Wiki Posts
Search

Standing by for a LATER flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2009, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Yes, there is some risk that if 23:59 rolls around and you still haven't managed to get on a flight, you would have to pay a change fee to save the remaining value of the ticket.
I am curious. Has this actually happened to anyone here? After missing a flight, waiting to get on as standby without luck, has anyone here been told they were out of luck and they couldn't return the next day, or has anyone been told they could return the next day?
Old Jan 14, 2009, 7:54 pm

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
I have read this thread since it was posted and subsequently; and I keep wondering why someone doesn't question the fare paid. So I'll pose it myself. If it was a refundable fare, most of the conjecture is academic. If not, I think the OP has an answer. Nothing is certain.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 8:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by jetsetter
The question is really what happens to the space booked in the PNR and the e-ticket coupon when a pax no shows a flight. I imagine Sabre cancels the no show segment and perhaps downline segments in the same PNR. I am less sure that AA technically voids out the unused electronic ticket coupon immediately when a pax no shows a flight. This would create a burdensome administrative process e.g. evry time a pax gets hung up at security, if the system really voids out the unused electronic ticket coupons.

I have no idea frankly, but I bet they void out the unused electronic ticket coupons sometime between say midnight and 7:00 A.M on the night that the pax no shows the flight and does not call AA.
I don't know the specifics on the schedule of AA's system, but yes they do have a system which goes through and cancels downline segments and flips the status on all remaining flight coupons to NOGO after a no-show. I have seen the documentation that it exists, but I don't know whether it runs on every flight every night or selectively. I'm not 100% sure if the automated process is internal to Sabre or not.

However, if I recall correctly, what you experienced at US is what happens at AA. I also think that it's a batch nightly process, as you describe. I've waited hours before phoning up to let them know I won't be flying as ticketed, and my downline segments are intact.

3. What is the official and unofficial procedure followed by AA res and ATO agents if a pax calls on the date of departure but after the flight departure time in terms of whether the ticket value is protected. For example, does it matter if the pax calls with in 2 hours of departure time? Also for instance what if the phone lines are very busy and a pax could not get through to AA once they realize 25 minutes before departure they are going to miss a flight? Is there a lot of variability from agent to agent and res to ATO as to how this is processed?
The policy states the flat tire rule is up to 2 hours. However, I have never encountered any hesitation when I've called up to 8 hours later. Based on my experience alone, I would guess that any time that same day is sufficient.

Also will aa.com:
1. Allow you to complete standby for earlier or later flights? Must you check in at aa.com before your original flight in order to go standby on later flight?
2. Allow you to complete the same day confirmed change option using the web site? Must you complete this aa.com transaction before the original flight?
3. Allow you to cancel your check in, adjust desired standby flight, or do confirmed change after you have completed an initial check in transaction?
1. No. No.
2. No. N/A.
3. No. No. No.

As far as standing by for a later flight, I've had fairly good luck doing this. However, I'm always flying solo, and I'm usually at the top of the list.

The only time this strategy failed me was the Thursday night, the week before Christmas. I got to the airport, was added to the standby list, and was number 23 on the list. Needless to say, I didn't fly that night. I was listed as a voluntary standby behind about 10 oversales and a long list of stranded passengers.

However, even though I was a voluntary standby, I was rolled over to the next morning's flight, and I got on.

No questions. No issues. However, if you wind up in this situation, technically your ticket is not valid for travel. Try everything you can to get past the ticket counter, and handle everything at the club or the gate. Save your prior day's Priority Verification Card. That helps make the case as a rollover from the prior day.

But I routinely will book the lowest fare for that day, and will standby for my desired flight knowing my standby success rate is very high.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I called in with a similar situation last week. I was told that I could call in the cancellation of the flight but as long as i flew the same day after the original flight i could call in any time and get the confirmed seat option. When I told her I wanted that option, i did not here her typing on her keyboard canceling my current res.

So I called back a few hours later after the original flight left and got the same day confirmation for the next flight.

Worked out well, there were only 10 pax on the CRJ.

Wouldn't be nice if AA upgraded their web system to make this all online?
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:56 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Same here.

I once booked a flight from SFO to LAX that departed around 6 or 7am. At the last minute I had to work that day. I showed about at 6pm that afternoon, and got placed standby on the next flight, no fuss, no muss and even got an upgrade.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 8:38 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Thanks

Thanks for these updates. AA's web site seems slick overall so I am surprised that it cannot process standby or same day confirmed at all. On UA you can list for standby only for earlier flights even though they allow standby for later flights. ON US's web site you cannot complete any standby/same day changes as part of the on-line check in.

I strongly agree with the advice on any airline to print your boarding pass, and deal with your issues at the gate or the club.

