Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

HNL / Honolulu Airport - transit time from AA gates to Inter-island Gates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2009, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton, SPG, Hyatt, Marriott

Can someone please tell me how long a walk it is from AA's gate 18 to the Interisland Gates? Thank you very much.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 1:20 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by jcwik
Can someone please tell me how long a walk it is from AA's gate 18 to the Interisland Gates? Thank you very much.
10-15 min. If laden with baggage, you can also take the Wiki Wiki ("fast", in Hawaiian) shuttle.

This walk takes you near the Admiral's Club, which is above gate 26.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Spiff
10-15 min. If laden with baggage, you can also take the Wiki Wiki ("fast", in Hawaiian) shuttle.

This walk takes you near the Admiral's Club, which is above gate 26.
Despite the name, the shuttle seems to me to take longer than walking. The walk feels good after sitting on a plane that long. For me, 10-15 minutes sounds a bit longer than it takes me, more like 5-10 minutes.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 1:30 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by gemac
Despite the name, the shuttle seems to me to take longer than walking. The walk feels good after sitting on a plane that long. For me, 10-15 minutes sounds a bit longer than it takes me, more like 5-10 minutes.
I agree; the shuttle tends to slow down the transfer.

5 min would be jogging speed, I think.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. It was hard to tell from the map. I travel very light--carry on only, so that's not a problem. It also sounded like the shuttle made you go through security. Does it? The walk should be appreciated after the flight.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by gemac

Agreed. I usually can walk it in 7-8 minutes, but that's after a transpacific flight so I have a lot of energy.

Definitely take the time to visit the Admirals Club, which has, IMHO, the second best AAngels* in the entire system and enhanced amenities over a typical domestic club, including enhanced food/snack offerings, free beer/wine, etc.

(*after AUS, of course)
Old Apr 5, 2009, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Life PLT 3MM/ NZ Gold
It depends on which interisland carrier. If Hawaian I would say about 10 minutes or maybe 15. If Aloha Island air or other small carriers it is another 10 minutes. I seem to remember that the AA club is shared with Qantas and is not close to the AA gates. It is in a different terminal location. The AA gates are 15 16 or something close to those numbers.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
been a while for me, but iirc wiki-wiki or walking BOTH require another pass through security
Old Apr 5, 2009, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by giggy
been a while for me, but iirc wiki-wiki or walking BOTH require another pass through security

Nope, the whole area is inside security. Note that if you are passing from inter-island TO the overseas terminal, you have to pass through another x-ray machine (for Agriculture inspection).
Old Apr 5, 2009, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Life PLT 3MM/ NZ Gold
Island Air and the other small airline is outside the secure area in a separate building as of my last pass through 11/08.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bnw2005
Island Air and the other small airline is outside the secure area in a separate building as of my last pass through 11/08.
Yes - IslandAir, go, Pacific Wings, and Mokulele are in the commuter terminal. That is definitely a longer walk.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 6:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The Admirals Club has an "advantage" of being closer to Hawaiian than to American gates. (I miss the old AC down gardenside - super staff!
Old Apr 6, 2009, 7:26 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Walked it last night and timed it for you. My FT mileage running family of 5 did it in 7min 43sec. YMMV
Old Apr 6, 2009, 7:31 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Oh, there was a > checkpoint. People were passing through about as fast as they walked up. Took about 22 seconds to pass. We pre remove items and place in the outer pocket of carry-on before we get to security. That way our family only has to put the carry-ons on the conveyor after the first family member passes (me). Then one of my sons places starts pushing the 1 or 2 carry-ons and the shoe bin through and then he and the others walk through. If it were not for other passengers we would always pass in less than 30 seconds.

Last edited by EasternTraveler; Apr 8, 2009 at 3:48 pm Reason: deleted security
Old Apr 6, 2009, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Well thank you for that. :-) It looks like about 10 minutes to Hawaiian from gate 18 unless I stop off at the AC. It also looks like the morning flight from SFO is usually early giving me enough time. I doubt I can beat your 7 min 43 seconds. That's pretty amazing for 5!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.