Standing by for a LATER flight

Old Jan 13, 09, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Standing by for a LATER flight

I'm scheduled to fly PDX-SEA-STL on Sunday but, to avoid a 3 hour long layover in SEA (and get some extra sleep), I'd like to standby for a PDX-DFW-STL flight later that day.

Is there any issue showing up after my original flight (an AS-codeshare) has departed trying to standby for a later flight? I'm just afraid my itinerary will show as canceled as a no-show.

Greg
Old Jan 13, 09, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Bad idea to show up after your original flight.
Old Jan 13, 09, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT (Lifetime GLD), Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, AA Dining VIP
This is not recommended at all....always better to book the later flight and try and go standby on an earlier flight.

In additon, since this is a multi-leg flight, you'd be standby on both legs (you might get stuck in DFW)

Last edited by AA-Platinum; Jan 13, 09 at 10:50 pm Reason: Added information
Old Jan 13, 09, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
You just need to call AA before your scheduled departure, tell them you're running late and want to standby later. That will prevent your ticket from being cancelled, and the agent should tell you what your standby chances are. Of course, if you don't get on the later flight standby, you risk not getting to STL at all.
Old Jan 13, 09, 10:48 pm

You need to call and tell them you're going to be late before you miss your first flight. After that, there should be no problem standing by. The downside is that if you don't clear standby, you'll be stuck and there's the risk that if you have to fly the next day you'll be charged a change fee (plus possible fare difference).

So, you can standby for a later flight, but it's risky.
Old Jan 14, 09, 1:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, MM
Contrary to most posts, you don't *HAVE* to call ahead of time and cancel. It may well be advisable to do so and help desk will always say that. It's even good for karma. However, I have often ended up missing flights due to meetings etc without being able to call ahead of time.

Yes, your itinerary does cancel, but frankly so what? In my experience there is little consequence other than when you arrive, you must go to an agent's desk and they will be able to recreate the itinerary and place you on standby for the next flight. Calling ahead of time doesn't help you get any further ahead on the standby list as you only go on standby at check-in at the airport. And the flights are full you are not going to make it on a later flight regardless of whether you called in ahead of time or not.

The rules are that you can standby on any flight on the same day -- from 00:00 to 23:59 on the day of the travel.
Old Jan 14, 09, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by raucous View Post
Contrary to most posts, you don't *HAVE* to call ahead of time and cancel. It may well be advisable to do so and help desk will always say that. It's even good for karma. However, I have often ended up missing flights due to meetings etc without being able to call ahead of time.

Yes, your itinerary does cancel, but frankly so what? In my experience there is little consequence other than when you arrive, you must go to an agent's desk and they will be able to recreate the itinerary and place you on standby for the next flight. Calling ahead of time doesn't help you get any further ahead on the standby list as you only go on standby at check-in at the airport. And the flights are full you are not going to make it on a later flight regardless of whether you called in ahead of time or not.

The rules are that you can standby on any flight on the same day -- from 00:00 to 23:59 on the day of the travel.
Agree completely and my experience as well. That said, calling does provide you with some insight on your chances.
Old Jan 14, 09, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mysteryman2007 View Post
Agree completely and my experience as well. That said, calling does provide you with some insight on your chances.
Calling will also ensure that your seat assignments and upgrades will be preserved.
Old Jan 14, 09, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by hillrider View Post
Calling will also ensure that your seat assignments and upgrades will be preserved.
Agreed.... except, of course, for the flight you are missiing.
... well... the PDX-SEA seating isn't a major deal anyway.
Flat tire rule should take care of not calling before the flight.
Standing by for 2 flights is another issue, since you are planning on changing the routing

You can also pay the $50 for confirm same day change, if available.
This eliminates the risk of missing your flight.

One other thought. Is this an AA flight from PDX-SEA, or at least a code share?
If AS or Horizon, that mgiht be an issue.
Old Jan 14, 09, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by raucous View Post
I don't remember how long the flat tire rule is (I think either two or four hours), but if you arrive sufficiently after your first flight and didn't call in advance, you'll find that your ticket has not only been cancelled but that it no longer has any value and you won't be able to standby. Maybe the AAgents will be nice and ignore this, but they're not obliged to.