I am going to try to go same day confirmed or standby on a flight in a few days and I will report my experiences.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by jetsetter
AA's web site seems slick overall so I am surprised that it cannot process standby or same day confirmed at all.
::SpitCoffeeAllOverScreen::
ROTFLMAO!!! Funniest post of the day!
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:34 pm

Just wanted to share my experience today standing by on a later flight...

Originally booked on Flt 160 non-stop from SAN -> JFK at 8:15am. Wanted to go on a later flight in the evening that connected through LAX (SAN-LAX-JFK).

I called in and learned that I needed to CANCEL my flight in order to standby on a later flight. The gentleman I spoke with on the phone (plat desk) explained that if you do not call in or cancel online, you're ticket will have no value and it will be very difficult to get it reintstated. He also said my chances didn't look good for the main leg of my flight (LAX-JFK) and would not recommend standing by even as a plat. I decided to gamble and take my chances.

Upon arrival at SAN, I was told that I needed to go on standby at the commuter terminal since it was an American Eagle flight to LAX.. Got on pretty easily with not much fuss as the flight was nowhere near full. Also, a key point to mention here is I requested and received a standby boarding pass for my LAX-JFK leg upon receiving my seat assignment from the GA at SAN.

Once I arrived at LAX, I went straight to the gate to see if I could get a seat assignment but was told that it would not be assigned until the flight had begun boarding. I went to the AC and got the same response as the GA, I would not receive my seat until I was at the gate. Luckily, I was the first on the standby list and got on just fine (after all passengers and upgrades were processed. Had to check my rollerboard in) I am now sitting in Y using the GOGO internet offered onboard!
Old Mar 23, 2009, 10:07 am

Programs: AA, ICH, Avis, SPG
I have a 1.30 PM flight from JFK, if I want to standby for a later flight is it possible to do it from LGA? Should I just call, ask to be placed on standby for a later flight or should I go to an airport? Thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2009, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by OAK AAFlier
I have a 1.30 PM flight from JFK, if I want to standby for a later flight is it possible to do it from LGA? Should I just call, ask to be placed on standby for a later flight or should I go to an airport? Thanks!
It will depend upon your fare code, so you need to call AA. As others in this thread have indicated, standing by for a later flight is risky. If you are unable to get on, unless you find an agreeable agent you will be charged a change fee and fare difference. If you are able to fly out of LGA, I suggest getting to the airport early to get on the list (which probably means you would be better off just to take your original JFK flight).
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:17 pm

I would call the morning of, let them know your intentions of taking a later flight (and which one as they can give you your odds of making it). They usually confirm that you want to standby on a later flight and will cancel your existing leg to avoid a 'no-show.' I've been pretty fortunate getting on later flights with my plat status (knock on wood..) In regards to going to the airport, the earlier the better. Ex. I went to SAN 4-5 hours before the flight I intended on standing by for just to get on the standby list and the standby 'ticket.' I then went about my business and came back 45 minutes prior to my flight (standby). You can't be placed on the list over the phone.. Has to be done at the airport (in my experience anyway)
Old Mar 24, 2009, 7:25 am

Programs: AA, ICH, Avis, SPG
Originally Posted by jrmstr33
I would call the morning of, let them know your intentions of taking a later flight (and which one as they can give you your odds of making it). They usually confirm that you want to standby on a later flight and will cancel your existing leg to avoid a 'no-show.' I've been pretty fortunate getting on later flights with my plat status (knock on wood..) In regards to going to the airport, the earlier the better. Ex. I went to SAN 4-5 hours before the flight I intended on standing by for just to get on the standby list and the standby 'ticket.' I then went about my business and came back 45 minutes prior to my flight (standby). You can't be placed on the list over the phone.. Has to be done at the airport (in my experience anyway)
thanks for the tip! has anyone tried this switching from one co-terminal to another?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 7:50 am

thanks for the tip! has anyone tried this switching from one co-terminal to another?
I would call AA to get the specific fare rules of your ticket. I tried doing this once (EWR -> JFK), but was told I was not allowed based on the rules of my ticket.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by jrmstr33
I would call AA to get the specific fare rules of your ticket.
Excellent advice. It matters not whether anyone else has done this, if the OP's fare rules won't allow the OP to do it.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 9:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exactly!

And when purchasing a ticket, we can look at the Detailed Fare Rules (I am OC enough to clip and paste into a Word document - I figure nobody is more invested than I am in being aware of, and being able to quote when necessary, the detailed fare rules when something goes not according to plan.)

And I do believe the entire itinerary defaults to the most restrictive segment's fare rules.

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Excellent advice. It matters not whether anyone else has done this, if the OP's fare rules won't allow the OP to do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.