Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turnaround at FRA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Personally, I prefer MRs where I don't have to use eVIPs to upgrade, and preferably don't need my passport.... so I guess I'll stick to slightly convoluted domestic routings where I can get free upgrades to F/J.....
I'm saving my eVIPs for real business or vacation int'l travel, e.g. last year I needed and used 10.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by billgrates3
Personally, I prefer MRs where I don't have to use eVIPs to upgrade, and preferably don't need my passport.... so I guess I'll stick to slightly convoluted domestic routings where I can get free upgrades to F/J.....
I'm saving my eVIPs for real business or vacation int'l travel, e.g. last year I needed and used 10.

Can always do:
- Hawaii, which is difficult for sticker upgrades
- Alaska, which should be much easier, but flight options are very limited
- Puerto Rico, which is cheap cheap cheap if you find the right routing, BUT you are likely to be traveling part of the way on an AB6
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ESpen36
- Puerto Rico, which is cheap cheap cheap if you find the right routing, BUT you are likely to be traveling part of the way on an AB6
Have you checked the schedule lately? From San Juan, the New York flights plus one or two out of seven or so daily flights to Miami are on AB6s. The (AA) 757 is a much more common sight at SJU than the (AA) AB6.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 6:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Quick question on FRA same day MR, can the AC check me in and provide boarding pass for return or do I need to check in with an agent. If the J line in anything like some other airports, it could take awhile.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Quick question on FRA same day MR, can the AC check me in and provide boarding pass for return or do I need to check in with an agent. If the J line in anything like some other airports, it could take awhile.
AC can check you in...
Old Jan 22, 2009, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking
Have you checked the schedule lately? From San Juan, the New York flights plus one or two out of seven or so daily flights to Miami are on AB6s. The (AA) 757 is a much more common sight at SJU than the (AA) AB6.

My assumption was that the poster above wanted to avoid MIA.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
The J line in FRA has never been deeper than 3 in my experience. Of course, they have the pre-check like they do on all US bound flights out of Europe (all airlines, all classes) that wastes a bit more time before you get to check in, but all in all, AA in FRA in J is a total pleasure
Old Jan 22, 2009, 8:04 am
asl

Programs: AA EXP
A friendly agent can also check you in for the return flight FROM Frankfurt before you board the flight TO Frankfurt. Some won't (either on principle, laziness or lack of understanding), but others have no problem.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 8:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As long as you do not check baggage in, of course. Not likely on an MR, but then again, you do not know my sister.

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
AC can check you in...
Old Jan 22, 2009, 8:37 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by brp
We're going to FRA in about 3 weeks. We're breaking with tradition, though, as we're actually going to stay there

Cheers.
I did this run last weekend, but did a night there, a night in london then a night in ny. Frankfurt was sorta dead on sat night. Went to Rama and then a local bar. Have fun.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:08 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ESpen36
My assumption was that the poster above wanted to avoid MIA.
We just did customs in MIA on a return from LIM on Sunday. The only decision we had to make was which of the 6 or so customs lines, each with one person in it, we would choose. Seriously, from the time we got to the customs areas (it seems that the walk in all airports is very long, but we walk fast, so we get ahead of most of the cattle and actually like it), it was a 3 minute process.

Cheers.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: AA 1.5 Million EXP, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver, Starwood Gold, Amex Platinum
So everything confirms that it is an easy turnaround. However, you might really want to consider at least one day there. Find a cheap hotel near the Romer or the Hauptbahnhof and you can get some good food and fun in. No need for a taxi, you can take the S-bahn right to the Hauptbahnhof in about 10 minutes. We just did it in December and had a blast.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:30 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chanp
I did this run last weekend, but did a night there, a night in london then a night in ny. Frankfurt was sorta dead on sat night. Went to Rama and then a local bar. Have fun.
We're not so much bar people, so we'll look for whatever exists culturally during the day. Otherwise, just wonder around and visit beer houses (much better than regular bars in Germany )

Cheers.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by brp
We're not so much bar people, so we'll look for whatever exists culturally during the day. Otherwise, just wonder around and visit beer houses (much better than regular bars in Germany )

Cheers.
If you get bored - or actually want to plan it into your trip - Cologne can be reached by train in about an hour and a half from Frankfurt. The Cathedral is right next to the train station, as is the Romano-Germanic Museum (archaeology museum).
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:48 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
If you get bored - or actually want to plan it into your trip - Cologne can be reached by train in about an hour and a half from Frankfurt. The Cathedral is right next to the train station, as is the Romano-Germanic Museum (archaeology museum).
Thanks for the suggestion, because the German wines sure as hell aren't as good as the ones in Italy

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.