 22, 2009, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA (Gold)
I'm on this AA98 in coach (gasp!) next month. What's the 'dinner' like back in steerage?
Old Apr 22, 2009, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by ckiggins
I'm on this AA98 in coach (gasp!) next month. What's the 'dinner' like back in steerage?
Not to worry - same, ah, "stuff", they serve earlier, as I recall. BUT, it has been YEARS since I did that run in Y. (Yes, spoiled EXP writing...)
Old Apr 22, 2009, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by ckiggins
Last time I flew it, it was beef or chicken with noodles and a side salad. I'd take Blumie's suggestion and eat elsewhere - you'll thank yourself later.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 3:03 am

Programs: AA Plt, Air Canada Elite, USAir Silver, United Premier
Hmm... turns out I'm on this flight in a couple of weeks! Good to know...
Old Apr 23, 2009, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The abbreviated "supper" service is fine, IMHO, for these late departures to LHR (although my experience is only from JFK). I remember a number of years ago flying F JFK-LHR and like 75% of the cabin wanted the express meal so they could go to sleep. So the FAs had to do all those first and then we were halfway to London by the time they finished with the rest of us.

In any event, there's plenty to eat in the Flagship Lounge before departure, so I wouldn't worry about the abbreviated service. And, IIRC, there is still an appetizer as well as a soup (you can start with both), followed by "entree dumped on lettuce."
Old Jun 27, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP - CK, DL PM, *Wood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz President's Circle
On AA80 (9:45p DFW-LHR) in F in a month. Is this the full service (app cart, etc that I have seen on all other 'dinner' flights) dinner?

First time flying AA Intl F, so want to enjoy the full service

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.