FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Turnaround at FRA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/912856-turnaround-fra.html)

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Jan 21, 2009 11:03 am

Turnaround at FRA

I am considering doing a cheap LGA/ORD/FRA same day turn MR in March. There is three hours between the incoming and then outgoing flight back to ORD. For any of you that have done FRA MRs (which appear to be fairly popular), would that be sufficient time to clear customers, recheck and hopefully grab a shower at the AC.

Also, does AA have Priority Access Security Lines at FRA, and if so, does it cut down much on the amount of time going through Security.

JJeffrey Jan 21, 2009 11:21 am

More than enough time. I did a number of FRA runs over the years when I was living in the US.

More recently, ESpen36 has a good trip report here of pretty much the exact trip you speak of...check it out...

Deltahater Jan 21, 2009 11:34 am

tons of time.... nothing to worry about.. it is even the same aircraft

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Jan 21, 2009 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 11116504)
More than enough time. I did a number of FRA runs over the years when I was living in the US.

More recently, ESpen36 has a good trip report here of pretty much the exact trip you speak of...check it out...

THANKS!:) And to Espen36, you did an amazing job of laying out the lowdown for a MR. As usual, Espen36 (along with the brp) have good information.

ESpen36 Jan 21, 2009 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 11116824)
THANKS!:) And to Espen36, you did an amazing job of laying out the lowdown for a MR. As usual, Espen36 (along with the brp) have good information.

Thanks for the kind words! The FRA run is a popular one, so I thought it would be helpful for everyone to see.

brp Jan 21, 2009 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 11117062)
Thanks for the kind words! The FRA run is a popular one, so I thought it would be helpful for everyone to see.

We're going to FRA in about 3 weeks. We're breaking with tradition, though, as we're actually going to stay there :)

Cheers.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Jan 21, 2009 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by brp (Post 11117068)
We're going to FRA in about 3 weeks. We're breaking with tradition, though, as we're actually going to stay there :)

Cheers.

brp, I would love to stay. But with "real trips" planned for Miami (South Beach), LA and Rio in the next two months there is only so much time. Unfortunately, need to work to pay for the travel bug (sorry, no trust fund baby here) and also need to get the ball rolling to requalify for EXP. So little time but so many miles to go.:eek:

GTITAN Jan 21, 2009 1:28 pm

Doing the FRA run on 2/7/09 via DFW with a quick turn next day and back to CLT via DFW. All upgraded with an EVIP. Gotta love it!

Safe Travels.

brp Jan 21, 2009 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 11117176)
brp, I would love to stay. But with "real trips" planned for Miami (South Beach), LA and Rio in the next two months there is only so much time. Unfortunately, need to work to pay for the travel bug (sorry, no trust fund baby here) and also need to get the ball rolling to requalify for EXP. So little time but so many miles to go.:eek:

Same here, although the trust fund would be nice. Fortunately, we've both been where we are long enough to have reasonable amounts of vacation time accrued. A fair bit of burn at the beginning and end of the year, and not much in summer when the weather's great here. The trip to FLL this coming weekend is literally just for the weekend :)

Cheers.

onobond Jan 21, 2009 3:04 pm

Agree with previous posters, you have time for showers at the lounge (if PLT/EXP) and shopping as well. Screens show time for walking to gate from where you stand, consider walking slightly faster for 1-3 min shorter.

Suggestion: Many men's fragrances and other articles much cheaper than LHR/BRU/CDG/MAD

SJOGuy Jan 21, 2009 4:02 pm

I take it this is a popular MR because of good fares this time of year?

ntamayo Jan 21, 2009 4:08 pm

Yes, FRA has traditionally been the low-cost MR this time of year. Also, the AC landside makes it easy to shower, eat, and check-in for the return flight. The excellent desk staff there is very familiar with these MR's.

SJOGuy Jan 21, 2009 7:59 pm

Thank you, and thank you for the trip report, ESpen36. ^

Oh, I'd have to spend at least a night there in a real bed in between those flights, but it's good to know.

KD5MDK Jan 21, 2009 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by ntamayo (Post 11118286)
Yes, FRA has traditionally been the low-cost MR this time of year. Also, the AC landside makes it easy to shower, eat, and check-in for the return flight. The excellent desk staff there is very familiar with these MR's.

Now all I'd have to figure is how best to buy the AC day pass to maximize my entrances. It's harder not being EMD or SPH. :)

Of course I'd only make the trip if AADER came back.

Deltahater Jan 21, 2009 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by KD5MDK (Post 11119680)
Now all I'd have to figure is how best to buy the AC day pass to maximize my entrances. It's harder not being EMD or SPH. :)

Of course I'd only make the trip if AADER came back.

Or use your personality and makes friends on the 8 hour flight to FRA... :)