So, in most cases just showing up later is probably fine. If the gap between flights is considerable, though (e.g., morning to evening), you'd be smart to call.
Old Jan 14, 09, 7:57 am

There are many great suggestions here. My personal experience is to call ahead of time and let them know I'd like to go later.
Old Jan 14, 09, 12:04 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Internal Sabre Processing, and aa.com?

Hi,

The question is really what happens to the space booked in the PNR and the e-ticket coupon when a pax no shows a flight. I imagine Sabre cancels the no show segment and perhaps downline segments in the same PNR. I am less sure that AA technically voids out the unused electronic ticket coupon immediately when a pax no shows a flight. This would create a burdensome administrative process e.g. evry time a pax gets hung up at security, if the system really voids out the unused electronic ticket coupons.

I have no idea frankly, but I bet they void out the unused electronic ticket coupons sometime between say midnight and 7:00 A.M on the night that the pax no shows the flight and does not call AA.

For example, on United when they void a ticket coupon it is said to be a "0 status" ticket e.g. if the agent displays the e-ticket in Apollo the coupons are "0" instead of "open." When US operated under the Sabre computer system the tickets would go in to a similar status which US called "NoGo."

So the things we need to know are:
1. Exactly when does AA's computer system void out an electronic ticket coupon, and what is the internal jargon name used to refer to a voided out coupon in this way;
2. What level of system access or authorization is required in Sabre for an AA agent to unvoid a ticket coupon. At UA, I am told that in the past a supervisor at the airport could complete this transaction, however, now apparently it can only be done by the UA ATO agent help desk and they are often not willing to do it. I only had this done once at UA and 2 agents had to call the help desk and it seemed very dicy but after slamming the phone down and disappearing in to the back offices somehow they got the ticket reinstated;
3. What is the official and unofficial procedure followed by AA res and ATO agents if a pax calls on the date of departure but after the flight departure time in terms of whether the ticket value is protected. For example, does it matter if the pax calls with in 2 hours of departure time? Also for instance what if the phone lines are very busy and a pax could not get through to AA once they realize 25 minutes before departure they are going to miss a flight? Is there a lot of variability from agent to agent and res to ATO as to how this is processed?

Also will aa.com:
1. Allow you to complete standby for earlier or later flights? Must you check in at aa.com before your original flight in order to go standby on later flight?
2. Allow you to complete the same day confirmed change option using the web site? Must you complete this aa.com transaction before the original flight?
3. Allow you to cancel your check in, adjust desired standby flight, or do confirmed change after you have completed an initial check in transaction?

Sorry for so many questions . If you guys need same info for UA and US I can answer that for you .
Old Jan 14, 09, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by jetsetter View Post
Hi,

Also will aa.com:
1. Allow you to complete standby for earlier or later flights? Must you check in at aa.com before your original flight in order to go standby on later flight?
2. Allow you to complete the same day confirmed change option using the web site? Must you complete this aa.com transaction before the original flight?
3. Allow you to cancel your check in, adjust desired standby flight, or do confirmed change after you have completed an initial check in transaction?
You can't request standby using the website. That has to be done at the airport, via ticket counter, kiosk, or admirals club.
Old Jan 14, 09, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, UA 1P, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
In my experience doing this twice I've shown up and stated that I'd like to get on a later flight to meet a colleague for lunch. I proceed to listen to the subsequent warning that I'm forfeiting my right to fly, and will only be flown on the next flight if there is space available. I understand the warning (knowing that coach is only 2/3 full), and grab a seat on the desired flight.

No experience with calls though.
Old Jan 14, 09, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by geoman244 View Post
In my experience doing this twice I've shown up and stated that I'd like to get on a later flight to meet a colleague for lunch. I proceed to listen to the subsequent warning that I'm forfeiting my right to fly, and will only be flown on the next flight if there is space available. I understand the warning (knowing that coach is only 2/3 full), and grab a seat on the desired flight.

No experience with calls though.

Yes, there is some risk that if 23:59 rolls around and you still haven't managed to get on a flight, you would have to pay a change fee to save the remaining value of the ticket. You can minimize this risk by asking the agent to check the loads (or check on EF) before you ask to cancel your confirmed segment.

If you don't call at all, and show up after the "flat tire" window, then your ticket will have no value at all, and you'll be SOL.

(FWIW, I just looked at some detailed fare rules, and I don't see anything there about a flat tire rule. All it says is that the entire ticket has no value after departure time of any segment if the pax is a no-show and doesn't notify. All futher segments will be canceled.)

Search this Thread